classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

oversize or undersize
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: oversize or undersize Reply with quote

Something which I have always been confused about is how to describe the bearings needed for a reground crankshaft.

If a crankshaft journal has been ground down it will require new bearing shells. These are advertised as + sizes but I would have thought they should be - sizes and described as "undersize" not "oversize"?
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's + as far as shell thickness is concerned.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:

Peter

Yes, that would make sense. Thanks.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:

Peter

Yes, that would make sense. Thanks.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the crankshaft would have had metal removed, so would be undersize, ie u/s.
A bored-out cylinder, however, would be bigger, therefore oversize, ie o/s.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, even though the crank journal is undersize with regard to it's thickness the bearing shell surface despite being correspondingly smaller is provided in oversizes.

It's all done to confuse the less clever students amongst us.
Embarassed
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my days on the spanner (admittedly a long time ago) shell bearings for a reground crank were always marked (eg) 020 u/s, and pistons for rebores would be marked 020 o/s.
I blame it all on metrication!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have found the answer to my confusion. When a bearing has "spun", The machining required to clean up the housing results in the requirement for an "oversize" bearing without necessarily changing the pinion size.

Wink
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now that is a totally different thing, Ray. You're talking about increasing the thickness of the back of the shell, not the wear face.
This might be the case if the block had been line-bored to rectify damage caused by "spinning" of the main bearings. Undersize shells would be used in the con-rods.
This is getting just too complicated after a couple of pints and a huge lamb and mint pie down the pub!
I'm going to bed. Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what has happened is that over the years there has been a drift towards describing the thickness of the shells in oversize terms where as in the dim and distant past we always referred to undersize measurements in relation to a crankshaft re grind.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across similar issues when looking for parts for my recent rebuild, and I think it's really just a laziness thing, because there can't really be any confusion in the vast majority of cases. While I might think that a main bearing should be "oversize" because it's bigger to meet up with an undersized crankshaft, that's the only direction that would normally be encountered. Wear tends to only happen in one direction, whatever the part, so it doesn't really matter that the terminology may, strictly speaking, be incorrect.

This is probably as irritating to any proper engineers as the modern interchangeability of the terms "GPS" and "Sat-Nav" was to me at one point.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
I came across similar issues when looking for parts for my recent rebuild, and I think it's really just a laziness thing, because there can't really be any confusion in the vast majority of cases. While I might think that a main bearing should be "oversize" because it's bigger to meet up with an undersized crankshaft, that's the only direction that would normally be encountered. Wear tends to only happen in one direction, whatever the part, so it doesn't really matter that the terminology may, strictly speaking, be incorrect.

This is probably as irritating to any proper engineers as the modern interchangeability of the terms "GPS" and "Sat-Nav" was to me at one point.

You say that... but the surface area of a bearing is what counts and a reground crank and bearings will have a smaller - not larger - bearing surface.

I am in no doubt at all that bearings for a reground crank always used to be called "undersize". I remember my (engineer) Dad saying something like you bore out a cylinder and fit oversize pistons but you grind down a journal and fit undersize bearings. Obviously I can't recall how the bearings were described by the manufacturers but I imagine at a time when spun bearings were much more frequently encountered than they are today there would have been considerable confusion if + sizes were quoted for both applications.

As has been said; it is probably a European thing.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the confusion arises from our frequent activity of dropping out words from a description. I seem to remember the word 'for' being part of the description of bearing shells designed to fit ground crankshafts. In that case it makes perfect sense, even though the shells need to be oversize in order to 'fill the gap' as it were.
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame Boris!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
I blame Boris!

Everyone blames Boris! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: