classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Do wire wheels "make" a car?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
lowdrag wrote:
I have wire wheels of course on the E-type, but when the old chrome wires got very doggy I replaced them with new MWS painted wires which to me look better (and more original) than chromed ones. Another point is that they do not reequire inner tubes, so I fitted Blockley tubeless radials and have had no further problems at all. I am not sure, but I believe that even though the spokes are painted they are stainless underneath.

Can I ask you which make of tyres you have on those new MWS wheels and in particular the size and profile please.
If I was to go for, say, 205/80 or 195/65 they will "rub" on the standard size rear wheel spats and I'm not convinced about using the Coombes type imitation spats I do have.

Unlike many, I use the standard size 185/15 which some think look puny. I think they are just fine, and in over 30 years have never needed better. Of course, a V12, with flared arches, used 205/15 tyres but if you fit them to an earlier car be sure to remove the rear bump stops. As regards broken spokes, just run a screwdriver around the wheel once in a while. You'll soon detect the difference in the noise. But, in over 30 years and 125,000 miles I have never had a broken spoke. The early stainless spokes broke easily, but not now. As regards cleaning, the high pressure washer is great with painted wires and I no longer need two hours a wheel to clean them. And E-types run on 72-spoke wheels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: