classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Workshops?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do I spy a Donkey saw in the corner? Looks a good old one.

Cheers

Dave
magic9r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
I bought the car lift after I fitted a full set of poly-bushes and a set of adjustable height and damping coil over shock units to my wife's MX-5, I never want to spend another weekend under a car on ramps & stands, must be getting old or soft, it nearly did me in.
Dave,
It's a Rapidor Manchester, an oldy but goody, I'm in the process of restoring it but it is functional, just needs a load of finishing touches,
Nick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I love them, set going and go for a brew, come back and hey presto! We used to sit on the one at school, a bit of extra down force! Well quite a bit with 2 or 3 of us, not really what we should ahve done perhaps! hehe Laughing

Saying that the bandsaw at work today was not much better, I fixed the forklift whilst it was cutting, I did set it on slow though, due to what I was cutting! Confused

Next time you have it out, take snap of it for me.

I think I posted pics of my old 1903 Lathe on here somewhere, if you can't find them, and are interested I will try to find a pic. It is dismantled just now.

Cheers

Dave
the fly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello B B nice to know other people use old machine tools . Ihave a rapidor hacksaw a 1918 mod b drummond lathe that has a swiveling head stock very handy for short tapers. A1910 i think round bed drummond still with its tredle drive .A6 inch german or swiss lathe made i gues about 1920 .Ajones filing machine age unknown and a shaping machine .just wish i had the skill of the man that i worked for in the 1950s . Regards The Fly
magic9r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you all had a good Christmas & New Year.
I'm still having enforced rest after a hernia repair op just before Christmas, I did sneak into the garage for a better shot of the Rapidor while SWMBO wasn't looking

I have a section of aluminium moulding which allows me to hold a small machine vice in the center of the blade travel, this allows me to cut slices off short bars & parts,

the bits in the shot were slices of titanium bar, I was making titanium bottle openers for Christmas presents for friends.

This shot shows the shambles which passes for a machine bench with my Long Bed Myford Super7 lathe and Emco FB2 mill head/column on a custom base,

I noticed this up a corner too & thought it might interest someone,

it's a Dunlop jack, ratcheting, lever action. I'm guessing service stations may have used them to quickly pop a wheel in the air, it requires new pivot pins & the holes sleeving but is still quite handy as it is,
Regards,
Nick
the fly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic its not whats on the bench its what comes off that counts. Anyway your bench is positively pristine compared to my mess . my rapidor is i think not as old as yours . A friend named my saw the ignorant mate his reasoning it works with me all day and never speaks a word . all the best with op .Regards The Fly.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Great pics, thanks for taking them, and hope you did yourself no harm in taking them!

I like the vice for better clamping!

The Dunlop Jack is interesting too, would fit nicely into a topic we had a while back on foot pumps, not sure if you have seen that one?

Cheers

Dave
magic9r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I'm working my way through the older posts & will surely find the one on Dunlop foot pumps, I think I have a few of those up another corner Wink
Funny what you stuff up corners just in case,
Regards,
Nick
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was drooling a bit over that jack too, sad isn't it Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: