classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Welding disasters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 years ago, I managed to blow the back roof, and half the back wall, off my garage.

I had a rolling chassis, sitting on a trailer, in my double length garage.....using an arc welder [Sureweld]....to mount some small brackets, or some-such, down by the garage door end.
20 feet away or so, planted behind a tool bench, at the back end of the garage, was a recently fully charged battery.

Needless to say, a big gob of spatter took off, cleared the length of the garage , down behind the workbench....all in slow motion....the subsequent explosion as it hit the fully charged battery was impressive.
At the time I was lying down alongside the trailer, welding the chassis mounted on top......but the explosion lifted the corrugated roof panels at the far end, clean off, and knocked the top two lengths of slatted concrete walling off the top of the rear wall.

Behind the garage [and home] was a field, followed by what normally would be considered to be Greenland! {Or, felt like it!]
Re-building consisted of hopping over the back hedge, and retrieving sundry large pieces of garage.

I was annoyed as I was fully aware of how gassy a newly charged battery could be, and had deliberately hidden it from view, well away from where I was welding.......
Best laid plans, etc??
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, works a treat as is. Mapp is a mix of propane and acetylene if I'm not mistaken. Propane and oxygen works well I believe but more heat from mapp.
OuBallie wrote:
Paul,
Did you have to do any mods to the sapphire unit?

Geoff - Just about back to normal at last.

OuBallie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

Geoff - Ham & cheese with Rooibos consumed.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
Rusty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any "disasters" myself, but my brothers father in-law was restoring a Mk 1 Cortina and because he didn't have welding gear or experience decided to do a course on bodywork at his local tech school. He was busily welding away under the car one evening when he noticed a "glow" from the metal of the floor pan near where he was working. Taking a step to the side he saw that the entire car was being consumed by fire on the hoist at the school. The long and short of it the car was totally destroyed !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: