classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dummy voltage regulators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
drdean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Dummy voltage regulators Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Just been reading the thread further down about testing 6v regulators. Very interesting.

It got me thinking as to whether dummy voltage regulators are available? I imagine that the electronics involved in doing the same job would be fairly small. I wondered if any company produces voltage regulators that use modern electronics but externally still resemble the old multiterminal boxes? Does anyone know of any?

Cheers
Dean
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never built one but I should think all you need is a diode a potentiometer and a relay...about £10. but there's bound to be someone who supplies ready-made circuits.Confused
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never actually heard of any for 6 volt systems, I have done for 12 volts. Quite often they are new electronics in the old casing, or at least, a passable copy.

I can post a photo if you wish of a 12 volt 'copy...
drdean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ

Yes that would be interesting. Especially if its the common Lucas 5 terminal type. Any idea of the company that makes them or of a web link?

Cheers
Dean
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that I am referring to I've only seen for American vehicles, they are not the Lucas type, sorry for any misunderstanding...

Although this link might be of some help:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et231.htm
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be quite simple to create an electronic version of the control box, note it is a “Control Box” not just a voltage regulator, unless you are talking about the mainly pre war voltage regulators that were fitted to the cars with a 3rd brush dynamo where the additional control was either manual or connected to the lighting circuits.
If you just replace a control box with a voltage regulator, it would severely reduce the dynamo life.

That said an electronic replacement of the control box properly designed could make the dynamo more efficient as you could have infinite control of the field current, where as the electro mechanical control box can only switch a single resistor in and out to regulate the current.

Be an interesting little project, I might have a go at knocking one up!! Very Happy

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats more UK, it would make a good article on here as well... Very Happy
Thumpersloper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Electronic regulators Reply with quote

Im an owner/driver/enthusiast and run a small company converting original mechanical regulators and cut outs to electronic operation.

I also rebuild and/or convert all makes and models of dynamo.

I sell a range of 6 and 12v LED bulbs and light boards for vintage and classic cars and bikes. See my website at :-

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: