classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lucas NCJ101 regulator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
johnboy183

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Lucas NCJ101 regulator Reply with quote

Hi
I am updating (!) my 1950 Sunbeam S8 motorcycle and find fitted to it (but unused) the above regulator which I understand was standard spec on 1970s Nissans.
I can find no information on this regulator and am also puzzled by the pinout. As I am fitting a Kubota PMA alternator to the bike it would be nice to know if this regulator would do the job for such a two wire single phase alternator.
Anyone that can help me with information on the regulator or hazard a guess at the pinout letters I would be very grateful.
6 Pins marked N, A, L, E, F, IG
kind regards
John
DM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinouts for the regulator are
N Stator
A Positive
L Indicator
E Negative -
F Field
IG Ignition +

However the regulator is no good to use with a permant magnet alternator, you would need to get the correct regulator to go with your alternator.
johnboy183

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you DM - you are the first person to identify these for me (although some i had guessed). Is this for a two wire 3 phase alternator then - or what? as I thought I knew most of the common alternator pinouts.
By the way I like your Avatar as it reminds me of my very first bike (inherited from my father) which was a 1934 BSA 250cc B34 with tank change etc. Wish I still had it now
kind regards
John
DM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is this for a two wire 3 phase alternator then - or what? as I thought I knew most of the common alternator pinouts."

Almost, as the regulator you have needs a connection from the stator terminal as well.

"By the way I like your Avatar as it reminds me of my very first bike (inherited from my father) which was a 1934 BSA 250cc B34 with tank change etc. Wish I still had it now"

It's from the 1932 B2 OHV 250 I used to have, my dad built up a B34/2 out of my left over parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: