classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

[split] Old Range Rovers and rusty Discos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking. If I can get some replacement rubber strips for not too much money I could try repairing the window frame but I have been told that the Land Rover dealerships think they are made of solid gold and encrusted with diamonds.!

I used to have a 3.5 litre 4 door. It was a very early Vogue version with deep wooden door cappings. I loved that car. In fact I had knew it from new when it was owned by an Army Major who really looked after it.

My P38 was originally a Chelsea tractor so low miles but although it had been well maintained there was no service history. The dealer I bought it from must have been related to a certain Arthur Daley. He sold me the car on the understanding that he would forward the history which he had been promised by the previous owner. I waited for the service history but after weeks of excuses I tracked down the p.o. only to find that he didn't ever have any history.!!! We live and learn.

The electronics are a nightmare. The worst thing is that there are some unusual wiring tricks which can catch you out. One feature is a fancy relay under the passenger seat that controls the EAS. After you have put the car away it wakes up again and keeps doing so every six hours. The computer thinks it has to keep checking the car is level. If there is the slightest leak on one corner it will self lower the other corners to get it level. There is not a problem for a car in daily use but over the course of a week or so the battery can go flat. I replaced the relay with a bog standard one and that stopped that little game!

A few months ago I had what I thought was a starter motor/ solenoid problem but in fact the starting problem was traced to the EAS compressor which had burned out blowing the 40 amp fuse which oddly also protected the starter solenoid.!!!

Ironically, there is a 35mph limit mode in the event of EAS failure but you can't get home if the car won't start!
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LSE was the original mule for that EAS system, and yes, I know just what you mean about flat batteries and car on the bump stops! The good thing with LSEs was that it didn't have the 35mph restriction, so although you were on the bump stops, on a good road you could still get along a bit. Wasn't good when towing though! I did eventually buy a tool called a Kicker which cleared the fault and allowed the car to operate normally, but you had to have the fault fixed later. It was almost always a height sensor.
The last time it failed was two days before leaving on our annual 3 month Eurojaunt, and it would not lift, even with the Kicker, so I replaced the air bags with springs, with the intention of sorting it out when we got back home, but sadly, the car was diagnosed with terminal rust, so that never got done.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also bought a kicker. I used it to re set the system after I had rebuilt it. I keep it in the glovebox. I also have four Schrader valves which I can fit and inflate each corner if I need to.
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the Range Rover appreciation society? Now in my third year with a P38 2000 2.5 DSE and so far all's well (touches wood).

Originally an unexpected purchase from the second owner of over 12 years who was giving up driving, I thought it was too good to miss. It had been standing for more than a year though, so a new battery and some 'recommissioning' was on the cards.

So far I've replaced the fan with an electric one and used Ray's trick of changing the EAS relay, although I have now changed the rear suspension bags. All the essential stuff is in good order but a schedule of 'to do' jobs is all part of the process of bonding with a Landrover product!

I think the HEVAC could work better than it does and then there's a saggy headlining to fix and so on.

Seems that the RR Classic is getting too valuable be a daily driver so P38 is a good alternative. Values on the way up too I reckon.
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our world of deep pockets and torn-out hair!.
As I've said, having owned RRs for 25 years, I'm currently without one as mine suffered from terminal rust. It is to be replaced by a seies one Discovery, but it will have my RR V8 fitted.
Ray white is more your P38 man than me, but as I'm also in soth wales, if I can be of any help, ask away.
Ps. the only problem I can see with your car is that it is diesel!
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Welcome to our world of deep pockets and torn-out hair!.
As I've said, having owned RRs for 25 years, I'm currently without one as mine suffered from terminal rust. It is to be replaced by a seies one Discovery, but it will have my RR V8 fitted.
Ray white is more your P38 man than me, but as I'm also in soth wales, if I can be of any help, ask away.
Ps. the only problem I can see with your car is that it is diesel!

Looking at the mistakes in that post, i think it's time I put the bottle away and went to bed!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Disco ownership is very much love (well, like) / hate, it's a great tool (especially on LPG) and if it were well made I'd never replace it, but the quality is rubbish/low rent in just about every regard. Erindoor's little Grand Vitara is wayyyyyy better built. Much as I admire its abilities when fully functioning, no Land Rover product will ever drip oil or numerous other fluids on our driveway again after the Disco breathes its last, which is a shame really as it's a nice old thing to drive (for a lofty old 4x4 that is) thanks to its fruity-sounding V8, and effective ACE suspension.

From what I read - and hear from people who should know what they're on about - the later ones are just as poor if not more so, again cementing my plans to avoid any L-R in future.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that despite the title of this thread my 2000 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue is not rusty. In fact it is in lovely condition. It is a special edition with bespoke leather and various other extras like special colour co ordinated wheels but best of all is the metallic red paintwork. It is simply beautiful. I also find it a pleasure to drive as it suits my easy going relaxed style of driving. It is also an LPG conversion. The P38, however, is a challenge to own but despite all the electronics most things are within my limited abilities.

My previous Range Rover was a very early 3.5 Vogue which was also nice but it had had one hell of a thirst. It also handled like a boat at sea. Fortunately, I was able to use my surplus petrol allowance to subsidise it.

One big stinker of a job on the P38 is leaking heater matrix "O" rings. If the carpet is wet and feels slippery the chances are this is the problem. The job can take days. The manual says the entire dash has to come out but there are apparently some short cuts. I don't relish the job. So far, fingers crossed.....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In recognition of the fact that not all 10yr+ old Land Rover products are decaying old wrecks, and to keep Ray and his P38 happy, I've amended the title of the thread slightly Smile

RJ

PS Disco MOT passed today
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
In recognition of the fact that not all 10yr+ old Land Rover products are decaying old wrecks, and to keep Ray and his P38 happy, I've amended the title of the thread slightly Smile

RJ

You, Sir, are a gentleman. Very Happy
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just heard that my Disco now has the RR engine in and running, but he's having trouble marrying up the two different LPG systems. I've told him to just get it right on petrol; I'll sort the gas,or get our local LPG man to do it.
The possible problem there is that it only has a 5 gallon petrol tank, so getting it back from Leicester might be challenging!
MOT next, then I see about collecting it in January.
I'm sort of looking forward to having a Disco, but I feel it will be a bit strange after 25 years of classic RR, the last two of them rather special LSE.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

You, Sir, are a gentleman. Very Happy

From what I remember of my proposed Disco, it's not rusty either! (well, not very!) I hope!
Salopian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange things Land Rovers - Had my 1994 Discovery 1 300 tdi ES for 14 years and am second owner. I have the complete service history and at 175000 miles mechanical non sevice items amount to a head gasket (96000 miles) power steering pump (123000 miles) front and rear u/js (144000 miles) brake discs and piping (171000 miles). Otherwise it is apart from service items as it left the factory. The Mot is usually advisory free as well.
Now the bodywork - spent a week or so 3 years ago on boot floor replacing waxing etc but basically not too bad to my surprise as it lives outside and has the sunroofs which apparently leak - I've been lucky never opened them anyway!.The chassis is sound. The aircon is a bit feeble now but doesn't bother me.
Its probably due a few rubber suspension bushes but still drives well and at only a few miles now each year they can wait.
Why is this strange? well my sons 1994 Discovery 1 at less mileage looks like it has been kept in the sea and a friend had a new one back in 1994 which needed 2 gearboxes under warranty in its first year!
I'm very found of mine its a useful car trailer tower owes me nothing and starts first turn.
To buy they are a fraction of the overblown price of a Defender (which rot like no other I also have a 110) and a darn sight nicer to drive.
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst in the area over New Year I paid a visit to my Disco (as he is still in hospital after his heart transplant), and he looked quite well. The doctor said he might well be discharged next week, subject to him passing his MOT. (the car, not the doc!)
'twill be nice to see over the hedges again; the Kangoo is doing a splendid job, but its very low.
Norseman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salopian wrote:
Strange things Land Rovers
I'm very found of mine its a useful car trailer tower owes me nothing and starts first turn.
To buy they are a fraction of the overblown price of a Defender (which rot like no other I also have a 110) and a darn sight nicer to drive.

As my first post on this forum I'm glad to have found fellow LR owners. Over the years I've owned five series models & four RR classics, my current steed being a low mileage '87 Vogue. It was well looked after by it's previous two owners & in the last ten years I've had it professionally wax/Dinatrol treated twice with annual check-ups. The plus side of this expensive regime is the knowledge that the vehicle is appreciating in value as a result of it's original condition.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: