classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How often does your oldie see use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Series 2a at least twice or three times a week - it's cheaper to run than the TD5 Defender but as soon as the weather starts to get colder the better heater in the Defender has it's attractions.

The Mark 2 I don't use at all. My enthusiasm for the car is re-emerging at last as I build up enthusiasm to continue dismantling it for a bare metal respray.

This week I have trial fitted a cut down rear leather seat from an XJ40 and it fits! The fronts from an XJ40 also fit as well.

You'll read all about this in my series on the re-restoration.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have classics (7) so one or other is used most days throughout the year

I commute in ours a 24 mile round trip in traffic. As I am now semi-retired this is only 3 or 4 days a week.

My wife uses them for shopping and we go out in the evenings in them to the local (below)

I very rarely see a classic weekday out on the road

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iybid1b84r1r8va/2018-05-06%20P5B%203%20Ponds%20Nuthall.jpg?dl=0
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, health problems have meant that usage has dropped over the last two years. A herniated disc blocked out some months of last year, and a virus four months this year, and with the weather we have had that was most galling. Still, hope springs eternal and we hope to pile on some miles with a tour of Scotland next September in embryonic planning. That would add about 3,000.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess shares daily duties with my more modern 1990s Rover so she's out and about usually about three times a week.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An average of 7,000 miles a year over the last 4 years in a 650cc two-cylinder Fiat 500 was gained by all year round, virtually daily driving with a lot of 200 to 300 mile work-related journeys.
The highlight of this year was a massive trip of 2,500 miles around the UK during which, in the course of one month, I was in Durness at the NW tip of Scotland and at St. Austell in Cornwall.
Mog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 60's I had a Fiat 600 found it very hard to get spare parts . Wanted 6 cylinder bolts but could only get 4 from Worcester . Never seen so much rust in an engine block , big flaky pieces .
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mog wrote:
In the 60's I had a Fiat 600 found it very hard to get spare parts . Wanted 6 cylinder bolts but could only get 4 from Worcester . Never seen so much rust in an engine block , big flaky pieces .

This is a different kettle of fish.....in fact no kettle at all because no water. It's air-cooled and should actually be a 499cc but replaced with the 652 from a Fiat 126. Spares are plentiful for this one, Smile
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our '59 VW single cab get plenty use around our homestead- fire wood and apples are its main loads
I love hand cranking the 36hp engine to impress the locals
cheers
Hank
consul 57

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our 96 hilux is used every weekday and has been since it was bought in 2000 baring holidays, well it was used for some holidays as well
modern classics can be used all year no problem, the heaters are the main benefit in winter!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, but '96 isn't really an "oldie", or at least not to me. My main daily driver is only four years newer than that, and I still can't believe that it's now the oldest car I've had as a daily - my Vauxhalls were only 10-odd years old when I ran them all the time.

I don't run the old cars as much as I should, or as much as I intend to. The recent restoration is a case in point - I've missed a few shows because I didn't fancy longer journeys without running it in a bit, but I could easily have run it in a bit if I'd motivated myself.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is the price of fuel!!
On a pension, I have to ration the petrol....

So the Mustang [20-23mpgs] doesn't get as much use as it ought to [it's a good general use car]...and looking at the current weather, the Dellow isn't my first choice for a casual trip to Tesco....it's fuel consumption is something similar, from 1172cc's...but I do tend to drive it as the chassis demands......quickly....so the revs are usually up around the 4000 mark! Also, it doesn't do well in side winds...frightens the other traffic to death, it does, weaving about at high speed, rapidly! It steers very quickly, doesn't slip or slide, but tramlines like booooogery.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
consul 57

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Well yes, but '96 isn't really an "oldie", or at least not to me. My main daily driver is only four years newer than that, and I still can't believe that it's now the oldest car I've had as a daily - my Vauxhalls were only 10-odd years old when I ran them all the time.

I don't run the old cars as much as I should, or as much as I intend to. The recent restoration is a case in point - I've missed a few shows because I didn't fancy longer journeys without running it in a bit, but I could easily have run it in a bit if I'd motivated myself.

yes mike, not really that old, but the heater works much better than my 50's ford!
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine, if cold, day yesterday, so went for a 130 mile trundle - well, why wouldn't you?

colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
A fine, if cold, day yesterday, so went for a 130 mile trundle - well, why wouldn't you?

Spot on... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We own two Rover P4;'s and a SD1. The SD1 is on full registration and is the only vehicle that has a trailer hitch so gets a little use, but age is caching up with the owners, so getting in and out of the SD1 is not as easy as for the P4's. In Victoria (Australia) there is a club-arranged registration allowing a vehicle to be used for either 45 or 90 days of the year. Both P4's are so registered

We now live in close proximity to shops so can often walk to do what we need, but a P4 is used whenever required. In fact, at the time that Rick started this thread, we were off on a jaunt in our 1959 90 involving a trip across Bass Strait to Tasmania and about 1200 miles of enjoyable touring over 11 days.

We seem to clock up about 3 to 5 thousand miles a year in each car.

(I will be posting the story of the Tassy trip soon)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: