classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What have you found in your project?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: What have you found in your project? Reply with quote

One of the things i love about finding a car that's been stood for years is what you find inside. I found a 50s bakery voucher from Cornwall in my hotrod when i first bought it and some old coins. There was more but it was so long ago i cant remember.
In my other Anglia i had 2 boxes of parts, a shilling and an old 90s trade-it which was a good read. There was also some old 50s/60s empty parts boxes.

Anyone found anything interesting? My dad's still got some "Californian mud" he scraped from the underside of his 1936 Ford. Thats a bit extreme.
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, when we were removing the interior the date tag on the rear seat was almost 48 years to the day! Think we were about 3 days out.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long after I got the Dodge, I was rooting around in the back and found an old copper printing plate, probably 3"x2" or so, and on it was a drawing of an old bicycle with an engine mounted above the front wheel. The chap who owned the Dodge was big on motorcycles, and at one time was boss of NVT (Norton Villiers Triumph) which may explain it.

In the E83W that buzzy now has, I found a tatty old Rolo choccy wrapper, with the price in shillings and pence - may still have it somewhere Wink

I was doing some welding to the door pillar on my green E83W a few years ago, and something caught fire in the screen pillar. Once I'd extinguished things, I dug out an old order book type thing, sadly too burned to be legible Sad

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my DS I found a Napoleon 3rd 20franc coin dated 1863 under the carpet.
Also when I bought it the owner had lost the gear knob in 1996 I found it tucked into a spring in the seat.
When I wanted to buy my son his first car I went to see the Renault 4 he has now after a rebuilt it completely. On the French Carte Gris (log book) it gives first date of registration the coincidence is it was dated 30 aug which is my sons birthday Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On the same lines, I got an old cash till not long ago, took the base off, and found the garentee from the 20's, quite a nice thing to find, and I am probably the first to see it since it was sold!

Cheers

Dave
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly different line;
When I was dismantling the DS I turned the shell over on a roller and out of the rear suspension sockets fell a golf ball size of tangled "swarf"
For a start the position its in it would never come to light even if it was there unless the shell is turned.
When at the factory the body is placed on a jig and although the holes are in place a special machine reams them all at once accurately so the geometry is perfect
Not very exciting to most people but to us car restorers, well, OK just fanatics like me I considered it very special and it sits in a glass jar Rolling Eyes
Some people just wont understand Laughing

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70s I found ( down a back seat ) a 'Gryffon' tape containing 'Midnight Mushrumps'
along with other fascinating pieces of music. I played the tape to destruction.

My most recent find, (tucked away in a corner of the boot in my modern)
was a small putrifying shore crab. The was found after bitter complaints from the memsahib following one of my fishing trips. Sad

Don.
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we stripped the interior from my truck, I found a US 1 cent coin - must've been in there when it was shipped over, probably as long as 50 years!

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years and various different cars, all kinds of things. Theres a story on the main site regarding what I found in my old Triumph Vitesse, and the consequences.

Stripping my Lincoln, I found two cents in the dash, and I mean IN the dash, as well as the original build shett under the back seat.

Pulling the carpets out of my 300 in autumn revealed 38 cents (Rich at last!) and some ancient bubble gum.

The best (or worst) find was in a 62 Ford T'bird. In hidden compartments under the front driver and passenger floors, some plastic bags with a powder in...
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hidden compartments under the front driver and passenger floors, some plastic bags with a powder in...

Foot powder UJ? Talc? Laughing
stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old '47 Studebaker I found a chrome metal square ladies compact type thing that has art deco styling on it.
It polished up well and now is in the trophy case.
Also found an old cone-shaped bra under the rear seat. Shocked
That got thrown out! Laughing
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are mosstly always some coins found under the car seats, but my best find was when I moved house, I dismantled the bathroom and stripped everything out. Behind the bath was a small coin which I stuck into my pocket as I thought it was a farthing. Later on when I was finished for the day I emptied my pockets and looked closer at the coin, it was a half sovereign. I still have it to this day.
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst dismantling a very rusty Volvo 1800 i chucked a grubby bracelet out onto the drive; me Dad picks it up and goes to clean it......
comes back and asks me if i always throw out gold.......

i've been amazed at the coinage spilling from my acquisitions; i have a small sack full of money from all around the world. one day i'll embed it all in acrylic for a display base!
Kaybee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for you,we had an old 41 Willys sedan delivered a couple of years ago after being laid up in the early 60's. It had been used as a repository for all sorts of junk and was literally filled to the window level with STUFF. Rolling Eyes First thought was "what are we going to do with all this rubbish"...next thing you know my son is into it with a vengeance...treasures galore he thinks...so ...there's stuff coming out the doors onto the lawn...cries of glee,etc as he unearths all sorts of trinkets,w/shopmanuals,bullets,tarpaulins,photo's, gasket kits...even a leather WW1 flying helmet with goggles which promtly got jammed on his head,then back into it for more ferreting. We've got a pretty fair pile of stuff on the grass by this time, next thing out is the rear seat base which lands upside down on the pile....and out of it comes a grey streak moving at speed...and then another...and another....RATS....that's why the helmet stunk a bit Shocked Laughing Laughing ....well the rats took off at warp speed under the fence and into next door,never to be seen again, the dopey dog is just standing watching the procession, the helmet has come off the head super quick along with lots of yelling and head shaking and a quick run to the water tap,...the rest of us are rolling around in fits of laughter...it was like a comedy....still got most of the treasures, but not the hat.... Laughing Laughing,cheers, Col.
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Surprised 41 Willys! We need pictures and if you want to ship it to me i can look after it for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: