classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1947 Jaguar Starts Up After 40 years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: 1947 Jaguar Starts Up After 40 years Reply with quote

This car was the first Jaguar owned by the author Dick Francis. In the clip it has no wiring loom, no fan belt, no exhaust system and because of new rings and bearings it is very tight and difficult to turn over. At the end of the clip the rocker oil feed flexible pipe catches fire due to a leak. I'm using a screwdriver to connect the starter solenoid. It's amazing that the starter motor can turn it. It was impossible with the starting handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGNBSCJHjU

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super clip Peter, and what a satisfying feeling to get the engine fired up.

Well done
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these first start-ups are always really emotional moments.

This one is a friend's car but when I started my own old Jag after 20 odd years of being a heap of parts it was a rather longer process. I only poured 1 gallon of petrol into the tank and after an initial few kicks she refused to go until I remembered to pull out the petrol reserve tap. Embarassed

Peter
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that feeling my S Type was parked against a garage in 1977 I bought it 1991 finished it 1994 after 17yrs it started on the button that was a moment to cherish Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the start up of my old Jag. I only put 1 gallon of petrol in her tank and after an initial few kicks she refused to start until it dawned on me that I needed to pull out the petrol reserve tap. The engine has no timing marks and she spits back due to being far too far advanced. She's also very tappity.

The drive out of the garage was my first experience of driving her and the street scene was the first time of her being out on the public highway. At this stage she had a very noisey rear axle and gearbox and no interior trim.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpzg3sVvJGw
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great moment, great clip Peter. Merits opening a bottle of 'Bolly'. But I couldn't take my eyes off a 'phallic' looking reflection that kept appearing on the front crossmember of your opening clip. put me out of my misery... What was it? Confused
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pigtin,

Trust you to spot that! Rolling Eyes That's the secret ingredient to getting any old girl going. Very Happy

Peter
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ianm

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the secret ingredient !!!! PETROL???? Very Happy Very Happy
Ian
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 1947 car the real secret ingredient was getting the engine to turn over at all! It was so tight that we had to get it positioned to easier crank angles in order for the starter motor to get it rotating.

For the 1939 car, yes indeed petrol was the secret (missing) ingredient. Embarassed

Peter Wink
ianm

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Peter its great to get them going after such a long time , I was amazed that my Hillman Estate started after 25 years.
Gave her some fuel hooked her up to the rider mower and about 3 turns away,oil pressure, diaphram fuel pump working the lot. Very happy. Looks like you have a few more happy hours in the shed to completion.
Ian Smile
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1947 one was shot a couple of years ago. It belongs to friend who has far too many old cars needing restoration and this one has still not got on the road.

I just posted the clips on YouTube following a similar start up video on another forum, and thought I'd point to them here too.

I've had quite a few Rootes Group cars as my everyday transport in the past and really liked them. Needless to say I had the engines out of all them on several occasions. They were quite nice to work on if memory serves me correct. (Or is that just rose coloured specs?
Sad )

Peter

ianm

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Peter, 14 you have been doing well, I can only claim 9 , seven as everyday runners except for my Fiat Bertoni x1/9 and the Series 3 Estate which is still in bits. Never had a motor scooter , I had a Triumph Trophy for a while and it nearly broke me , sold it to a mate who paid me then he went on a cruise and asked me to look after it , took it for a ride and came off on some tram tracks , end of bike, I'd spent the money so it was cap in hand to Dad for a loan.
Did you keep the Black Morris Minor? I have friend with one he bought new and still runs from Warwick to Perth each year to see his daughter.
Pat's in his seventies now and we wonder how long he will keep doing it.
Ian Smile
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one that nearly finished me too. It didn't get photographed. Fortunately it was raining that day so I was wearing a helmet (not compulsory back then). Also fortunately it was the other guy's fault and I got the money to buy the Heinkel from his insurance.

No, I got rid of the Minor as soon as I could afford the Minx. The Minor was my least favourite vehicle of the bunch.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: