classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My minis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tahiti blue mini left my garage just after christmas.
My blue mini is doing ok but the green one wanted some attention so during the same time and while driving back from the VRT (MOT) after receiving a pass, the front suspension on the driver's side collapsed. I ordered new road rally suspension rubber cones , new hilos adjustable trumpets, new suspension knuckle joints and new lower arm poly bushes. So that the front will be sorted with new components. Have not had the time to do it yet and will probably hand the car and parts to a pro as I do not have the time and neither all the tools needed!
Will try and hand it over this week to maybe have an operational car by the next!!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the suspension got sorted last week so I decided on taking out the car for a nice drive last sunday. Fresh petrol and a clean on friday, check of all the fluids and on sunday met some friends and went for a run + all the family on board too. Went to a location to take some nice photos of the trio and then left to another place were our club was meeting. Arrived there, chatted for a while and then time to go home. However the mini was not having it!! Battery down, so we try a push start but nothing. Managed to borrow a battery booster, but still no joy so apart from the flat battery, there was something else!!!!
Had to tow it back home!
Will see this evening and try to solve it hopefully!
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so yesterday evening I went to the garage, fitted the battery of the minivan, it fitted in the battery box but the polarities are the other way round and the positive cable just made it to the battery. Checked spark, fine a nice fat spark, checked fuel, and that too was fine!! Some head scratching and thinking and decided to take off the plugs to investigate those, turned up they were a bit too brown for my liking. Cleaned them all up, well not all as number 3 is well and truly stuck so will have to figure out how to take that out now!!
Re fitted those 3 and it fired up instantly!!!
For the time being I am trying penetrating oil on the plug squirting a little each time I am in the garage to take out or put in the daily.

Anyone has any idea what's best to take off the plug, I want to put a new set on.
Shall I give the car a run and get the engine to normal temp. maybe it will be easier to undo when hot?!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
Ok, so yesterday evening I went to the garage, fitted the battery of the minivan, it fitted in the battery box but the polarities are the other way round and the positive cable just made it to the battery. Checked spark, fine a nice fat spark, checked fuel, and that too was fine!! Some head scratching and thinking and decided to take off the plugs to investigate those, turned up they were a bit too brown for my liking. Cleaned them all up, well not all as number 3 is well and truly stuck so will have to figure out how to take that out now!!
Re fitted those 3 and it fired up instantly!!!
For the time being I am trying penetrating oil on the plug squirting a little each time I am in the garage to take out or put in the daily.

Anyone has any idea what's best to take off the plug, I want to put a new set on.
Shall I give the car a run and get the engine to normal temp. maybe it will be easier to undo when hot?!

The joys of old cars eh? a few heat cycles might well help free it, plus the oil (and maybe a drop of diesel) poured over it too.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And perhaps try giving it a tighten up, sounds odd I know but just a little nip up sometimes helps free the thread enough to start some movement.
once it moves a little, get some plusgas down there and start working the plug in and out in small movements.

good luck

Kev
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already tried that method Kev but it just won't budge neither side!!!
And I am afraid I might break the plug by applying too much leverage!!!
Evil or Very Mad
Will try giving it a run by the end of the week hopefully but during the week its difficult to find the time!!
I was thinking that if I could get the engine up to temperature therefore heating the cylinder head and apply some form of cold to the plug it might be enough to just help it a little! Might I try a freezed ice pack and put it next to the plug touching it. It will take time but might be worth a try!!
Or is it just plain stupid? Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it likely to have rusted in, or perhaps cross-threaded even??

RJ
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of the other 3 was rusted in so I presume this one had no reason to, especially since the car in question sees very little use and is only used in good weather!
And it looks to be seating evenly all round so not cross threaded. I have been soaking it still in penetrating oil but seems it has made no difference. Only remaining option is to give it a run getting the engine up to temperature!!
If that does not cut it, will have to take the head off!!! Sad
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, managed to take it for a run on friday and also to get the offending plug out. Had to clean it up and re fit as I have not yet bought replacements.
Its now sitting in the corner waiting for me to take out again for a spin after changing the plugs!!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I got the green mini out for a good run around the island and really enjoyed it. Oh still have not changed the plugs as yet!!
Too many cars, too many work to do and very little time for it all!!!! Sad

Presently I am trying to help my cousin on his mini restoration too. Presently we're in the process of removing all the paint from said mini before it goes to a welder friend of ours to have some surgery! Smile
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well both my saloon minis are still in my posession.
Have done some work on the green one, mainly new rubber dampers and have changed the suspension cones to hilos so lowered it a fair bit. I have also sprayed a spare set of wheels I had lying around and polished the lips, bought new yokohamas and this is the result;

Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two beautiful cars, Bob. A credit to you.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith. However parts are easily available for my cars whilst the same can't be said for your cars!
Much more of a credit to you then! Smile
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't posted here in a while. This year I bit the bullet and started the restoration of my surf blue mini. Changed both sills, part of the floor board, under the cross member and some other little patches in the inner panels and rear apron. Its looking quite nice now but how can I post pics here please?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
Haven't posted here in a while. This year I bit the bullet and started the restoration of my surf blue mini. Changed both sills, part of the floor board, under the cross member and some other little patches in the inner panels and rear apron. Its looking quite nice now but how can I post pics here please?

Hi, same as before, you need to upload them to a third party image hosting website and link to them from here.

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: