classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pre selector Gear box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
matilar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Pre selector Gear box Reply with quote

I am restoring a 1951 Daimler Consort, can any one guide me in setting the gear box ?? Rolling Eyes
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about a DB18?

What exactly do you need to know?
matilar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Are you talking about a DB18?

What exactly do you need to know?

Dear Uncle Joe
This is a DB18 in 1951 it was called Consort according to DLOC. I found this car in a bad shape in dismantled condition.
I have done up the body and the engine has been brought to running codition. Now, I am trying to set (the gear box), the peselector lever and the engaging peddle. I am able to engage, first and second gears by following the procedure indicated in the manual purchased from DLOC "Fluid Flywheel and Epicyclic Gearbox"
The other gears 3rd,top, Nutral & reverse do not engage, when i try any of these gears the peddle is very hard. There are no trained mechanics out here in Bangalore India. So, I have to depend on books or on helpful souls like you. Can you please guide me, as to the steps i should follow ?
I have jacked up the rear wheels to set the gears.
Once this is done She will be on the road after a gap of more than 25 years.
Does the age of Plunger Springs make any difference?
Thanks for your response.
Ramanna
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, its a long time - 35 years - since I worked on one of these gearboxes, so I´m relying on an old memory.

I´m going to go out on a limb here, and assume that the gearbox worked OK 25 years ago. These gearboxes have what is known as planetery gears. In this system, all of the gears are always engaged. When you select a gear, that gear is obtained by simply locking and unlocking various parts. Therefore, your problem is probably going to be caused by these parts being seized or stuck, due to the car standing for so long. Free off these parts, replace those that are required, and your problem should be solved! This problem is also indicated by the fact that you say the pedal is hard - it cant move these parts easily.

The Plunger springs tend to "set" after a time, so, yes, I would replace them.
matilar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Pre selector gear box Reply with quote

Dear Sir
Thank you for the tips. Will revert back in case, I get stuck up.
Have you any idea, as to, which other make of cars had this helical, fluid pre selector gear system other than Daimler?
Thanks
Ramanna.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, this system was unique to Daimlers vehicles. But maybe there are some others out there that can say for certain.

Keep in touch about the progress you are making with your project!
Floride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Gearbox Reply with quote

I believe this uses the Wilson pre-select gearbox. It was used by various car companies. May be worth a search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: