classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My minis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that look goooooooood Cool no wonder you won a price Very Happy you should get the clock fixed so it said "birdy nam nam" when it came out Laughing did you see the SPEEDWELL badge on Ebay last week??
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really smart Bob - a credit to you! Very Happy
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh I should have specified that it wasnt a concourse prize or anything of the sort just a lottery with MINI branded items donated from the local agent and from RMF breakdown service whom are sponsoring our club(similar to your AA).
The no plate of the surf blue was drawn in the lottery and I was given that clock.

No aint looking much into ebay, only when I need something which I cant find locally!!
CAnt go on spending all my money.
There are lots of period items and accesories from MK1performance on ebay at the mo!!
some really rare stuff!!

Thanks 640TMP, ur A35s look great too (over here they were refferred to as baby austins) recently a very good one was sold local to me, 1 owner from new and resprayed only once (1 year ago) and it was black.

Sprayed it the same guy that did my hunter.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, did you do work on your cars or the house this weekend? or did you just relax Cool I just took it easy, was out for a spin with the JANSPEED/WP yesterday, it was the first time I parked it in public, and sat a few feet away, the comments it got Very Happy he he it was in Hornbaek a little town with a lot of tourists in the summer, and the comments it got Wink he he, NO one knew what it was ----- people stood around it, talking about what car it was ??? they could see the backend was Mini, but got completely confused when they saw the WP badges/front/interior???????
I have NOT forgotten about the MK II/III lights Smile one day I will find his number, just have to think Confused not easy once you get older-he he
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I wish I could go for a spin and chill out a bit and relax!!!!
I m still working in the house but by this week should be ready for now, then will have some more work late august (the roof)!!

Next week will restart doing bits and pieces for the hunter resto so not much time to go for a spin but when I'll get fed up I'll take a break!!

LAst time both minis went out was on that 50th anniversary event so they need to get some fresh air again!!
thinking of getting the surf blue one for work tomorrow instead of the daily but will need to swap them tonight cause I am always late in the morning!! Laughing
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some work on my minis yesterday;
Fitted 2 new speakers to the green one since the old ones had blown the woofers, finally have some proper sound agian though the old ones when new were way better!!
Also will be taking the blue one for the vrt (MOT) today infact took it to work and will pass to a testing station afterwards.
Had no side and tail lights when I checked everything over yesterday but thankfully all was attributed to a blown fuse so nothing major!!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VRT passed without any hiccups!!!
only issue, brakes needs some adjustment but thats down to me, the tester did not mention anyhthing!!
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having some problems with them minis lately, mainly the green one!!
Tried sorting a leaking caliper without much success, ended up buying new stainless steel pistons and new rubber seals for both calipers, fitted them and leak stopped but no brakes!!! Evil or Very Mad

checked the rear adjustments and the adjuster wound up and tightened fully and still no brakes!!
bled the whole sytem starting from the rear and still NO BRAKES!!!
took the rear drums apart to find slightly leaking wheel cylinders and a proper mess!!
ended up putting new shoes, wheel cylinders and a new flexible brake pipe!!
Bled the system
STILL NO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats where I stand up at the moment, have ordered new seals for the master cylinder, new rubber seals for the caliper (since I have split them and did not renew the small rubber seal which sits in between) and also a new pressure regulator valve for the rear since the original one was making some strange clicking noises although didnt find anything wrong when dismantled!!
Its driving me nuts!!!
Before all this it was working albeit pulling slightly to the left because of a right leaking caliper (or thats what I thought)!!!

Hwever when I do pump the brake pedal there are brakes hence why I was thinking there is something wrong with the master.
Any ideas?

The surf blue mini on the other had decided to join in the fun too in the meantime dropping around an inch on the front which means I'l have to take the suspension apart and see whats wrong with it!!!
BL***Y MINIS!!!! Mad

All this means that the hunter got stuck (yet again) on the back burner!!!
Sad
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new Teal Blue Mini registered 371 NRA at Easter 1960. With production falling well behind demand, I was one of the lucky ones with certainly the only Mini in the area.

Oh, the fun!

Expressions on peoples faces when this "bubble car" (they thought) overtook them on steep hills and disappeared round corners at speeds they could not believe. And fighting my way nonchalently through the crowds gathered around it to drive it away whenever I had left it parked.

Perhaps the best memory was a trip to London where I found I could park anywhere! Lots of spaces that nothing but a Mini a bubble car or a wheelbarrow could get into!

I suppose I would have tired of it eventually and passed it on, but my ownership terminated prematurely when necessity dictated a car with room for a carrycot etc. in the boot. But I suppose that was MY fault! You can't keep everything you enjoyed acquiring!!!
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice memories indeed!!
However dont think it was a teal blue in 1960 as that colour was only available on mrk 3 minis, most probably a 1960 model would have been clipper blue or speedwell blue.
what model was it a basic one, super or deluxe?
exbmc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: No brakes Reply with quote

bob2, obviously you have done a lot of work on the brakes, and I can't help much from here. One thing we found through experience, was that poor (No) brake pedal on disc braked Mini's, could be helped by not bleeding with new pads fitted. If you can pump some pressure up and push out the pistons a bit, onto some worn pads, or a pair of flat tyre levers is good. You can then vent the air from the system better. Hope this helps. Love your Mini pix.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob2,

There was only one blue (in fact only a choice of three colours). On reflection I had a Teal Blue Oxford and it was a different colour (shade), but the blues you mention don't ring bells.

I still have the original invoice somewhere for about £496 on the road. I will have to dig it out to see if the colour is mentioned. I think the red was something like "Fangio Red". Am I right about that? Was the third colour White?

Correction: Ah! Now I remember! The Morris version was Clipper Blue and the Austin version was Speedwell Blue, which was about the only way you could tell them apart without reading the badge.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Would it have been the Caribean Blue a sort of torquoisey colour?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Would it have been the Caribean Blue a sort of torquoisey colour?

I don't think so, but then my late Wife and I agreed to differ on what was and was not turquoise. The name does not sound right.
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ex bmc but I do have used pads on it and still no joy!! Sad
The parts have turned up yesterday so this saturday will be doing the master and change the regulator valve on the rear subframe and see what happens, have also ordered the rubber washers to go in between the split caliper just in case since when we splitted those we did not renew them though I doubt that its the cause of all this grief!!

Jim you are right about the 2 blue colours being austin or morris, I think the red was the same for both though I forgot the name and the white was old english white, infact the very first morris mini 621AOK is oew, and the first austin mini (actually its the 2nd cause the first was crash tested) is in japan and is speedwell blue!!
what make was urs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: