classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Runs in inclement weather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Runs in inclement weather Reply with quote

While you folk in the northern hemisphere suffer the cold of winter, we have the opposite down here. Although it can be just as unpleasant.

Yesterday was our local club run for Sunday morning coffee in Bindoon. A 100 km return drive for me. I had planned on using the '26 Chrysler. However, when the temperature topped out at 44 degrees Celsius, I became a coward and drove up there in the air conditioned modern! The Chrysler would have been OK with the temperature, but the passengers wouldn't have been!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my Model A Ford Tudor Sedan, I was often out and about in hot weather. Just have the windows wound down and the windscreen open just a little to get as much airflow as possible.

In cold weather, on a lengthy run, even though there was no actual heater fitted, the car warmed up nicely via the four cylinder heater up front. On hot days, that engine heat added to the that from the outside air.

Once I had a thermometer with me recording 121 degrees F. That was rather cosy!
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still vividly recall a trip on business in a taxi in Boston (Mass.) in very hot weather. The cab didn't have aircon so I wound the window down to put my hand into the slipstream but soon retracted it as it felt just like an oven!

Peter Sad
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have ever experienced temperatures as high as 30°, never mind 40°+! This is my idea of inclement weather:

emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Wales, so almost every run is in inclement weather!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall returning from a vehicle run in one of my old trucks, there was a huge storm, thunder/lightening and very heavy rain. The main reason I remember it is due to the fact the wipers completely packed up and I had to stick my hand out the window with a cloth to wipe it, we got soaked!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there just isn't a choice. On our international rallies you just have to carry on to get to the next hotel. Many's the time I have parked up under a bridge on the hard shoulder or pavement because the rain was so hard the wipers couldn't cope. Oh - and stuck in snow in July at St. Moritz!
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Having said it is soft southerners that have problems, I have just spent 2 and a hallf hours travelling 4.5 mls; OK it was a glazed surface after about an inch of snow, but I didn't have problems moving in 1st and 2nd on tickover so why was everybody else using bootfulls of throttle and wagging the front and rear of their vehicles all over the place?
If they hadn't been there I could have done it in about half an hour, or may be less without any drama.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many people have been brought up believing the Jeremy Clarkson way is the only way to drive Shocked
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman, Although we don't have much, if any, ice to deal with here, we have drivers with that same unaccountable mentality when it comes to slippery mud. I have never understood why, when it is obvious that a slow turning wheel will give traction and a over-powered fast one will just slip.
Norseman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I didn't have problems moving in 1st and 2nd on tickover so why was everybody else using bootfulls of throttle and wagging the front and rear of their vehicles all over the place? .

Back in the mid 'seventies I had a similar experience whilst driving a Green Line coach. On two separate occasions, out of all the cars mine was the only vehicle to make it up a snow/ice covered hill by driving in the same manner, with a semi-auto transmission.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember taking my Dad back home to Portsmouth in January 1980. I had a Mk 1 Golf S, 1500cc and rubber mats, and stayed with friends on Portsdown hill that night. In the morning the car was like a block of ice and it took 30 mins to even open the door, then another 30 to de-ice the car enough to drive. I drove very cautiously, and knew we were in for it when the gritter lorry came up the hill in reverse at Sutton Scotney. It was now snowing heavily, so south of Newbury I pulled into a pub (30 miles in two hours by now) to have a coffee or tea. It was impossible to leave, the snow being over the hub caps by now, and more and more people arrived and we all had to spend the night as best we could, on chairs benches and whatever. I had taken one of the only rooms, but when a couple, the wife 8 months pregnant, arrived I relinquished it and slept on the floor in front of the fire. It took two days to get home to Leicester, but I'll always remember the wonderful full english breakfast the landlady cooked up the next morning. The pub is no more sadly, but I often called in if down that way.

Last edited by lowdrag on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Norseman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I had taken one of the only rooms, but when a couple, the wife 8 months pregnant, arrived I relinquished it and slept on the floor in front of the fire. It took two days to get home to Leicester.

You are a gentleman sir Smile

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that last years long hot spell over summer did put me off using my older cars as much as I should have done. I had a number of events planned for my recent restoration, but as it's running a little warmer than I'd like, I didn't want to tempt fate.

I have done quite a number of shows in wet weather. It's disappointing for everyone, especially if there's an autojumble and everything has to be covered up, but there's nothing to be done. Strange that I wouldn't usually let rain put me off, whereas I did let hot dry sunny weather put me off last year.

I do recall when my Firenza was a daily driver, on more than one occasion I had to set it running to warm up while I brushed several inches of snow off the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: