classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spares situation for your car(s)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find the days of finding NOS spares for my prewar Ford very difficult, even going back 10 years places like Beaulieu would regularly turn up king pins / gaskets / brake parts etc but now I find virtually nothing.

NOS spares for prewar cars are very scarce.
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first had an Austin 10, around eight or ten years ago, there were always plenty of parts on Ebay, NOS and secondhand.
I had a look, just out of curiosity a few weeks ago, and there were only a couple of items.
Boring Tucson SUV
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
norustplease wrote:
When I first had an Austin 10, around eight or ten years ago, there were always plenty of parts on Ebay, NOS and secondhand.
I had a look, just out of curiosity a few weeks ago, and there were only a couple of items.

Have you tried here?
https://parts.austintendriversclub.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=2

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I'm the spares secretary for the Morris Register, so interested in this thread Smile 80% of the cars in the register are 8's or a derivative.
.. snip

That's an interesting insight into the spares re-manufacturing side of clubs, thanks Dave.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat spoilt for choice with the MG. The main reason is that there is a very high survival rate for T types and a good following from the casual users to the racing fraternity. It is because the supply of standard or improved parts is so good that I have had no worries about stripping the TC down for a complete restoration. The only problem is the price of parts these days but then I suppose that can be off set to some extent by the high values achieved by the cars on resale.

I am having my standard size cylinder head ported and shaped for supercharging and converted to run on unleaded. An extractor manifold is available off the shelf along with a stainless steel exhaust system. Other parts that I have bought are a fast road cam and nitrided followers, a 5 speed gearbox conversion kit and a VW steering box; all of which should greatly improve the usability of the car.

The body is a big expense but fortunately there are several firms who can undertake the work. I have ordered a fully panelled body from MG Ash frames who have a fine reputation.

There are even firms who will make reproduction seating or leather covers if you wish and I have just sent four British Jaeger instruments off to a restorer who has a good reputation for attention to detail.
I can even buy a new "Brooklands" steering wheel in two different sizes.

The upshot is that I am happy with the spares situation for my MG and long may it continue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: