classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Treasure hunters finds
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Treasure hunters finds Reply with quote

I came across this site for treasure hunters which is worth a look around, amazing some of the things they dig up!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic.125411.0.html
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see Time Team the other day? hunting around London for evidence of the constructions put up to ward off Hitler's mob, if they'd made a land invasion. Fascinating stuff. Perhaps metal detecting would be the hobby I'd choose if it hadn't been cars, to answer the other thread.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I nearly bought a metal detector once, but decided against it for some reason, the future maybe!!

Cheers

Dave
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never again will I touch a metal detector....

Many years ago a mate Billy said he knew where the remains of an old house were and asked if I had a metal detector. I didn't, but I knew someone who did. I borrowed it one day and off we went to the ruins. After searching for 3 hours and only finding bits of rone pipe, guttering and a couple of barrel rings we decided to pack up. "Just 5 minutes more" Billy said and with another sweep of the detector it started beeping again. I stuck the spade into the ground and removed a chunk of turf and Billy who was looking at where I was digging let out a yell of "Oh for **** sake" I looked into the hole and there, peering back at us, seeing daylight for the first time in about 45 years was a hand grenade...... Oh s*** I thought, what will we do. After a bit if debating I decided that Billy should hold the 2 dogs whilst I threw the grenade, theory being if it was live it would go off.......I threw it and nothing happened so after playing at Brits V Germans we headed back to the car. Billy took the seat cover from his drivers seat and wrapped the grenade before placing it carefully in the boot and driving back home. When we arrived at my house Billy said he was going to show his mate Jimmy and left.

Billy arrived at Jimmy’s house and with excitement shouted for him to come see what he had. Jimmy was a huge chap who stayed in a rough area and spent his days growing vegetables. Nobody dare go near Jimmy’s vegetable patch for fear of Jimmy catching them. Jimmy was feared by all and anyone who crossed his path better be able to either fight or run fast. Jimmy came to his front door and Billy unwrapping the grenade said “Look Jimmy, look what we found today“. Well, when Jimmy saw what it was he told Billy to GTF out of his house before it blew them both to smithereens. Take it to the TA Jimmy said as Billy left with his tail between his legs…

Billy arrived at the TA and as he was walking in, grenade still wrapped in the seat cover a Sergeant was leaving the building, he asked Billy if he could help and Billy started to open the seat cover. At that point the Sergeant started shouting for him to put it up at the back wall and before Billy knew what was going on there were bodies appearing from everywhere, carrying sandbags and covering the grenade. Billy turned round and left. Later in the afternoon I heard on the radio that there was a bomb scare in the town centre but thought no more of it. It turned out to be a live grenade., and the TA had to call the bobm squad to do a controlled explosion.
I decided at that point never to use a metal detector again
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha!!! Laughing Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always watch 'Time Team' in the hope they'll bury Baldric by mistake. Twisted Evil
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
ha!!! Laughing Laughing

There is more to this story but I dare not post it for fear of incriminating myself Embarassed

Last edited by 47p2 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaybee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Team, we get that here and I find it fascinating...BUT....who backfilled the whole of England?? Laughing , why is everthing buried so deep, where'd all the dirt come from and who spread it? Laughing
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing great story p2

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary time Rick, when I think about it now, and what could have happpened. All this happened about 20-25 years ago
erindoors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 - This wasn't you (again) was it? Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7241701.stm

Erindoors
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee wrote:
Time Team, we get that here and I find it fascinating...BUT....who backfilled the whole of England?? Laughing , why is everthing buried so deep, where'd all the dirt come from and who spread it? Laughing

Long, long ago, before man was on the scene, the winds would blow the topsoil around the planet.
Then man came along & built cities & every once in a while, he'd sweep the streets.

That's what I reckon. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erindoors wrote:
47p2 - This wasn't you (again) was it? Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7241701.stm

Erindoors

No, not guilty this time....

I stay well clear of grenades now Embarassed
Kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job-Rated wrote:

Long, long ago, before man was on the scene, the winds would blow the topsoil around the planet.
Then man came along & built cities & every once in a while, he'd sweep the streets.

That's what I reckon. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yep, I got the dirt n' wind bit.....but if that was long before man , etc, then how did all the manmade stuff get so far underneath? Laughing Laughing

...and I'm still waiting for Baldric to dig up Mrs. Smiggins Pie shop....it's real, isn't it?? Laughing Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course Mrs Smiggins pie shop is real... They used to have very big dogs that buried things and housewives used to beat their carpets outside, large dollops of rust and dirt have been falling of the bottom of my cars for over fifty years now...It all adds up. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: