classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin A70 pickup belonging to Mo..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep for a while LOL, I will try to get some pics of them side by side before (I might) move the LHD one on. Crying or Very sad
I think I mentioned that 6 stud A70 wheels are pretty rare ? Is the A40 pick up 6 stud 17 ? I noticed that some Hampshires I have seen have a Rounded edge 17 inch wheel thus

Where all the Herefords I have seen have the flat edge like this

I have also seen Hampshires with the flat edge wheel but not sure if that was what they left the factory with ? What do the A40,s have , flat or rounded ? cheers "MO"
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo,

There are two different A40 wheels.

The early A40's had narrower brake shoes. (Pre 1951 Devon and Dorset with mech/hydro brakes) The later ones (1951 Devons with 4 wheel hydro and all the Somersets) had wider brake shoes, but used the same hubs. The brake drum on the later cars was dished in the middle to allow for the wider shoes. This meant the wheel had to be dished to fit the face of the new drum. These later wheels could be used on the earlier cars with narrow brakes, but NEVER earlier wheels on late drums as this will distort the wheel centres.

Regarding swapping parts from A40's and A70's.

My A40 tourer has been running the much larger diameter A70 ute brakes on the front for the last thirty odd years. They are definitely 4 stud. I replaced the brake drums, backing plates, brake shoes and springs on the A40 with the corresponding parts from a wrecked A70 ute that I removed myself. The hubs and brake wheel cylinders are the same for both. Because my A40 had the narrower brakes and the A70 shoes were wider, I had to fit the later, deeper dished A40 wheels to the whole car. A very simple, easy and 100% successful safety modification.

Keith
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Keith , I think I get it Shocked The thing I dont get is , you said your A40 tourer is running on A70 ute hubs brake drums etc which I dont doubt for a second. You said you removed them from the ute your self (Hampshire or Hereford ). But then that they are 4 stud ? I am no expert by a long shot but in theory this cant be . So here is my summize Confused Either early A70 Hampshires had 4 stud wheels or the ute you got yours off of had a 16 inch conversion (same as the red one in my earlier pics) because A70s utes (at least all I have seen) have 6 stud wheels. What do you reckon ? cheers "MO"

Keith D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo,

My broadband is playing up tonight. This'll be my fourth attempt to post!!!

I cannot remember whether the ute I pirated for parts was a Hampshire or Hereford. I removed the bits in the mid/late 70's from the farm next to my parents.

Most Australian farms have a paddock, usually close to the house, where all discarded vehicles get parked. If the family have lived there for several generations, there are quite a few vehicles there!

I can remember getting the bits very clearly because of the scare my brother and I had! We jacked the car up and removed the wheels, then we were accosted by a large, very unfriendly snake who was in residence, and had been rudely awakened by us! He was not a happy little vegemite! We scared him off by throwing rocks at him, changed our underclothing, then grabbed the bits I wanted!

I have just been out into the cave and removed the passenger front wheel of my tourer and taken a few photos. The brake drum and hub are definitely 4 stud! The drum diameter is 12" (300mm) Ignore the white telescopic shock absorber - these were an accessory offered in Oz back in the fifties to overcome the soggy suspension on the largely unmade roads of the day!

Sorry I can't be of more help - Keith
P.S. I'm glad I took those photos - I can see that I need to replace some tie rod end rubbers!!!

[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs ventilated disks Shocked Very nice

The rubbers often go tatty at the ends - its whether on there is any play that is important
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

My tie rod ends are all good, but Western Australia has a wide coastal plain (including Perth) and this is pure sand. When tie rod end rubbers or CV boots tear or split, we have to replace them instantly, or we wreck the joints in no time flat!!

Keith
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my next project sailed up Southampton water yesterday (no not the ship !) and my wife was down weston shore walking the dog and took this pick. From Australia via Singapore and Suez to be delivered a mile from my home Smile More pics soon. "MO"
P.s Rick I did reply to you on the other forum.

MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok as promised , here are some pics of my latest project. Born in 52 , moved to Australia and spent 57 years working in the Sun (Mostly Smile. Now back to the country it came from and a well earned tidy up and lazy retirement. Although I bought this unseen I am very pleased with its condition. Virtually rust free but very sunburnt. All rubber is perished but mechanically it seems ok.
What with the exchange rate fluctuation and other costs this project turned out a bit more expensive than I thought. Most was done via the internet except for the money transfer and seeing the original ad in a magazine my dad brought back from Oz.
I can always post more pics if anybody would like to see more ? And I welcome contact from other A70 ute owners . "MO"

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by gum that does looks nice n sound, by all means post some more pics if you have 'em! Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive had a bit of a chance to have a look around the ute now. And although theres a bit of work to do (Brake pipes and hoses) Im pleased with her. The tyres are ok,ish but I dont know if they would pass an mot. So I done a search on the net for 600 X 17 Phew ! I reckon ill have to take out a second mortgage to get 5 of those Smile Anybody have any Ideas on where to find tyres ? . I am also at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to how much to do to the old ute. It is totally original (as far as my knowledge goes) and I am wondering wether toleave her that way ? Just do enough for an MOT , Tidy her up and drive. What do you reckon ? Heres some more pics. "MO"

Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
depends on the integrity of the paintwork.
If it has been subject to an Australian baking and sandblasting, any blemishes might well make it easier for the tinworm to get in, now that it is in the soggy South of England

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as it is stored well enough between shows etc, I'd err on preservation rather than a full stripdown. An old car (or pickup) can only be original once. A wipe over with a drop of linseed (or is it castor?) oil does a good job of preserving the finish.

I put a new set of 17s on my A40 p/up but they're a little big unfortunately, so I'm on the lookout for some slightly smaller ones. (probably 4.50 or 4.75x17 although I've not checked the book).

R
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick , where did you get your tyres from ? I could only find 2 places that seemed to stock them . Firestone seemed to be the best looking tread pattern to me. But for 5 including tubes etc the cost will be getting on for half the shipping price of the whole vehicle from Oz to here ! Still thats the price...... LOL

peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original unrestored vehicles are always more interesting than the like new ones. Stick with minimal upgrade where you can.

Peter Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, I found my tyres on ebay (Dunlops mostly), they'll also fit the Bedford ute too so thats why I snapped 'em up, must be a couple of years back now.

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: