classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ever rolled a car?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn’t a set of ‘on demand traffic lights (loop sensors in the minor road) be an answer? That way the traffic could flow freely. We have a narrow railway underpass that operates like that and seems to work fine.

Art
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have often wondered why the authorities place street furniture/signs where the can obscure what would otherwise be a clear view.
https://goo.gl/maps/QzSu5n8owqP2

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Wouldn’t a set of ‘on demand traffic lights (loop sensors in the minor road) be an answer? That way the traffic could flow freely. We have a narrow railway underpass that operates like that and seems to work fine.

Art

My wife suggested the same. Apparently there have been quite a few accidents there.

(Perhaps the old chap thought he was in France where traffic from side roads take priority. Laughing)

I am surprised and pleased that no one was severely injured. It could have been hell of a lot worse.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a BBC interview, it seems the reference to 'his legs' was that one leg was trapped, and had to be freed by a passer-by.

Like nearly all collisions....where one party has 'failed to comply'...etc.etc....we, the public, never get to hear or read about the eventual outcomes. A driver reported for DWDC, etc, may well respond without Court attendance.

This sort of outcome doesn't make good news, and doesn't serve the anti-royalty, or anti-old drivers lobbies at all.

So we don't get the full story.

Plus, the 'winter sunshine' thing in the cartoon diagram is very misleading. When the other car involved came from a northerly direction?

The real issue lies with the speeds involved. With a 60 mph limit, any driver in a side road needs to see a lot further up the main road in either direction, in order to comply with the 'give way' rules.

A 50 mph limit gives everybody concerned, a bit more time to respond.

Yup,the reasons for speed limits is all to do with time!

Question has also to be asked [well, I would do...if I were still in my professional capacity, which I no longer am, so don't care any more].....what sort of action did the Kia driver take on observing [if indeed they did bother to?]..the warning signs on the main road...warning of a road junction ahead? Having been warned, did they then make further observations, to see if any vehicles were waiting [or approaching] the aforewarned junction? What actions did the Kia driver then take, regarding the increased levels of hazard they observed?

All this might also be taken into account ?

{There can be a huge difference between liability as far as insurance is concerned, and contravention of any Law by drivers concerned. Might just be a case of both drivers actually meeting thresholds for careless driving? Possibly?}

Of course, that outcome wouldn't suit the media, or the great unwashed general public, one iota.

Surprisingly, the Duke is a very highly trained driver....but everybody can get things wrong at some point or other.

Often, we get away with it.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:

Plus, the 'winter sunshine' thing in the cartoon diagram is very misleading. When the other car involved came from a northerly direction?

It seems more likelythat it was the Kia driver, if anyone, that was dazzled by the low sun.
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other driver was a 28 year old female, if the young female drivers around my neck of the woods are anything to go by she was probably on her phone.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard they will be reducing the speed limit to 50 mph. The meeting to discuss the speed limit had been arranged before Prince Philip had his crash.

I understand the Queen is the only person in the U.K. who isn't required to have a driving license because they are issued in her name.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The suncalc tool indicates that at about 1500hrs on 17th the sun's angle would have been approx from the SW point of the field below the church, and towards the junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8086229,0.4853991,994m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

http://suncalc.net/#/53.955,-2.7825,14/2019.01.17/15:00

Unfortunately suncalc isn't loading Gmaps at the moment so I can't move it to Norfolk
Norfol is over 3 degrees further East than that Suncalc location so the sunwould have been lower and further west than the angle shown.

Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
alastairq wrote:

It seems more likely that it was the Kia driver, if anyone, that was dazzled by the low sun.

Looking at google maps, it would appear it might have been the Duke who had the winter sun directly in his eyes, from across the road. The other car appears to have been travelling in a ESE direction...

[Where did the 'winter sun' information come from? surely not the Duke himself? Was it supposition by a reporter 'who probably has but basic driving skills anyway?]
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Alastair that is either SSE or SbyE

Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...I was looking at it sideways, as you do?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:
Whatever really happened, it's worth noting that ANY ordinary motorist in this situation would be facing a rap for driving without due care and attention - at the very least. Somehow I doubt Phil has anything to worry about, one rule for them...

What do you think should happen to him? Perhaps he should pay for a roundabout at the junction. It would be good PR and it's not as if he would notice the cost is it?

It is not just the Royals who use that road; there is the caravan park. ...(Presumably a nice little earner for Her Maj. Wink)

As I say, Ray - he should be treated as any other motorist involved in an accident like that, which these days is inevitably going to mean prosecution. How is anyone supposed to have faith in the law unless that law is applied equally to all?
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today the same elderly gentleman has had "words of advice" from the police for driving without a seat belt!
One law for them and one for us!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
And today the same elderly gentleman has had "words of advice" from the police for driving without a seat belt!
One law for them and one for us!

...and I expect Liz has had a few things to say about it too...

There's no fool like an old fool and he is very, very old. Laughing
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke of Hazzard.....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: