classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1909 Alldays and Onions 2 seat Runabout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
P3steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you do a disc brake conversion using the uprights from a Morris Marina, that seems to be in vouge at the momment you could use it as a daily driver then Wink

Joking aside have loved following the work you have done, keep it up
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Rdover wrote:
Suffice it to say, under modern legislation, the description of "braking system" would come under some scrutiny by the Court when applying the Trades Descriptions Act.

In an emergency it often mooted that a responsible driver will point his motor as a convenient hedge, away from pedestrians jumping to safety at the last possible moment.

This is NOT a joke Shocked

A slightly earlier variant on LR series 1 then. Very Happy

Judging by what I have been told by LR afficiandos.

Acceleration and braking is measured with an hourglass.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Austin Seven brakes too Wink

Nice work Richard, I'd love something like this one day Smile
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had an Austin Seven I used to refer to the brakes as 'crystal ball brakes' as that was what was needed to know when to push the pedal.

I let this car go in 1967 but it is still going today as seen below but now with hydraulic brakes.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, have you tried these people to see if there is a better compound to try on the brake shoes? I had the Morris and Talbot shoes relined by them and I am impressed with the results.
http://www.autoandindustrial.globalhire.co.uk/index.html
Good luck.
Dax Rush
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
Hi Richard, have you tried these people to see if there is a better compound to try on the brake shoes? I had the Morris and Talbot shoes relined by them and I am impressed with the results.
http://www.autoandindustrial.globalhire.co.uk/index.html
Good luck.

The problem with the transmission brake is that it is an appalling design and simply does not work as you can't bring enough pressure to bear without breaking something. The rear brakes have a tendency to get fouled by diff oil and there is not a friction material made that works when greased!
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, ably assisted by Yogi, the rear axle was refitted with new bolts and the hubs removed ready for stripping and painting but what a hassle it was getting everything lined up and Yogi was mega nervous about working on something that you really can't afford to break!

The problem was getting everything aligned. The usual method is to loosely bolt everything up than align it before nipping it all up but which comes first, the spring perches on the axle, the perches to the springs or the propshaft. Given that it too serious effort to get the prop off, I reckoned getting the prop in place along with the panhard rod was the answer.

Unfortunately I was wrong so we removed the prop, attached the perches to the springs and roughly seated the axle by dropping the car down. I wanted to avoid rotating the axle in the perch clamp in case I ruined the nice paintwork. Once it was roughly in place the prop was still about an inch too high, but solved by dropping the car right onto the axle - thank [insert deity of choice] for hydraulic lifts!

Everything got tightened and adjusted and all sits beautifully and now I can remove the drums to strip and repaint, replace a felt oil seal, clean the brakes and finish up painting the bits of axle more easily done in situ.

To this end, I've just bought a blast cabinet - more toys!

Edited to add

The other night I got the steering wheel, hand throttle and timing control all sorted so once the axle is finished being painted I'll be ready to try and start it.
Rdover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today was productive. With the axle fitted I got the hubs off and bead blasted to remove the paint with my new blast cabinet and cleaned and dried with a coat of etch primer. I spent the time drying time tidying and organising the garage, fitting the vice to the bench and wire brushing the rust off it.

With the hubs painted, I had more drying time to kill so a bit of fuel went into the tank and the process of starting it commenced. First I had to determine which way round the kill switch operated so with the HT flashing caps fitted I hoiked the starting handle and got nothing, flicked the switch and got 4 bright flashes in the right order! Lovely. Next I figured out which way was advance, then fully retarded.

Removed the caps, filled the priming pots and worked the handle again and again and finally I was rewarded with the merest hint of a firing. By this time my battery (arm) was getting tired so I called a halt.

Tomorrow it will start, I am sure of it.
pryantcc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress Richard, I hope today and the engine starting goes well!
Rdover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this morning went well. I started in the sunshine to pit the larch cladding on the garage and after killing 2 drill batteries I left my girlfriend painting the hubs (she loves painting) and I had a go.getting the car started.

It find first time after I remembered switch the kill switch to 'on' and ran for about 30 seconds to a minute. The timing is the opposite of how I thought and it sounds wonderful.

Next is to sort the fuel delivery issue and get her running properly. I am very chuffed.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics? Not seen the old girl recently!
Rdover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's not really changed since November but once I get the brake shoes cleaned and the hubs reassembled I'll drag her out into the sunshine, give her a clean and take some piccies.
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to have another wee go at getting her running for more than 3 seconds at a time last night.

First I tested fuel supply by undoing the pipe from the carb then watching it drip and flow freely when I opened the fuel tap on the tank. It does not close fully so a new brass fuel tap is about to be fitted in the engine bay to make sure there are no leaks.

Next the engine was switched on, timing fully retarded (level up on the magneto) choke to fully on and throttle to half. Pots primed, handled hoiked (technical term) and we had some action. Primed again and turned and finally a 3rd time and nothing more than a few puffs.

I closed the choked fully and tried again (in case of being 100% wrong) primed and hoiked and was rewarded by the engine revving into action. Ignition fully advanced, throttle backed off until it warmed up then it ticked over beautifully.

The water level in the radiator soon found it's own level (the excess washing the garage floor), the 2 water weeps closed up and it soon revved perfectly. I'm not convinced the static timing is perfect but it runs well enough for the moment.

Next I'll reassemble the rear axle now fully painted and book in for an MOT.

Happy days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKD4tsSzo-M
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice on starting from hot will be gratefully accepted!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, you can't beat seeing an engine fire up for the first time Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 14 of 32

Jump to: