classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can you ID this tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Can you ID this tool Reply with quote

Its not a quiz I don't know the answer !

I was using my old Britool socket set over the weekend ,on the Morris 8; Whitworth nuts and bolts, not sure how old the set it does anyone know ? Notice the hexagonal not square shafts.

There is one socket that is odd see below.

It looks like some sort of key, but the fact its part of a socket set implies it had a common use ? can you id it? the top section pivots on the split pin(you can also see it in the main pic, top right 2nd socket from the end)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Hi

I know what this is for, I have used them before, I can see the two holes that the pegs slot into. I can't for the hell of me think what it was, it is on the tip of my tounge but wount come out, I will keep thinking, please if someone can help I would apriciate it!

I think it was like a plug, that fitted flush to the surface, hence needing the two pegs, simmilar to on a grinder, (thats the type of application I used it for, whether that is it's intention I am not sure, and I can not remember the machine!) ?????

Agggggrrrrr

So anoying!!!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by buzzy bee on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well pexto uses a 2-hole for their beader/jenny dies, i've seen it somewhere else but??? steering wheel nut? maybe? Thats a good one! tt
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Britool socket set with one of these in it. It is a shiny chrome and has never been used.
I seem to recall, in the dim and distant past, using a cold chisel to remove some sort of threaded disc for the want of one of these but I cannot remember what its application was.
I will sleep on it.
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was preying on my mind so I went to the American 'Mc Master-Carr' tool catalogue.
There is no illustration of this particular socket but there are 'adjustable-Face Flange-nut Wrenches' illustrated and fixed-face of various sizes available.
Is it possible that the tool had the option of changing the blade as required? Where have we seen these flange nuts? you will kick yourself..
When was the last time you changed the disc on your angle grinder?
I may be totally wrong on all this of course.

p.s. just realized that someone has already mentioned a grinder; but is it likely the tool is for applications where the flange disc is not accessible to the 'C' type spanner?
kaybee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, many early engine valves have slots or 2 holes in the top of the valve, so could this tool be for lapping in the valves?
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee, that rings a bell, then there are the suction cups that can fit it also. tt
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted this socket set on eBay, which has provided the answer Very Happy

Kaybee was spot on!.

Mystery solved
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: