classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration on my Hillman Hunter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

any news on the engine problems bob--did you get around to stripping the crank? i`de love to find out the problem has been rectified...cheers---ray the rocker....
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray, I haven't stripped the engine yet, but it should commence shortly, it was rescheduled to start with the new year consequently I have been driving the car for short trips every now and then (basically maybe 6 times) during last year just so nothing got stuck.
I will be helping my cousin finish his fiat 124 which should be done within this month or maybe mid february the most and then we'll make a start on the engine stripping, already contacted an engineering firm and he should have most of the parts needed, I have to order the gaskets etc but want to wait to see whether it needs a rebore or just new rings so that I'll order the rings as well at one go.

However engine problems apart, it is a very comfortable car to drive and am getting attached to it now so probably I will be hanging on to it.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really tidy now isn't it, have you found many others like it in Malta?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes rick, quite common in malta, especially this model, many have had bmc diesel engines fitted and more lately even toyota diesels!!
However a lot have been scrapped now and you do not see many around, some are even making it into preservation, have seen some during classic car shows, know of at least 8 which have been restored and one is an ex police car which has been restored as a patrol car. Haven't seen that one yet but heard its quite nice, it had a new exhaust fitted at the same place I did mine.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks great noel, i've not been on the forum for a while but its good to see you've got the hillman back on the road.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been road legal for a year or more now but its still not ready, there's always something else still to be done, in this case the engine strip and rebuild!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately we've had very bad weather over here with thunderstorms and hail and last saturday night was no exception so it came as a pleasant surprise when I woke up on sunday morning and took a look outside to see some glorious weather and the streets almost dry!!
No time was wasted and my plans (was going to continue the build of a toychest for my daughter) soon changed. Me and my daughter got dressed up and went to fetch the hunter from its slumbering and went for a nice drive. On the way back stopped at a playing field so she could play a bit and then continued on our way home.
It was a pleasant drive but the thermostat housing is leaking slightly and its leaking right onto the fan which in turn was splashing all the water around in the engine bay so now I need to fix that and give the engine bay a good clean!!
Something to add to the never ending 'To Do' list I've got. Rolling Eyes
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
Lately we've had very bad weather over here with thunderstorms and hail

Something to add to the never ending 'To Do' list I've got. Rolling Eyes

Hi N,

Sorry to hear about hails & thunderstorms Sad but nice to hear your weather changed Cool
you can be lucky that you dont live uphere Wink we just had 2 weeks with frost -- Brrrrr it was cold Rolling Eyes
one night it froze minus 24.6 degrees Celcius.

Good to hear the Hunter is out & around Cool and yes there is always something Wink he he .

Jens Christian
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here we're recording temperatures of 2 degrees celsius in the early morning (unofficial, from car's thermometers).
Its not normal to have those temperatures in Malta.
Bad weather has returned last night, some more hail and rain, and wind should be increasing later today.
Great!!! Rolling Eyes
But we're not having it bad when you see what's happening in Italy which isn't that far away from us!
ian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Hillman Hunter Reply with quote

Gooday Bob2,

If you go to Youtube and enter in " some go quicker than others" you'll find two clips of Bernard Unett driving a Hillman Hunter GLS of the Crhysler Team around Oulton Park in about 1974.

He puts in a sparkling performance, passing everything on the track and coming in first. A very good car, and a very good driver.

Ian.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these 2 =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuYXO0wn4Q&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be3T2AcjFN8&feature=relmfu

nice Cool
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nice to see the great british reserve, no standing on the bonnet,no overflowing girl's, no bottle's of bubbly being sprayed about, no microphone shoved in his face and no stupid question's.
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great videos, mine will never be that fast though, if I could find a holbay however ................................. Laughing
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday the hunter was awoken again for a run with a friend in his wolseley hornet but I had to stop mid way since something was not right with the rear brakes!!
Had to drive back and take the blue mini instead.
When I have some time I'll investigate the problem but I am guessing that the shoes are sticking to the drum, from the sound it was making while reversing I guess one of the shoes has come loose and is catching between the drum and wheel cylinder!!
No time this week or next weekend though so will have to wait to see what's wrong!!

Sad
bob2

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last saturday I had the time and went to have a closer look at the hunter's rear brakes but it wouldn't start, had to get a couple of people to push a bit out as there's no lighting in the garage were its kept and I couldn't see a thing!!
Checked the spark and it was very weak, pulled the distributor cap off and spark was intermittent, had a spare (new) set of points and condensor and tried them out and the spark was good but still no joy, so took the plugs out and gave them a clean, still nothing!!
Took the air filter housing off to see whether the piston had jammed but it was free!!
At this point I started scratching my head but a mechanic fried suggested I tried turning the key and he put his hand on the carb to seal it and it started with the first turn!!!!
Jacked it up to check the brakes and only one wheel was a little jammed, all it had was a lot of brake dust all over so sanded the drums and linings and dusted them with an air line and took it for a short run and everything seemed fine, temperature is still rising above normal but the engine isn't boiling so I am suspecting either the gauge is a bit past it or the switch in the engine!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 14 of 19

Jump to: