classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Powder coating wheels...mishap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Colin916

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Powder coating wheels...mishap. Reply with quote

I had my alloys powder coated, and when I took the car to get new tyres fitted the guy commented on the excessive thickness of the coating. ( After removing the studs there was obviously cracking of the coating around the holes), my first thought was that this could only be a good thing. But.....after torquing them up and doing about 15 miles I had the left side rear overtake me!!!! The powder coating had crumbled under the studs leaving me with loose wheel nuts. No major damage but very embarrassing.
So, after getting your wheels done, scrape out the holes before using them.
Maybe I should have known this, but I have never heard of it before.
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I powder coated my Austin Seven wheels about twelve or thirteen years ago and have had no problems at all with them. I have not had to touch the coating at all. Also, remember that Austin Sevens have wheels that tend to loosen and have to be regularly checked for tightness. No problems experienced with the powder coating. It has also lasted extremely well against chipping and road damage.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Colin916

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a great protection for wheels. My problem was that it was too thick around the holes. I've sorted it now and have had no further problems. It's just something worth keeping an eye on if anyone else is doing it.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered having the wheels on my modern powder-coated a while back, but opted for paint and lacquer instead. First of all it was a lot cheaper as I did it myself, but the main thing for me is that paint is repairable. When I inevitably scrape one of the wheels on something, I can touch in the paint where the only option is to have the whole thing re-coated.

The trouble with having nice newly-painted wheels, though, is having to keep them clean when otherwise I might not feel like cleaning the car.

You can get the same issue with painted wheels though - I remember when I had my first car, one of the first things I did was dump the hub caps and paint the wheels white. A few weeks later I panicked because there was a noticeable clonk as I went around corners, and stuck it into a local garage as I didn't know anything about cars at the time. They stopped laughing long enough to tell me what I'd done wrong. Since then, I never paint the seats where the nuts or bolts fit.
Brent29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin916 wrote:
Yes, it's a great protection for wheels. My problem was that it was too thick around the holes. I've sorted it now and have had no further problems. It's just something worth keeping an eye on if anyone else is doing it.

It would be helpful if you share how much coating did you put on and how much is just right.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that on the bolt / nut seats, "none" is the correct amount of coating. I can't picture how having a relatively soft layer there would be a good thing.

One other thought on powder coating from a mate of mine, specifically with regard to powder-coating wire wheels - he has seen several cases where spokes have snapped, but been undetectable because the powder coating covers up the damage. So a regular examination for snapped spokes couldn't just be visual.
Brent29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:

One other thought on powder coating from a mate of mine, specifically with regard to powder-coating wire wheels - he has seen several cases where spokes have snapped, but been undetectable because the powder coating covers up the damage. So a regular examination for snapped spokes couldn't just be visual.

Same thing happened to my buddy when he brought a set of wheels powder coated hiding the snapped spokes. Good thing he decided to change the powder coat which reveal the issue.
Colin916

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent29 wrote:
Colin916 wrote:

It would be helpful if you share how much coating did you put on and how much is just right.

After getting the wheels home after coating, I would recommend removing the powder coat around the holes.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 'removal' of a powder coating make it prone to allowing moisture underneath?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it would. One of the reasons that I didn't powder-coat my suspension parts was because, if or when the coating is damaged, there's no way to properly repair it, and that means moisture getting behind it. Once behind it, it doesn't dry out as quickly, so could actually cause more problems than it would otherwise do.

On the other side of the coin, though, when I spoke to the powder coating firm, they did say that the coating shouldn't get damaged in normal use.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
...if or when the coating is damaged, there's no way to properly repair it, and that means moisture getting behind it. Once behind it, it doesn't dry out as quickly, so could actually cause more problems than it would otherwise do.

Yes, that's my experience of powder coating. It seems to me as well that such "hidden" rust behind powder coating stays hidden for a deal longer than it would behind paint and ultimately leads to worse damage. I'll stick to paint, thanks - I've found that if steel wheels are thoroughly cleaned a good red oxide primer followed by a few coats of household gloss gives a durable finish that looks perfectly acceptable, for my purposes at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: