classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What have you found in your project?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee's also got a very nice Fairlane that would look lovely parked next to ours. Cool
Kaybee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it's a bit far to travel.... Laughing Laughing
Kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Surprised Surprised 41 Willys! We need pictures and if you want to ship it to me i can look after it for you.

Might be a bit big for a parcel Smile ,but here's some pics of it, remember it's a bit "ratty".....

this is the scene of the rat exit... Shocked ...and you can see all the junk inside,

and this '38 was also from the same place,

and here it is in 1958 ,

Didn't know it when we bought it,but this car had been a participant in the '58 Ampol Round Australia Trial, one of a series of particularly gruelling events that were popular at that time. This car had been built for the Trial using the engine from the '41 and a 4 speed trans of unknown origin, dual fuel tanks ,tele shocks, the welded on roof rack you can see in the pics and a host of other "refinements". We found some documentation in the '41 that hinted at the original owners competitive achievements, and this pointed us towards one of the local motoring clubs who were re-enacting the trial series as a celebration event. Strangely enough,it turned out that the guy behind the re-enactment knew 2 of the original crew of this car and brought them over to meet us. Both gents are in their 80's now, but still recalled how Geoff Blythe,the owner and Speedway motorcycle Champ, liked to set the little Willys up for a corner and slide it around like a bike. The navigator said he saw most of the journey through the side window Laughing . We were lucky enough to obtain copies from them of all their slides of the event, one of which is the above pic. The '38 was returned to regular use after the trial and used until the late 60's, the '41 sat in a lean-to until we got it from Geoff's estate. Both cars only needed fuel,points cleaning and a battery to get them running again, but the '41 was trashed in the body ,so we kept all the hang on panels as spares for our '41 Coupe and sold off the remnants. The '38 we were able to run around the streets in for a while and the intention was to re furbish it for the upcoming Trial, but time was against us and we decided to pass it on to someone who would be able to do it in time, regards, Col.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow kaybee what a great story, and pair of cars - the '38 one would look great restored back into that trial livery, wonder if the new owner(s) will do that??

RJ
Cool
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree, that's a unique little piece of history now it would be nice to see it restored to rally condition.
Kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day guys, yes the new owner was planning to clean the '38 up a little and preserve it in essentially the original condition. I would have liked to rebuild it as the trials car, but at the time my '36 Ford was in a million pieces and I had been sidetracked too often by other projects, so it was decided to move the Willys on and concentrate on the Ford, otherwise it would never get back together...can't have everything... Smile , but it was a bit of fun salvaging the Willys, getting it running again and researching it's history, cheers, Col.
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! A 41 Willys and a 36 Ford! I want to come and live with you. I know a guy from Bristol who has a 41 and another who has a 38.

Look away if you dont like hotrods....

And this is my dads 36....

Kaybee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Craig,that looks pretty slick,here's a pic of our '36,

Don't have one of the Willys in photobucket....although if you look in the garage in the background of the old '41 sedan, you can see a purple mass beside the Lambretta, that's the Coupe.I'll get a decent pic for you soon, cheers, Col.
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
In hidden compartments under the front driver and passenger floors, some plastic bags with a powder in...

Foot powder UJ? Talc? Laughing

I was a little worried about the old cop car that was being shipped from the U.S. as I had heard of people finding all manner of things that had been stuffed down behind the seat by people on their way to jail. I had visions of customs men jumping on me when I went to Liverpool to collect the car. One of the first things I did when I got home was to remove the rear seat just to check. Rolling Eyes Just a few coins.
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH, is yours the NYPD that was at Billing?

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the back of the Z van I found two bags of earplugs, must be over a hundred pairs, they are coming in quite handy at the mo, usually immediately prior to feeding Wink

Rick
BigHealey

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling Rick!
The only thing I have found in the Healey during pulling it apart was a household insurance poilcy from 1970 inside the passenger side door. This was a useful find as it gave me the name and address details of one of the cars previous owners - another piece in the jigsaw!!!
bob2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick would you happen to have a spare bag of ear plugs for me then!!! Laughing
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
Hi Rick would you happen to have a spare bag of ear plugs for me then!!! Laughing

hehe I'm getting through them at quite a rate already, none to spare Wink might even start dishing them out to visitors to the house Laughing

RJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
In the back of the Z van I found two bags of earplugs, must be over a hundred pairs, they are coming in quite handy at the mo, usually immediately prior to feeding Wink

Rick

Blimy, I saw the pic, and hadn't read the text, thought you had found another baby in a car! hehe Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: