classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Charge in a 6v system
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Bugly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: 6V charging in a Morris 8 Series 1 Reply with quote

Hi all - just resurrecting this old post, as it seems to fill the purpose well.

In September this year I bought a 1935 Series 1 Morris 8 that had been restored some years ago, and was in quite remarkable condition. I must admit that I bought this vehicle from Perth in Western Australia sight-unseen, and based solely on photographs and discussions with the seller. Following the purchase, the Morris was then transported by truck 4,000km to Darwin in the Northern Territory.

On first turning the ignition on, I noticed that the ignition light didn't work, and on running the vehicle, the staged battery charging didn't seem to be working. Crying or Very sad With the headlights on the ammeter was showing a full scale (20A) discharge. Not good. This is what I have found so far ...

1. The cutout is a Lucas CFR2, and the contacts don't seem to be fully closing at fast idle ... just sitting there buzzing and arcing at the contact point.
2. The dynamo is a three-brush Lucas C35A unit. It was wired with a single wire from the cutout 'D' terminal to the dynamo 'POS' terminal, then strapped to the dynamo 'F2' terminal (???).
3. There were no wires on the cutout terminals 'F1' or 'F2'.

According to the wiring diagrams, the cutout teminals 'D', 'F1' and 'F2' are all to do with the battery charging. Little wonder it doesn't work with these bits missing. I opened up the dynamo, and checked it out electrically ... it all appeared to show the right readings. The insulator on the third brush spring tensioning arm fell to bits, so I fixed that with a bit of cunning and wizardry. Its now lubed and back in the engine bay.

I have wired the dynamo to the cutout with two wires, the 'D' and 'F2' connections. A good hunt around the wiring loom under the cutout doesn't show any folded back or unused wires, although the wiring loom looks like it was replaced with the last restoration. It included the wiring and fitting of twin-filament headlights with a "New Era" headlight relay, which is part of the new wiring harness. Maybe the 'F1' and 'F2' wires to the dashboard have been missing since then? The previous owner did mention that he used to keep the battery on the battery charger when he wasn't using the vehicle ... now I understand why! Rolling Eyes

With a C35A dynamo and a CFR2 cutout, I can't understand why the wiring was not completed during the restoration. Surely the lack of charging would have been noticed!??! Or maybe the Morris was only used for occasional daytime running, and it wasn't worth fixing it up?

But the point of this post ... thanks for the 2008 info! It will help me heaps!! Cheers - Bugly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: