classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cheapo 20/50 - still ok or a false economy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Norseman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="emmerson"]
But the V8 was designed 50 years ago, so maybe it shouldn't have had synthetic anyway.[quote]

I've owned four RR Classics over the past 18 years & the general consensus amongst RV8 owners is that a quality mineral oil with high zinc is the best for two reasons (1) the oil pumps on these engines are not the most efficient & find synthetics too 'slippery' to get a grip on & (2) the flat tappet design benefits from a generous zddp content to reduce cam gear wear.
I tend to use products like Valvoline VR1, Penrite etc. (depending on the deals available at the time) as these state the zddp content whereas some other 'classic' oils do not.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthetic oil is best for any engine and anyone who says otherwise is misguided.

I advise watching the various oil company videos on YouTube that dispel all the old wives tales from people determined not to spend the extra.

Cams and tappets need synthetic oil most in old engines.

Mobil 1 has numerous videos worth watching.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Synthetic oil is best for any engine and anyone who says otherwise is misguided.

I advise watching the various oil company videos on YouTube that dispel all the old wives tales from people determined not to spend the extra.

Must disagree there Ashley. If that's true then why did simply changing from synthetic to mineral put out the oil light? Maybe imagination, but the engine sounded sweeter too.
I did find the other day though, that mineral oil is not generally stocked at petrol stations.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Ashley wrote:

Must disagree there Ashley. If that's true then why did simply changing from synthetic to mineral put out the oil light? Maybe imagination, but the engine sounded sweeter too.
I did find the other day though, that mineral oil is not generally stocked at petrol stations.

If you need to buy oil at petrol stations it's probably time to do something about the oil consumption... Smile
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too disagree Ashley, the fact the oil companies produce the videos tells an old cynic like me all I need to know. I respect your opinion but will continue to use the grade of lubrication that a great many long-term RV8 owners & engine re-builders (both private & trade) put their faith in.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The facts are as follows.

1. Synthetic oil is thinner when cold and more quickly reaches where it’s needed than mineral.

2. Synthetic oil doesn’t dissolve in petrol so reduces bore and ring wear, which is a problem when the choke is out or the carbs flood.

3. Synthetic oil maintains viscosity to much higher temperatures and pressures, so might prevent a seizure in an overheating engine or maintain oil pressure when mineral oils won’t.

4. Synthetic oil clings to surfaces for longer so that an engine left for a long time will have better protection of cams, tappets, cylinder bores etc when you start it.

5. Synthetic oil can withstand high pressures so that cam and bore wear is reduced.

As I’ve already said, oil companies tend to recommend the same synthetic oils for older cars as they do for racing engines.

The reasons are.

1. Old cars tend to be undergeared, so a Morris Minor is doing 4,000 rpm at sixty and some moderns 2000 rpm at eighty.

2. Older cars have longer strokes and higher piston speeds too, so are much more highly stressed.

3. Older cars have less good camshaft and tappet design so wear more quickly. synthetic oil virtually eliminates wear.

About forty years ago I read a piece in a BMW bike owners magazine about the company’s testing of Mobil 1. They picked a car with sixty thousand miles on it, switched to Mobil 1, drove it to a million million miles and then stripped the engine. Everything was still within wear limits.

Subsequently numerous other car companies have published similar findings. Even Rolls-Royce recommended it for all their engines back to the Silver Ghost and Paul Wood of P&A Wood is using it in an Rotary engined WW1 plane he owns because it gives better protection and doesn’t dissolve with petrol. A problem with rotary engines.

The science is fact, proof that synthetic oil is best for your engine whatever you might think.

Obviously if you’re not bothered about the future or future owners, it doesn’t matter, but I use it in all my cars for the stated reasons.

As I said, you’ll find all this on YouTube though I actually phoned oil company chemists to make sure I’d understood correctly.
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt your facts Ashley but perhaps you should bear in mind that my original reply to this thread concerned Emmerson's post who was running a RV8. These engines (ex GM/Buick) were designed in the late '50/early'60's so are not as ancient as those installed in cars you seem to be referring to. The RV8 is both over-square & low stressed (certainly in it's basic tune role) & can handle quite low oil pressure without detriment.

Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:
I don't doubt your facts Ashley but perhaps you should bear in mind that my original reply to this thread concerned Emmerson's post who was running a RV8. These engines (ex GM/Buick) were designed in the late '50/early'60's so are not as ancient as those installed in cars you seem to be referring to. The RV8 is both over-square & low stressed (certainly in it's basic tune role) & can handle quite low oil pressure without detriment.

They’ll still benefit from better oil.
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Norseman wrote:

They’ll still benefit from better oil.

Don't think it's question of better, more like suitable. Think I'll leave it there.

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it can be proved that synthetic is better than mineral but please, please don't switch straight from mineral to synthetic with an engine full of sludge; especially where only a gauze strainer is used as a filter.

There are detergent free mineral oils available from Penrite etc. and these would be a safer bet until the engine is rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned; at which point a synthetic oil should reap the dividends that Ashley has described.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The garages I have used over the last 20 to 30yrs for my driving school cars always recommended Semi-synthetic.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
emmerson wrote:
Ashley wrote:

If you need to buy oil at petrol stations it's probably time to do something about the oil consumption... Smile

Had a chuckle at that BB, but I must agree. As the engine was rebuilt just 25,000 miles ago I don't have that problem. it was simply a case of an oil pipe coming loose, and I lost about a litre of oil, so needed a top up. After tightening the pipe, when checked the oil level was still acceptable, so i drove home and topped it up from my stock.
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:

Very true, Norseman. I believe that the RV8 relies on volume of oil rather than pressure. The pressure a tick-over can be as low as only a couple of pounds.
Ashley, I've no doubt that experts could prove that cocoa is better for you than whisky, but I'll stick to whisky, thank you! Smile
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I am sure it can be proved that synthetic is better than mineral but please, please don't switch straight from mineral to synthetic with an engine full of sludge; especially where only a gauze strainer is used as a filter.

There are detergent free mineral oils available from Penrite etc. and these would be a safer bet until the engine is rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned; at which point a synthetic oil should reap the dividends that Ashley has described.

Wrong!

Watch the Mobil 1 video on YouTube that deals with old wives tales.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Norseman wrote:

Very true, Norseman. I believe that the RV8 relies on volume of oil rather than pressure. The pressure a tick-over can be as low as only a couple of pounds.
Ashley, I've no doubt that experts could prove that cocoa is better for you than whisky, but I'll stick to whisky, thank you! Smile

I don’t understand why anyone would object to using an oil that is actually a significant technical advance.

Twice before in history advances like this have been made.

1. Shell X100 appeared in about 1953 and it was superior to Castrol R. Mechanics were astonished that engines that had previously only lasted about 20,000 were still fine after more than double that.

Some luddites were still using Castrol R in the seventies, which shows how resistant people can be to change.

2. X100 still suffered from being too thick when cold and too thin when really hot, so the next big improvement came in the sixties when multigrades first appeared. They could be thinner when cold and still be thick enough when hot.

3. Fully Synthetic oils first appeared in the late seventies, so it’s surprising that some still haven’t cottoned on, but they actually do virtually eliminate wear and they can be beneficially thinner when cold and also maintain their viscosity at much higher temperatures and pressures than old fashioned mineral oil.

None of this is opinion or advice from a garage mechanic, it’s established scientific fact. Semi synthetic oil isn’t synthetic and doesn’t work as well.

You don’t have to use it, but you can at least accept that it’s the best thing to use or you can do your own research as I did if you don’t believe me

Fully synthetic is original equipment on my modern cars as it is on most now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: