classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lighting options for the Motor House
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Lighting options for the Motor House Reply with quote

Evening all

In the garage I have a motley assortment of old strip lights, some of which are now u/s. I've been reading up on various LED strip lights that are on sale, has anyone here used them in their garage/workshop/den?

thanks, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I was reading something about those too - run from a 12v supply, something like an old PC power supply would do it. I did have a look at some in Maplin when they were closing down, but like so many other things in there, even the desperate-to-get-rid price was quite a bit higher than the likes of Amazon.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just had my office lights (suspended ceiling in square grid pattern) replaced. Gone from square fluorescent type with 4 small tubes to square LED panel fittings.
Huge improvement.
Worthwhile considering LED in my opinion.

Kev
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I have recently swapped the flourescent light in my garage for an LED batten and the difference is incredible, plus uses less electricity too.

Also when you switch it on the light is instantaneous.

I work for an electrical wholesaler, and sales of LED have long since overtaken those of flourescent and incandescent etc.....

Cheers Steve
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Hi Rick,

I have recently swapped the flourescent light in my garage for an LED batten and the difference is incredible, plus uses less electricity too.

I work for an electrical wholesaler, and sales of LED have long since overtaken those of flourescent and incandescent etc.....

Cheers Steve

Me too six LED strip lights in my double garage is a huge improvement over originals, instantaneous and like daylight.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Hi Rick,

Cheers Steve

That's interesting. Do the LED battens fit the standard fluorescent fittings, or are special holders needed? I have eight suspended 4-foot fluorescents in my garage and the light output is not as good as I would like ...
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a new garage built 40' long, 12' wide, 7'7" internal height it has bare block internal walls and a plyboard ceiling, the first 14' of which is painted white. My electrician fitted five 4' led strips with diffusers, they are very thin so hardly affect the headroom, I doubted their power. I find they are bright, giving an excellent spread but if you have any paint faults and are bothered about them, they will glare out at you. I love them. I was going to have 4 on each side as well but I was talked out of it by the sparky, and I'm glad as I would need welding goggles to work!.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LED striplights will fit in place of tubes but the wiring must be modified to eliminate the ballast and starter if fitted quite easy and takes minutes if you can handle main circuit electrics safely.

Instructions are often with the LED tube
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using fluorescents overhead but for my inspection lamp I'm now using an LED that is much more robust the 240 volt filament lamps that I used previously.

Peter
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
D4B wrote:
Hi Rick,

Cheers Steve

That's interesting. Do the LED battens fit the standard fluorescent fittings, or are special holders needed? I have eight suspended 4-foot fluorescents in my garage and the light output is not as good as I would like ...

Just replace the whole unit is best
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been impressed by the small portable LED lamps which have a hook on the end but also a powerful magnet. Much more robust than conventional lead lamps, brighter... and no cables. A large crocodile clip on one of them is always useful.
I will convert all my ceiling fluorescent lamps to LED when time permits but for now I will carry on with my portables.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motorhouse is a tent.

A big tent.

It has a couple of those portable outside lights strung up inside, only needing the extension lead plugging in.

Mostly I don't bother, finding one of these on my head to be just as effective................
https://gsworkwear.com/products/portwest-rechargeable-led-beanie-hat-turnup-b029?variant=11205769527339

Mind, I also have a double portacabin workshop/bits store fully kitted out with strip lights and a multitude of electric heaters....[plus, landlord even fitted a new metal roof!!!]

Thus, I am a bush mechanic, but small lumps can be dealt with inside. Or even, on the kitchen table?
DPP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed many LED lighting schemes in both offices and workshops and they are certainly worth fitting, in simple terms you will,get almost double the amount of light for half the electric cost. They also dont mind being switched on and off frequently.
They come in differant colur options (light output) and cool white are best, LEDs dont deteriorate much with use unlike flourescent lamps, so if you have flourescents and want an improvement without the expense of LEDs then replace all your lamps as the light output will have deteriated over time and opt for cool white as most are fitted with warm white.

Before the days of LEDs I would often relamp factories with cool white lamps or daylight lamps when the customer asked for more lighting.

LEDs are the best way to go though especially as the cost of fittings is reducing, also consider switching arrangements my workshop is switched in 4 rows and I only usually have half lit depending on where I am working.
DHS2Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two pence worth on LED lighting, and it rather goes against the generally postive views. I tried it in our workshop when we were painting our steam engine, we originally had 14, five foot fluorescents. I found the LED too cold and cast too many shadows to paint enamel successfully and thus went back to fluorescents with halogen infill for painting. It seems so much warmer to me.
Dave.
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has got me thinking seriously about replacing my six 4' twin fluro units in my 9 metres by 6 metres workshop with LEDs.

I converted the house a few years ago and am very happy about that. There are two types available here; daylight and warm white. The warm white gives a softer light, certainly for use in the house, but for the workshop, the daylight will probably be more suitable. I will look into this further! Thanks guys!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: