classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ever fitted a car heater?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Ever fitted a car heater? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here had fitted a heater to their classic car? Perhaps there was not one originally?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 years ago!
1936 Austin 10.
I found a little round Smith's heater at a junk yard. Cut holes in the top & bottom hoses & clamped in T connectors. A couple of bits of probably Dad's garden hose, pushed somehow through the firewall.
Thermo-syphon system.
It didn't do much.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my SS was never fitted with a heater when new. Fortunately it has an alloy water manifold with relatively flat sides so it wasn't too difficult to drill it and fit a hose connector. For the other connection I found a convenient bottom hose from a Vauxhall Firenza that had a 1/2" T connection on it.

With your TC you might need to solder a couple of pipes into the header and footer tanks of the radiator although a closer location to the water pump might be an advantage so the T off the bottom hose might be more efficient.

After the war the rather similar MkIV Jaguar came fitted with a heater (or air conditioning as they called it) so I used the same type of Clayton heater and also the fittings for passing the hoses through the bulkhead, one of which includes a tap.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the diagram Peter. I like the Clayton heater but I don't think it will fit in the MG. I need to find a very compact unit. I would have thought the problem with plumbing into the radiator is that the heater wouldn't start working until the engine is up to temperature. Then again the bypass loop (which was my first thought) is apparently closed off when the thermostat opens. That kind of leaves the hoses - or as I have seen in photos - direct connection to the head.

Plumbing aside, I recently took a look at electric heaters. What amazed me was the amount of power they need. One I looked at which seemed to meet my requirements was rated at 500 Watts ! With a 45 amp alternator at 12 volts, there would be a rapid discharge - or at least that is how I calculated it.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could fit a Wolseley 4/44 head? It looks as if it has a take-off at the back.

Or could you drill and fit a take-off at the plate on the rear.

http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/heater.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-HEATER-RESTORED-fr-MG-TC-MG-TD-MG-TF-MG-TF1500-ROADSTER-TRUCK-or-RAT-ROD-/133136615281?nma=true&si=mf07UfShdKZPWkWP13h0ssgbeHU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEy Peter Shocked

I have just had my original head overhauled and converted for lead free. It has been shaped and ported for use with my Eaton M45 supercharger. (Rootes type) and has TF valves with bronze guides.

However, the head has plain blanking plates at either end to which I could easily fit a takeoff point and control valve.
Longstroke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or alternatively, what about a flying jacket and longjohns?
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longstroke wrote:
Or alternatively, what about a flying jacket and longjohns?

No kidding; I have those too. I also have a genuine 'Ugg' sheepskin hat and gloves....it's my little tootsies that get cold. Wink Trouble with many heaters is that they don't send warmth to where it's most needed!
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the teecee is anything like my Dellow...you won't need anything like a heater for tootsies.....the amount of heat emanating from the engine bay [being in close proximity, and all that] will likely become overpowering after a while.....real plimmy-melting stuff!
Uprate the dynamo, and wear heated socks?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted one to the MGA, as it was a factory option it was all straight forward, that said its pretty redundant as I never drive the car with the hood up Confused
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Fitted one to the MGA, as it was a factory option it was all straight forward, that said its pretty redundant as I never drive the car with the hood up Confused

MY problem is leg cramps brought on by cold feet. Shocked

I thought this would fit up in the footwell; pointing down.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quiet-Car-Heater-For-Kit-Car-Rally-Car-or-Track-Car/281858624232?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small round heaters were fitted to Landrovers as an extra . They were in the cab and had two little doors that you could open . You might be able to get one from a Landrover [early series 2 ? ] wrecker .
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mog wrote:
Small round heaters were fitted to Landrovers as an extra . They were in the cab and had two little doors that you could open . You might be able to get one from a Landrover [early series 2 ? ] wrecker .

Another good suggestion, thanks.

One other option would be to use the battery box and move the battery to a new location on the car, similar to other MGs.
Longstroke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a small Smiths heater in my Riley (sounds similar to LR one) which sits under the dash. Use it mainly for the demist facility. There are kit car ones that are very diddy, but not sure how effective they are. If you Google homemade car heater there's a U-tube showing how to make one out of a lunchbox(?!) and proprietary small rad - very simple to make from memory.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longstroke wrote:
I've a small Smiths heater in my Riley (sounds similar to LR one) which sits under the dash. Use it mainly for the demist facility. There are kit car ones that are very diddy, but not sure how effective they are. If you Google homemade car heater there's a U-tube showing how to make one out of a lunchbox(?!) and proprietary small rad - very simple to make from memory.

Thanks. Yes, I watched that video the other day. I could be tempted to build a car heater but like all these things, time is an issue. I have a complete rebuild and restoration ongoing and there is just too much else that needs my attention.

The Smiths heater is like a cheaper version of the Clayton and worth considering if it fits. I agree, some of the kit car heaters are really just demisters and too small. As I mentioned earlier, I had considered a small electric heater of 500w but the power consumption is impractical.

I have looked again at the option of opening out the bottom of the battery box and fitting my preferred heater.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: