classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

English Wheel fancies a holiday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: English Wheel fancies a holiday. Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I have an English wheel (good old-fashioned cast frame type) that a friend is storing while I upgrade my workshop.
At least he was. A land sale means i am losing my free storage.
On the face of it, I have to retrieve it and put it into storage. However, another complication is that I am unable to perform any sort of heavy work for a while due to recent spinal surgery.
It occurs to me that someone may fancy a play with it. It can be loaded onto a trailer or flatback where it is.
I would listen to any plan to give it a temporary home. The plan should address:
    Trust. With the best will in the world, anyone on here would be a complete stranger, and when you get to my age you too will ponder the wisdom of handing over four-figuresworth of kit to a stranger.
    Collection. From Huddersfield.
    Timescale. It needs gone ASAP. I will want it back (delivered to Manchester, though I do have a suitable trailer and tractor) but it won't be for a good few months.
    Weight. Heavy. Lifting gear needed. I would guess several cwt.
    Ownership. I am not considering a sale. It is a lovely thing to use. I doubt I could easily replace it.

I shall sit back and await the torrent of suggestions.
    Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not see these about anymore, its a lovely skill seeing one used.
    Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it is not as difficult as some think. It is only a glorified iron!

No-one fancy an extended loan?
    ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love it but no space in the workshop, I have a cheap (box steel) English wheel, and as you say shaping its not as difficult as people think, there are loads of good videos around these days, just playing around with some scraps of metal gives you a real feel for it Smile Its a glorified hammer that simply stretches metal in a controlled way.
    Imagine a flat piece of sheet steel and then visulise where it would have to stretch to make a bowl shape, draw some lines where the stretching need to be and use the wheel to do it...simples

If you get stuffed for storage I have some space in a secure container in Cheshire.

Dave
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: