classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ever fitted a car heater?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking to see if the rad slats on the TC could be made to move. I know some people (probably with time on their hands) have made them thermostatically controlled but that is too sophisticated for me. I wondered if if they could be opened and closed by a driver operated cable.

It just seems like a nice feature to have.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

There used to be radiator blinds that could be located between the slats and the radiator. I suspect this would be easier to arrange.

Peter

Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Peter. That looks a whole lot easier.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This model had a large flap that pivoted horizontally.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photos-weston/jensen_541r_19.htm

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not seem much to shout about but I am quite excited about my new compact heater that arrived today. ( Little things please little minds, I suppose! Razz)

My plan is to remove the bottom of the scuttle mounted tool box in the footwell and locate the fan section up inside; leaving just the heater matrix section pointing downwards.. This should enable fresh air to be drawn in and save taking up cabin space at the same time. Isolating the fan like this should also reduce the noise levels which are 63decibels. There are two through holes which I can use to bolt the heater to the side of the adjacent battery box.

The plumbing seems fairly straightforward. I should be able to utilise the bypass pipe for a supply and easily attach a fitting to the blanking plate at the rear of the cylinder head. This is what other TC owners have done.

What I am unsure about is this recurring polarity issue. I am contemplating swapping wires over on the connector to counter positive earth. I don't know if the fan would run backwards otherwise?

Perhaps someone could give me some advice in this regard?
Longstroke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to swap the wires over on the fan, as it shouldn't be polarity specific. However, it might be worth swapping whole car to negative earth which is easy enough to do if you've still got a dynamo. I did this on my Riley years ago, so I could use a modern stereo, and later on an electronic rev counter.
nokia2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I asked in other place if you can fit heating systems on cars that originaly didn't had and they answered me you can do that. Now I found people that did that stuff.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longstroke wrote:
You should be able to swap the wires over on the fan, as it shouldn't be polarity specific. However, it might be worth swapping whole car to negative earth which is easy enough to do if you've still got a dynamo. I did this on my Riley years ago, so I could use a modern stereo, and later on an electronic rev counter.

I take your point about changing to negative earth but I have a new wiring loom and alternator (Dynamater) and more importantly a specifically (and expensive) new positive earth electronic distributor. It will stay positive earth.

picture hosting sites free

I am grateful to you confirming that I can swap over the wires for the heater.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokia2010 wrote:
Ha. I asked in other place if you can fit heating systems on cars that originaly didn't had and they answered me you can do that. Now I found people that did that stuff.

I wouldn't like you to think that I am altering a good, original unspoilt example of a classic car. I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

What I am doing is bringing back to life a total basket case where every part is either damaged or worn out. For example, the body was beyond saving and I don't even have an original dashboard so I am remaking one from original drawings. As so much of the TC is needing
replacement there seems little point in trying to replicate exactly the original. It is not original and never can be so I am building a car with many upgrades and improvements that appeal to me. I fully intend to use the TC as my daily driver and in all weathers... so the heater may also be used as a cooling fan in hot weather.

The heater being fitted will be - like most of the other mods - fully removable and reversible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: