classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How often does your oldie see use?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: How often does your oldie see use? Reply with quote

Morning all,

It's been a great summer around here, yet "classic" spottings seem to have been a little thin on the ground, except for cars spotted taking part in road runs, or clearly commuting to/from an organised event.

Is regular-use driving of old cars on the wane? Do many owners still use old cars for their daily commute, going to the shops, or just for the sake of having a drive out?

I try using the Moggy every week or so, while little Dodge has seen fairly regular use, apart from when it was laid up while its gearbox wobble was attended to earlier this year.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use mine as much as I should, or as much I want to, there always seems to be some reason for it. I've got a reasonably newly-completed restoration that needs running in, and I've missed several opportunities to do that.

I missed out on a couple of things because I was put off by the combination of very hot weather, a car that runs hot, and I figured it's best to wait until it settles down a bit. Now we're getting into winter, I'm concerned about heavy rain and so on.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to a shoulder injury I've only driven my Riley once this year, on a 100 mile charity drive. By the end I was in agony and had to hang up my car keys for the rest of the summer - a miserable year, driving-wise. Crying or Very sad

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather forecast dictates the use of driving my classics. If it is going to rain, I see no fun in driving the classic. But most of the days whenever there is the need to go somewhere I take the classic.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swallow gets very little use these days. The Dodge Brothers is out more often but not for more than a tootle around the lanes. Sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth to move two cars off the drive to get my old cars out of the garage and more convenient to take the first available one.

Strangely, I get more pleasure from restoration work than I do actually driving the cars.

Confused
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldies are on concessional licence. That means I can use the cars only on club runs or for testing purposes. Between club runs I drive them around the block several times about once a month to get the oil hot and the generator warm. (The local block is about a four kilometre drive) Full licence would cost me about $700-$800 (350-400 pounds) per car per year. Concessional licence costs just over $70 (35 pounds) per car per year.However, I intend to put my A40 tourer back on full licence as it is hardly used any more.

And to make matters worse, like riley541 I am suffering a very crook shoulder that currently restricts my driving!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'try' to use mine whenever an opportunity presents itself.

But much of my essential driving is as 'dad's taxi'..which requires the use of my daily driver.

On a very windy day, the Dellow is a bit of a handful, being very susceptible to cross winds.

But when taxiing for the family, they vaguely object to being crammed into an open car on a rainy day.....even objecting on occasions to the Mustang..even though it has a roof.

However, I think the major issue is the cost of petrol?

My dailies manage 30-35 mpgs...whilst the Mustang, and the Dellow, can but manage the low-to-middle 20's. I really ought to weld up the FIAT 126, to ease the strain on my pension a bit?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How often does your oldie see use? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Morning all,

It's been a great summer around here, yet "classic" spottings seem to have been a little thin on the ground, except for cars spotted taking part in road runs, or clearly commuting to/from an organised event.

Is regular-use driving of old cars on the wane? Do many owners still use old cars for their daily commute, going to the shops, or just for the sake of having a drive out?

I try using the Moggy every week or so, while little Dodge has seen fairly regular use, apart from when it was laid up while its gearbox wobble was attended to earlier this year.

RJ

what about the Transporter Rick, does that get out much?

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How often does your oldie see use? Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Rick wrote:
Morning all,

RJ

Kev

Not for a while actually, I keep meaning to take it for a trundle but as it takes a fair bit of forward planning to take it anywhere, the moment keeps passing Confused

RJ
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old work colleague [and chum] of mine has a wagon [or two]...and has to do part time work to pay for the upkeep....Achieving but the odd mile to the gallon really makes a trip out[for the sake of driving] something that has to be given serious thought.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How often does your oldie see use? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
kevin2306 wrote:
Rick wrote:
Morning all,

RJ

Kev

Not for a while actually, I keep meaning to take it for a trundle but as it takes a fair bit of forward planning to take it anywhere, the moment keeps passing Confused

RJ
I thought you would have a nice sideline going by now; transporting vehicles all around the country ! Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How often does your oldie see use? Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I thought you would have a nice sideline going by now; transporting vehicles all around the country ! Smile

Maybe cars that are open-wheelers, with exhausts down the side Smile

As owners with long/tall vehicles will know, it can be a major job getting things like the jolly green giant out from anything other than a spacious yard. At the very least it requires getting 'erindoors to put on her high vis and watch me back out onto the road (preferably without backing through the fence opposite), but also trimming back overhanging branches etc etc first. More space would be handy - isn't that always the case - so that I could turn it around in the drive (I did do a 100?-point turn once, never again Smile ).

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 47 Hillman has been in regular use up till this year, we have gone classic less this summer and we have really missed it.
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rare week if one or other of my cars is not used. A typical summer month will see the Austin out to two daytime meetings and one evening meeting, the Lancia to three evening meetings; then one or other will be used at least once a week for a shopping trip, and that's all before any weekend events! Once the nights get longer the usage drops to perhaps two or three trips a month.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first year (1993) that I got my SS on the road I had covered 2749 miles by its next MOT.

The maximum that I ever covered in a year was 3267 miles.

At this years MOT I had covered 913 miles since the previous one.

The smallest annual mileage I covered was in 2005 with 113 miles.

The car hibernates when the first salt appears usually in November and usually re-awakens after a few April showers.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: