classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Storage..or lack of...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Storage..or lack of... Reply with quote

I have rented my lock up for over 10 years now, in the summer the people who rent the unit next to me bought a house in Sweden. Their unit is 6 ft wider and when I found out the rent was only a small amount more than mine I asked if I could take over the lease. I was told by the owners that was fine.
Roll on 3-4 months and I have done a lot of tidying and sorting ready for the move and have got it all planned.
Today though I get a knock on the door from the owner (its 2 Brothers and this is the elder), he informs me that they have let the unit to a new person who has agreed to pay a higher rent. He said it as he smiled and said hope I am ok with that but business is business.
Not good and not happy. If only storage was more accessible to everyone.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a mickey-take isn't it, he should have given you the option of matching the higher offer if nothing else although it shouldn't have been necessary if you'd already done a deal. I had a number of issues along those lines when the jolly green giant was stored elsewhere.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not good news Crying or Very sad

Do you have a lease? in which case you will certain rights, without a lease you are a "Tenant at will" ...then the most the landlord has to give you is 30 days notice Sad

Dave
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotten luck that.

What's been happening in this area is that tenants of lock up garages, many of whom have been paying rent for years are being given notice of large rent increases. There's been a change in the estate management of the local large freeholder and they say that rents must be "commercially viable".

I make do with one lock up which I own, my own garage and a carport and I have enough land behind my house to build an usefully sized unit. Kevin2306 who recently visited me can confirm this but because I bought the land from the Forestry Commission (as was, now it's Natural Resources Wales) and they pointblank refused any development on the area as part of the sale conditions.

My cousin's husband built a substantial garage workshop after buying his council house and, boy, am I envious of the facility he has.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel pretty deflated about it now, after being told its all ok and sorted to just him coming round today. He also said he didnt have my phone number so couldn't contact me sooner, strange that the other brother has been texting me lately to answer questions!
So after 10 years of being a good tennant they treat me like this, I am now actively looking for other options.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are lucky you are a reasonable tenant.

Some less pleasant individuals might send the boys round for a little chat. Shocked
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to hear how you have been used, Rootes75. They basically got you to clean and prepare the unit for them to charge a higher rental to someone else. That's mean and nasty.

I'm on a large block of land, so I am lucky. But it has made me think about things over here. Houses nowadays in Western Australia are built on such tiny blocks of land, that there is no way that you could house any 'hobby' cars on your block and I don't know of any small units available for rental.

I hope you can find something suitable close to home at a reasonable price.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point that hasn't gone down well.

There are 6 units at the yard and 3 are occupied by a company, the owner told me yesterday that they had made a mistake with the numbering of the units and the company had been paying Business rates on my unit and the one next door!

He was suggesting that I need to sort it out! No way, their mistake they need to sort it. In the 10 years I have been there we were only given a contract 6 months ago as they needed to prove their income in order to assure a loan.

He said could I just write a letter saying that I was not a business and my unit is being used for hobbies only. He said then the council will probably reimburse the company the rates paid, not a chance, can you see the council paying back 10 years of rates! Anyway, that would mean the company haven't been paying rates on the actual units they are in which are bigger so a higher charge!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
He said could I just write a letter saying that I was not a business and my unit is being used for hobbies only.

I asked about this when I was looking around for somewhere last time, and the council told me that it's not relevant what the building is being used for - if it's registered as a building that business rates apply to, then they are due. The only way around it would be a change of classification, I forget the exact term they used.

Rootes75 wrote:
He said then the council will probably reimburse the company the rates paid, not a chance, can you see the council paying back 10 years of rates! Anyway, that would mean the company haven't been paying rates on the actual units they are in which are bigger so a higher charge!

There is a thing called "small business rate relief" or similar, basically I think it works on the rateable value of the property. Below a certain threshold there are is no council tax due. ( https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-rate-relief/small-business-rate-relief )

As for a rebate, a mate of mine recently discovered that he qualified for the relief, and had done for some eight or nine years. He got the money back from the council, a reasonably substantial amount, and without a lot of hassle. Obviously in this case, if they were to refund money they would set the rates that should have been paid in the other units against the refund, and maybe the company would still have a bill.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He said could I just write a letter saying that I was not a business and my unit is being used for hobbies only. He said then the council will probably reimburse the company the rates paid, not a chance, can you see the council paying back 10 years of rates! Anyway, that would mean the company haven't been paying rates on the actual units they are in which are bigger so a higher charge!

Indeed, the Council is most likely to reimburse. [Mine did, for CT overpaid..]

But, since you have been asked to help, why not 'drop them in it?' so to speak? They cannot complain about your actions......
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there has been no written agreement and I have never been asked to pay Business Rates surely I can say that as far as I am concerned it was inclusive in the rent that I pay?? I don't pay electric as that has always been included in the price.

I am looking for a quick exit now and simply just cut my ties with them.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to rent a small unit so the council contacted me for rates, once I registered as a "small business" (it was irreverent that I didn't run a business from the unit) the rates were reduced to zero.

Half decent workshop/storage space is so hard to come by at a decent price, perhaps we should club together to acquire space?

Dave
8_10 Brass Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my latest solution to too many toys, not enough shed

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Austin Seven special that can fly!

Now that IS special! Laughing
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of someone I knew in the 80s. He had a country cottage as well as his main home so he declared both as the second home with the principal address as the other and ended up paying 50% council tax on both!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: