classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morgan sell off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Morgan sell off Reply with quote

It appears that an Italian investment outfit are to take majority ownership:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6774471/Italian-company-buys-iconic-British-sports-car-maker-Morgan.html

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite shocked by this news. I am saddened by it too.
How Morgan can hope to increase sales whilst maintaining exclusivity and their famed craftsmanship I don't know. The price will have to come down. I recently enquired about buying a new entry level 4/4 and was alarmed that they now start at £40,200. !!!... Needless to say, I didn't place an order.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toured the factory some years ago [I had a 4/4 series 1, 4 seater].....I also knew the late Geoff Margetts [ who worked for Morgan]....To my eyes, modern legislation, and modern customer-led styling ideas, had turned the Morgan from a proper sports car, into a gucci handbag.
The customer base had changed dramatically. from the '70's and before.....customers were no longer tolerant of the compromises a proper sports car imposed on the owner....
No-one wants to buy a proper sports car these days [aside from a very insignificant few]...
A similar trend can be seen in, of all things, the style [and market] of trainers?
Folk will 'go' for the name on the side....and because to use a trainer that is specifically geared for running, isn't practical for day-to-day use, the 'makers' also have a range of comfy, normal use trainers, that live off the trade name....the reputation.
''Look, I am wearing a [insert fancy trade name here] pair of trainers....they are 'sporty'...and give folk the impression I, too, am 'sporty'...[no darned good for sprinting, however]...''
This is what open-top [2 seaters?] cars have become...even the famed Mazda Miaga is a vehicle that offers comfort without the need for compromise....[yet is seen as a 'sports car'...?]
I don't think Morgan will change significantly...but it may gain an improved management?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastair you make a very good point. Range Rovers are another case in point. Rather than concentrating their efforts on competing with Toyota they tried to market themselves as somehow superior and ended up with an unreliable off road vehicle which will never see mud. A certain Mrs Beckham got involved. Need I say more?
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Alastair you make a very good point. Range Rovers are another case in point. Rather than concentrating their efforts on competing with Toyota they tried to market themselves as somehow superior and ended up with an unreliable off road vehicle which will never see mud. A certain Mrs Beckham got involved. Need I say more?

I just saw a new Range Rover, (well, it said Range Rover on the front) and it was lowered to about three inches off the floor! No, the suspension hadn't sagged. It also had tyres like black rubber bands.
What the hell is the point of that?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I just saw a new Range Rover, (well, it said Range Rover on the front) and it was lowered to about three inches off the floor! No, the suspension hadn't sagged. It also had tyres like black rubber bands.

What do LRJ do? target farmers or target the Chelsea tractor brigade? / go out of business or try and keep the business's head above water selling to folk who don't need 4x4 99% of the time, but like the fact it's a 4x4.?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't blame Tata for taking advantage of Western decadence. If we had been more astute perhaps JLR would still be in British hands. Same with Morgan I guess. As a society we only have ourselves to blame. How it gets put right is beyond me.

I have to admit if it hadn't been for the Chelsea Tractor Set, I wouldn't have been able to afford my Range Rover. I paid just £4k six years ago for an immaculate low milage Chelsea tractor and have never felt guilty about someone else taking the depreciation hit.!
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
emmerson wrote:
Ray White wrote:

What do LRJ do? target farmers or target the Chelsea tractor brigade? / go out of business or try and keep the business's head above water selling to folk who don't need 4x4 99% of the time, but like the fact it's a 4x4.?

I must agree with you Dave, but it's not what RRs were designed for is it? If people want a low-flying sports car, why buy a gallumping great 4x4?
One of the LR magazines interviewed a LR designer a few years ago and brought up the same point that you've made, to which the man replied that they sell every car they make, so who's got it right?

Dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a human behaviour TV documentary I saw not long back......

Concerning how we are 'programmed' to view 'quality', [and, naturally, taste?]

The experiment concerned a crowd of ordinary folk, asked to taste two paper cups of tea...to decide which one they thought was the best?

Both were made from the same tea [unbeknownst to the guinea pigs]....without exception they all voted for one particular cup. [of the two]

They were then told the truth, but were all convinced tea out of the chosen paper cup tasted 'better'.....then more truths were declared....one paper cup ha a small weight glued on underneath...and it was the tea from the weighted cup that was deemed tasted the best.

The same test was also conducted using typical paper cups, and pot mugs....same result, the pot mugs won every time.

Seems we are 'programmed' [by society?] to believe anything which is 'heavier'' must be better quality.

I firmly believe that, when we actually cannot physically measure the 'weight', then something that looks heavier, must be heavier, and our minds say, that equates to better quality..[IE, stronger, better-built, more protective, etc]
Hence why I believe these slab-sided panzer wagons manufacturers are busy selling to us , are so popular.
Something in our brains tells us a slab-sided [ie, heavier-looking?] car must be better built, better quality, stronger, etc....than its predecessors, which had low waistlines, more glass, etc.

Which doesn't explain to me,as a one-time bus driver...why Scottish saloons used to have those quite narrow [shallow?] side windows...when compared to their English equivalents? [which would have quite deep side windows?]...making the Scottish saloons look more like armoured cars than service buses.....

NB, a 'saloon' for me is a single-deck stage carriage bus....[or coach if DP]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P38 is really ideal for me. I live on a rough country lane and the RR takes it in it's stride. I can also trundle across our paddock even when the grass is wet and the towing ability - being a heavy vehicle - is competent. The ride height is great and there is fabulous all round visibility compared to most cars. The cabin is a nice, comfortable place to be and it has 'used leather' smell.

So far, it's as reliable as anything else but you have to keep on top of things and be prepared for the technology to bite you. I have a "kicker" and if the EAS fails I have four schrader valves which can be fitted in moments to restore 'fixed' air suspension.

I used to have a 1984 Range Rover which was a thing of beauty but in those days I didn't need a 4x4 so I could have been accused of simply showing off. The fact is that I had always wanted a Range Rover since visiting the Earls Court motor show with my Father where it was launched (1969/70?).
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
The P38 is really ideal for me. I live on a rough country lane and the RR takes it in it's stride. I can also trundle across our paddock even when the grass is wet and the towing ability - being a heavy vehicle - is competent. The ride height is great and there is fabulous all round visibility compared to most cars. The cabin is a nice, comfortable place to be and it has 'used leather' smell.

So far, it's as reliable as anything else but you have to keep on top of things and be prepared for the technology to bite you. I have a "kicker" and if the EAS fails I have four schrader valves which can be fitted in moments to restore 'fixed' air suspension.

I used to have a 1984 Range Rover which was a thing of beauty but in those days I didn't need a 4x4 so I could have been accused of simply showing off. The fact is that I had always wanted a Range Rover since visiting the Earls Court motor show with my Father where it was launched (1969/70?).

Ray, I can identify with all of those points, except mine was a LSE. I'm going to collect my Discovery 1 on Sunday. It will be interesting to compare the two cars over the next couple of weeks, but it's been six months since the LSE went, so maybe my mind will accept the Disco quicker!
BTW, is it compulsory to "need" a 4x4? I've had 'em cos I want 'em! Smile
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my first Range Rover, I had members of my wife's family openly chastise me for it.... "What do you want a b....dy great thing like that for?" I found myself making excuses for it. I wasn't lying when I said that my wife wanted something bigger because she felt vulnerable in an ordinary car after a serious accident in which our Vauxhall Cavalier was written off.

For my part, I didn't need a Range Rover - or any 4x4 - but like I have said before my Dad was so impressed that he almost bought one but called it off when he realised quite how thirsty it was.

The car I eventually bought was one I had known from new. It had been owned by a local man and I had always admired it. Despite it's low milage and immaculate condition it was very cheap. I made £1k when I sold it a few years later.

So No, you don't have to NEED a 4x4 to own one. I certainly didn't have any off road ambitions when I bought my 3.5 Range Rover - it just looked sensational and made a statement in the Company car park. The irony is that the business that I was trying to succeed in went belly up and my wife and I moved away from the crowded South East to Derbyshire for a gentler life style.
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I used to have a 1984 Range Rover which was a thing of beauty

Interesting as I also own a 1984 RR.
I was looking for a Range Rover 7 years ago when I realized it could be used as a daily transport, the costs would be acceptable provided it was equipped with LPG. So I started to look for a 2 door as I think these are the most pure. They were too expensive in the Netherlands but less so in France so the search extended to France. In Normandy (see pic) I found a 1984 example. The owner was an enthusiast which meant the car was far from original but instead was updated. He has the seats recovered with nice leather, it has electric windows (was standard for 1990+ cars), it has air conditioning, a reconditioned engine (new bearings, pistons, valves) plus a 4 speed ZF automatic gearbox (as used in newer versions). No rust and decent paint.
The trip from France to home was quite eventful as the engine for one reason or another did not go over 3000 rpm.
Whatever, at home I checked it all over, replaced the distributor and installed an LPG system with the tanks under the boot floor. This worked very well. I also installed remote central door locking.
Loved that car, used it for three years when the tax system in the Netherlands changed. Suddenly I had to pay hundreds of euros tax whereas before it was exempt. Too much for me, so I drove the car into the shed where it still is. It has to wait another couple of years: when it has the age of 40 again it is tax free and I will use it again. I can't wait!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: