classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

lost car 1930
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
claire21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: lost car 1930 Reply with quote

How do i find what happened to a 1930 daimler if i have its registration number? its not on dvla system, so where do i go from there. Reg starts UW then 2 numbers.
Thanks

Claire
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if you have a photo (or even if you don't) I could add its details to the Find a Car section of the main oldclassiccar.co.uk site. You could also try the RAC website as they have a vehicle check service, where you can enter the reg. no. and see if any records exist (sometimes brings different results back than those from DVLA direct).

hth
Rick.
claire21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing on RAC site, i think it may have got lost in the 40s. Who would hold records on cars prior to DVLA?

Thanks
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the car's registration, the local (to the car) registration office may still contain old records, but its a long shot

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another long shot, if it still exists, could be the site whereisitnow.

Sorry I dont know the complete address, but a search engine should give a result
claire21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think its going to be harder than that. The car is the sister car to one owned by my dad until a couple of years ago. His car has just one pebble beach concours this weekend and you can see a pic of it on their site. Sorry dont know how to put in links. Claire
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at the Pebble Beach car. According to my records, there were only 4 of those ever made, and all of those in 1931. I believe that ther is (was) one in Australia. Could that be the one?

If anyone knows the whereabouts of the car you are looking for, it will be the Daimler Club...have you tried them?
claire21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what records you have but there was only ever reported to be 2. The pebble beach site states 4 but this is incorrect. The missing car was built for Captain Wilson in 1930 and Dads for a Mr Hutchins in 1931.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The records that I have in my possession are from research that I carried out a good few years ago, and are authenticated.

They show that Corsica Coachbuilders built 4 cars in 1931. And NONE in 1930. There could however, be an explanation for the discrepancy, which I will try to check if possible.

Incidentally, do you know what the most interesting thing about these cars is?
claire21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know more about what you found out. As far as i know the missing Daimler was 1930 low chassis tourer built by Daimler and the low chasis design done by Thonson & Taylor (Brooklands) under the direction of Reid Railton, the body made by Corsica, Cricklewwod. It was tested by Reid Railton at Brooklands in 1930.

The most interesting thing about these cars......? For me seeing how fast it would go as a child coming home from the pub!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire, I can quite understand your comment about the speed, I guess you could say "it would fly."

Sleeve valve engines were originally developed for the aircraft industry, and were reputedly the first to develop over 100hp / litre, (pre WWI)!although the metallurgy of the time prevented this - for long periods anyway!

What I am going to check out is "the other two." I know that 4 chassis were delivered to Corsica. (substantiated). I know that Corsica delivered 4 cars (also substantiated), But, in their day, Corsica were notorious for farming out work, and it is possible that this is the reason for the discrepancy.

How´s the weather in CA?
claire21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in Somerset UK, so is Dad, we didnt go to the show.

Let me know what else you can find, i love a good mystery.

Where are you? Do you have any classic cars?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good mystery myself, especially if its anything remotely connected with engineering

I´m situated in Sweden (of all places!).

My current classic is a Lincoln Continental Coupe, and my daily driver is a Chrysler New Yorker.

I´ve already sent out a few queries to my "network." As soon as I hear anything, I´ll let you know.

Keep in touch, offline if you wish, your choice!
claire21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i had to look them up on web and they look very nice. Dad has about 50 cars in his collection and got a Duesenberg phaeton to take the Daimlers footprint. If you ever get to the south west UK look him up.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ll do that, if you´ll tell me where to go (!) If your Dads got a Doozy, does he want someone to look after his collection?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: