classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Causes of low oil pressure?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Causes of low oil pressure? Reply with quote

My Standard 10 has always had a lowish readout on the oil pressure gauge once the engine has warmed up. Assuming the gauge is accurate (I've tried more than one gauge) what are the most likely causes, and remedies?

Duff oil pump? worn bearings?

thanks
Rick
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Standard have a mechanical or electrical gauge?
If electrical, check it with a good mechanical gauge.
If it has a mech. gauage, make sure the line is not pinched or restricted.
Does the engine have high mileage?
I'm not familiar with your engine but these are the usual causes.
Worn main or rod bearings, oil pump, plugged oil pump screen, plugged oil filter.

Denny
Cranki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a 'modern' oil?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: re:oil Reply with quote

I had been using a reasonable quality 20/50, recently replaced with Castrol XL30 as per the original handbook. I found that it was burning this a bit so added some gloopy STP to thicken it up a little which has cured the slight oil burning issue. However oil pressure is still a bit iffy.

I've got a mechanical gauge fitted, replacing the original low oil pressure light.

I think it may be the mains which are worn, looking thru the paperwork that came with it, the engine was overhauled a few years back and not done much mileage since, however the crank was left alone, so my guess is the mains are original too, whereas big end bearings etc were replaced. I've got a spare engine in the garage which is reputed to be in good nick, so I can see an engine swap coming up soon :-(

cheers
Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: