classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My 1960 Nobel 200 microcar project.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: My 1960 Nobel 200 microcar project. Reply with quote

Hi everyone I’m new here, so here is a brief introduction to my current project.

The Nobel 200 is based on the German Fuldamobil S7 and built under license in Great Britain between 1958-61. It has a chain driven single rear wheel powered by a Sachs 200, 191cc engine, brakes are cable operated drums, steering is of rack type and very direct. The chassis is made from steel welded box section, with a single leaf spring and double acting hydraulic shock absorbers for suspension.

There is no reverse gear and car relies on a ‘change-over switch’ which stops the engine and changes it's direction, the advantage being it could be driven on a motorcycle license and you were eligible for cheaper road tax, though all forward gears are in reverse. Overall dimensions are: length 320cm, width 140cm and height 130cm with a ground clearance of 9”, quite large in microcar terms and the vehicle is often referred to as ‘the limousine’.

My car is known as the Model ‘A’. The dash layout differs to that of early models, which were reminiscent of the S7, whilst forward mounted indicators replace those originally mounted to the roofline. It’s actually missing an engine, black box containing the coil, changeover switch (to enable reverse) and regulator. The speedometer wasn’t connected, the interior is only fit for reference and the electrics are incomplete.

As it’s an Anglo German car, I found vehicles such as Lloyd using some components. Other parts have been sourced from Uruguay because the Nobel is native to that country too. I’ve yet to fabricate a new fuel tank, rear screen or replace various cables etc, though somehow the more work I do, the more hooked I become.

Here is a fully operational Chilean example, it’s a 4 wheeler though virtually the same as my car, http://youtube.com/watch?v=iifIc1e6LZs

Mike

Last edited by roundcars on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:13 am; edited 4 times in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, what a great project! how will you go about making the rear screen?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! - and I continue to learn. That's a really interesting restoration you've got there, I've always liked the "guppy" look these little micro-cars have, not to mention getting so relevant in these days of huge vehicle costs. Bet you won't find a single computer in it!

I've never heard of an "interpolation switch" before, but it (almost) makes sense to me. When you say it "send it backwards", and forgive me for being thick, do you mean it sent the engine running backwards or it sent the car rolling backwards?

Its still early, too much single malt & curry, and that's my defence! Laughing
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Rick, I'm in possession of the original rear screen only it's badly damaged, so I'll fabricate a new one by taking a glass fibre or plaster mould from the original, then make a former from that. This will be taken to a company that makes plastic road signs; I've been given this tip by a friend who works with glass fibre and says these companies can apparently produce an item like this at a relatively low price, the screen itself is only concaved in one direction so simplifies the whole procedure.

Scotty, interpolation! Well I knew this would pop up, the truth is I couldn’t think of the correct terminology at 4am this morning, I think I was trying to describe it as a switch that turns the current from one direction to another. I’ve renamed it having dug out some hand books and it’s actually referred to as a ‘cut-out starter reversing contactor’, in the Nobel instruction book, which changes the current in the engine and allows it to run in either direction, so in effect you have 4 forward gears and 4 in reverse, if you’re mad enough to use them. Shocked

Incidentally 2 great sites for Fuldamobil’s are:
http://www.microcars.com.ar/fotful.html and http://www.fuldamobil.de the latter shows the aluminum-bodied versions, known as the S2 and NWF 200, which are totally different in design and far more complicated than the S7. More information on microcars can be found here: http://www.microcarmuseum.com and http://www.rumcars.org

Last edited by roundcars on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
SloResto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

It looks quite aerodynamic from the side view - does it have any origins in the aero industry?

From the pics you have got your work cut out for you but what an interesting project you have there.

What sort of performance figures - will it keep up with the traffic OK? Thanks for a most interesting post.

cheers
Mark
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, the Nobel 200 was assembled by Belfast based company Short Brothers & Harland Ltd, with a history in aircraft manufacture and ship building, though this is the only aero connection as the initial Fuldamobil design, was built by Electromaschinenbau Fulda who’s origins have only ever been associated with the manufacture of cars.

Top speed is thought to be around 40mph, says 60 on the speedo but the chassis’s quite heavy, which is an underlining flaw. I do have a spare chassis and have often wondered if I might lighten it somewhat by drilling holes in some less structural areas, as I‘ve seen this done on hot rods. As for mpg the original advert for this car actually stated, ‘The British super economy car makes motoring almost as cheap as breathing’.
Mr. Green

Mike
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but isnt the reversing system that is being mentioned the Siba Dynastart?
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Joe, Yes you're correct the Siba Dynastart (fig.276,276a) does enable the engine to turn in reverse, however I was refering to the contents of the black box, 'cut-out starter reversing contactor' is according to the Nobel instruction book (fig.299) though labeled as 'change-over switch' in the Sachs engine manual, no wonder it's confusing. Neutral

Last edited by roundcars on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roundcars, I can say one thing about the Nobel. I last had a ride in one nearly 40 years ago, and I still laugh when I think of it! I mean that in a positive way as well....
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Uncle Joe; I know for a fact the brakes are a flawed, needing constant adjustment. The gearbox has a tendency to slip from 1st to 4th, not to mention the horrendous steering. In the Nobel instruction book under 'driving hints' it mentions: "be sure to hold the steering wheel loosely" which doesn't bode well for confidence.
Sad

Mike
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more about how tail happy it was in the wet....if it was a dog it would have three tails! Laughing
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe, you're a braver man than me. Shocked
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roundcars, not brave, just a typical teenager! Laughing
poodge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh,I don't know ,Mike.It seems to me you're brave enough,tackling this project.
Btw.,I wonder if the Fulda that made these cars is the same Fulda that now makes tires?
roundcars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Poodge, I'm not sure about the Fulda question. Fulda is a region in Germany where the first cars were produced so it could just be a coincidence concerning the name.

This project looks bad, but it's not as technically demanding as a conventional car. It’s a great problem solving exercise with a little bit of everything, technique wise, which is a good learning curve considering I'm a novice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: