classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1909 Alldays and Onions 2 seat Runabout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been converted to run a coil and distributor rather than a magneto and the dizzy has automatic, mechanical advance which now seems to be working fine.

There may be an argument for being able to advance the ignition a tiny amount when in 4th gear but its so little it may be more hassle that its worth.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was not paying attention. How do you know the distributor advance is correct for your engine? I suspect that such an old engine will rev slowly.

If it is like my BSA it probablly isn't critical. I waggle the advance lever about while running to get smoothest running.

Kels.
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the timing empirically. I found where TDC was on cyl 1 and played with it from there until it ran smoothly and revved cleanly. With the mech advance I want to have to advanced enough so it fights me when I start it, ie I have to be brave when turning, which leaves the mech advance to do the rest.

I've got some fettling to do until I'm 100% happy but I think I'm 95% there.
Rdover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos from the weekend after fitting the spare wheel, sorting the gear lever and driving around a bit.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really beautiful Richard. Now you can really start using it, how about a brief Lands End to John O'Groats tour?
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the spare wheel really finishes it off.

I'll be at Biggar on the 11th Aug and 3 Lochs Classic near Helensburgh on the 18th and that will total about 200 miles.

I've done some silly trips on motorbikes (1000 miles in under 24 hrs round the coast of Scotland) but LE JOG would be a serious challenge in a car that can't go on motorways and tops out at 30 mph. It could be an interesting challenge.
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have mentioned that I seem now to be working on bits to make the car ever more authentic and useable, well I've managed to find a lovely period windscreen frame for a very reasonable £45!

Popped down to the Carrosserie Company who made me a couple of fuel tank support brackets to try and resolve the scuttle's cupping problem and we looked at what was needed to fit the windscreen. It seems like it was made 100 years ago for this very car! The wooden frame is shaped to perfectly fit the scuttle and they'll be making a brass tube mounting and a laminated glass screen.

I think the car looks even better with the screen and will make it much more comfortable to drive. It may require screen support straps to the front wings, time will tell on that one. The glass will sit about 3 " higher than the top of the frame and have a ground and rounded edge top.

Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm8XRuvg7KY

Video taken last Sunday at the RSAC 3 Lochs Classic classic car run.

I drove from home to Rhu, near Helensburgh, did the wee route (58 miles) then drove home again without any major problems or hassles. A clunk has developed on moving off which I think is the worn hub woodruff keys telling me to get them sorted asap but other than that it ran beautifully!

The modern car drivers were very understanding and apart from the rain showers which were rather painful at times it was a fantastic day. The car won 1st prize in the veteran class concourse!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, the screen is a big improvement to the overall look imho, and like you say must make it a lot more civilised to drive around in.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Good stuff, the screen is a big improvement to the overall look imho, and like you say must make it a lot more civilised to drive around in.

RJ

It will be .... once it gets fitted! Wink
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your car and the video Richard. You really know when you're on a
Hill. The 1935 Austin 10 cabriolet that was in front of you was at a show. I visited in Warwickshire about 20 yesrs ago. Just the same colour as mine and made me jump because I thought someone had nicked mine.
excels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard
Have you got lights for your car? I have 2 brass sidelights that were fitted on my 1914 Ford T when I purchased her. They are totally incorrect for the Ford. They are labeled Dreadnaught.
Your car is looking fantastic! It has come a long way since I first saw it in Port Elizabeth, South Africa in the early nineties. Enjoy!
Regards
Tom
1914, 1918, 1923 Ford "T"; 1928 Ford "A" Roadster + Phaeton, 1922 Maxwell, 1926 Chrysler, 1927 Velie, 1928 Chevrolet, 1928 Whippet 96, 1935 Armstrong Siddeley 17HP, 1950 Morris Tourer, 1951 Morris, 1953 Morris,1958 Morris (All Minors), 1957 Austin A95
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fab. video.
Thanks for sharing
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short update

Since last summer I've procured, and had fitted, a period windscreen which makes a massive difference to the comfort of both front passenger and driver but the jury is out on rear passenger comfort.

I'd only done about 20 miles with the screen when the car started running really badly again so I got home, just, and checked and rest points, timing and found the plugs were very oily. I cleaned it up got it running again but was not right at all. The carb seemed to leaking fuel from every orofice so out it cam and was sent to Stotfold Engineering where Terry has made 1 good carb from the 2 I sent.

It seems the butterfly spindle was very worn, probably from the badly made throttle linkage which has now been rectified. I've got a few photos but I'm awaiting return of the, as new, carb to be refitted and see how the engine runs. I'm hoping it will be smoother with more power and better consumption - I'm sure it cannot be any worse. I am expecting some work to get the linkage bracket aligned and set up properly again but that is some nice winter pottering.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 19 of 32

Jump to: