classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Willys US Navy CJ-3A Jeep, 1953
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
dclf1947

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Willys US Navy CJ-3A Jeep, 1953 Reply with quote

I thought it was time I stopped lurking and inroduced myself.
I have retired to the North of the Philippines, 14 hour drive from Manila.
To amuse myself I have started to restore the Jeep. It interested me when I saw it ouside a breakers yard because it had the US Navy plate on the dash which contains the original engine number etc., A far as I could tell all all the main items were original. Of course it had been messed about in the normal Filipino way with stacks of add on chrome, stainless steel etc. but did not seem too bad. It had been painted many times, by various methods but it was easy to seethat the original colour was "navy grey".
The local lads helped me with the body and have doine remarkable job woith it cutting out and welding in new metal, removing dents etc. prior to priming. I wanted to save the original body tub even though the ones you buy in the UK are made here (cost about 800 pounds).
I will post the photographs below and write more as progress is made.

This is a great forum, I have learned so much from it already.

Dave Foster
Laoag City
Philippines

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far, a credit to all involved.

If I may, I would like to ask a question. As you may have seen, Rick is restoring a wartime Dodge. According to my sources, there should be a number of those remaining on the islands. Have you ever seen any?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, great to see the pics of your Jeep on here Smile welcome aboard

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
dclf1947

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Joe

There probably were many over here but where I live most people are very poor. It is a farming area and the workers get less than 2 pounds a day. A teacher gets just over 100 pounds a month. Because scrap metal has a value a metal object that is broken or worn beyond repair is immediately sold to to the scrap man. I have even seen kids taking big nails out of wood to weigh them in. The scrapyards keep no stock, a truck will come around twice a week picking up whatever they have to take it to Manila (and these days from there to China).
I have seen one Dodge though that the local electric company uses for carrying it's poles nut even that has had a Isuzu engine / gearbox retrofitted.
I was very surprised to find the Jeep with the original engine and gearbox, there are a few Jeeps around but most have been fitted with more modern engines and gearboxes.
I am told that right in the North, about 6 hours drive away, because of the bad roads the scrap man has not really scavenged the area yet. I am hoping to drive up in a few weeks time to check it out.

Dave Foster
Laoag City
Philippines.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can understand that about getting money for the scrap. Pity though, by our standards, a bit sad.

My sources, by the way, are in Quezon, I guess about the same 14 hours from you as Manila, is that correct?
dclf1947

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick.

Uncle Joe, you arre correct, Quezon is part of Metro Manila.

I have been lucky purchased from one of the many scrap men two complete flat head Jeep Engines and gearboxes (including the transfer box), plus a set of axles. He now knows I am interested in Jeep spares and calls in if he has something.
Because labour is cheap the cost of overhauling the engine was excellent. We found some old stock pistons, shells, valves, springs and guides etc. Had the block sleeved, crank ground, hardened valve inserts, new guides fitted and the water pump overhauled for less than 190 pounds including the parts.

Dave Foster
Laoag City
Philippines
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I forget, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing the progress of the project
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Dave!

Smashing job you've done with that Jeep. Congrats.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing that it hadn't been "Jeepneyed" like the ubiquitous Manila denizens. good catch; and ironic that the port/starboard tail lamps were installed on an ex-Navy vehicle!
SloResto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave and welcome. A very nice project you have there and its looking good.

I was talking to an old tractor mechanic this week who managed a copra plantation in 1961 on an island off New Giunea.

Apparently New Guinea was littered with old US jeeps after the war and just off the main track on this island lay an old WW2 jeep rotting away... the local boys used to wee on it as they would pass by and think it a joke.

Anyway Barry had some spare time on his hands and some mechanical knowledge and so decided to resurrect it.. alot of body work and repaint - some parts he couldn't get but he was able to at least use it as transpot around the island.

He said they were very well built and as tough as nails. Like you he used the local guys to help out - many of whom used to wee on it as they passed - but now with a new found respect for the project.

The pics look good and I wish you all the best with your project.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd go through some of the interesting older posts on here - how's the Jeep doing Dave?

Rick Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
dclf1947

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Just thought I'd go through some of the interesting older posts on here - how's the Jeep doing Dave?

Rick Smile

Rick, the Jeep is currently being wired and needs the fuel lines made. It starts, drives and stops. Unfortunately I can't locate a complete handbrake mechanism that goes on the transmission. With the customs and delivery costs I need to get one here. If the worst comes to the worst I may modify a Isuzu brake to fit. I also need to get another steering box as the one I have. although it works, is very worn.
I am pleased with the engine though. The local machine shop sleeved the bores, ground the crank, installed new valve seats and guides pls fitted new pistons, rings, mains and big end bearing, valves and springs for a total cost of less than 250 pounds. I took the windscreen frame to the local jeepney shop a few weeks ago and they cut a screen and fitted it foe less than 15 pounds, but it must be remembered the guys working in the garage trade get less than 5 pounds a day wages.
I have another toy hopefully coming shortly (been after it for a couple of years) which will just need a good clean and an oily rag. A 1955 Farmall Cub tractor, unused since 1963, but started every year. The guy who owned it used to play at farming on about an acre and a half of land. The tin work is totally undamaged.

Dave
Laoag City
Philippines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: