classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tyre pump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
eddieg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: leather washers Reply with quote

Hi, sorry I put this on the braided hose thread. Still a beginner here!Repeating the story here below for completeness.

I've used this method a couple of times now with good success. I've used thinnish fairly supple leather - about 1/16 inch thick - pinched from my wifes needlework box where she had it for patching elbows on jumpers and jackets. I've used two pieces where necessary - one on top of the other - and because its so supple I didnt bother to steep in water overnight. Just covered it all in oil, tightened a jubilee clip on and cut off the spare bits. Then straight into the barrel and hey presto.

I'm in the middle of overhauling an old kismet duplex pump at the moment - which has three internal washers of various sizes. Quite complex but fun!

Will try and put a couple of pics up soon - away for a couple of days. Anayway - a repeat of the guidance

REPOSTING
A chap from Australia has just sent me instructions about making leather washers for repairing pumps. Hope he's happy for me to cut and paste here - maybe people have seen it before?

Making and fitting leather washers

The following method is suitable for producing replacement washers for air pumps , airguns , etc.
Although some of the washers have just a retaining screw passing through the centre and some are much bigger and sit around a large brass piston end of about 3 inches diameter ( i.e., as in the Kismet Master , and Sequel ) the way of making them is much the same.
What you have to find is some decent leather that is not too thick ( or too thin ) i.e., nice and manageable . Cut a disc that is approx. half an inch larger all round than the diameter of the pump barrel that it will be running in . This will be the same for the different washers in the multi-barrelled pumps.
Make a central hole – as neat a fit as possible – for the securing screw to pass through ( or a large hole in the case of the Master / Sequel , etc. ).
Leave this new washer to soak in tepid water for a good hour , or even overnight. Now here is the real trick : put the wet washer onto the rod , or large piston and fix it in place with its screw or brass ring , Tighten down firmly. Around the washer place a jubilee clip ( water hose clip ) and tighten it until it is the same diameter as the pump barrel . What you have to do at this stage is to push the edges of the washer with a screw driver against the inner edge of the clip to get rid of the creases as much as you can. Because I make washers fairly often for the same types of pump , I have collected a few small sections of brass tubing to do the job of the jubilee clips , but the method remains the same.
Leave the new washer in place to dry naturally – overnight if necessary , and when dry , pare away any excess bits of leather from around the rim of the clip. You will need a really sharp blade to do this , and try to keep the edge equal all the way round.
Give the washer a good oiling after removing the clip , and insert the piston back into its barrel . Get straight into some serious pumping – and Bob should be your uncle. With the Kismet range – and others with a similar system – make sure to oil often through the hole in the side of the large barrel. Good Luck!
UNQUOTE

EddieG
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Finally a few pics of a few of my pumps:-

Very Happy

Cheers

dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I like the Kismet Lorry one Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Footpump also an odd tool Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
buzzy bee wrote:

P.S... Rick, get some pics up!
Laughing

ok you did ask,

firstly, a Kismet Baby, a Dunlop Junior and a W&D foot pump (not heard of this one before)

then the Dunlop Major, a Dunlop Standard and another Kismet Baby, slightly different to the previous one

Next a large Romac pump. This one until this morning was seized up completely, and covered in thick black gunge that took some scrubbing to clean off. The main piston was seized, as was the small hinged retaining bracket. With both of these freed up, it works again as it did 80+ years ago

Finally for now, the Kismet Scooter-Flator, shown with a tin of 3-in-1 for scale Smile

I plan to put an old tools section on the main site sometime, then I can veer off into talking about old spanners, grease guns and so on Smile

Rick

Hello Rick..I bought an old Dunlop Standard footpump at a car boot sale today similar to the one in your photo.All in working order.I paid £5.00 for it .Is that a good price?
How do I set about cleaning it please?

Also I bought out of curiosity a tool that the chap said was to remove the tops off filters.it is a flat piece of metal with a bicycle chain attached to it.

I'm sure all the engineers out there will know. Pat
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like a filter wrench, simmilar to the modern filter strap, you would use with your ratchet.

£5 is a good price, just look on ebay for the prices they fetch!

Cleaning it, well I don't like them too shiny, so cleaned with some spirit, or petrol and then a wipe over with an oily rag is sufficient. If you want shiny, it would be a Brasso or Peek job, with lots of work on the brass.

Would like to see some pics of your finds if that is posible?

Cheers

Dave
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Answer thank you Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

Sounds like a filter wrench, simmilar to the modern filter strap, you would use with your ratchet.

£5 is a good price, just look on ebay for the prices they fetch!

Cleaning it, well I don't like them too shiny, so cleaned with some spirit, or petrol and then a wipe over with an oily rag is sufficient. If you want shiny, it would be a Brasso or Peek job, with lots of work on the brass.

Would like to see some pics of your finds if that is posible?

Cheers

Dave

I'm pleased about the price..I also purchased an old small adjustable spanner(a King Dick)..very useful for a pound.The chaps around that stall looked a bit concerned when I was asking about old tools.You will see from previous posts I am hoping to buy a Bullnose Morris so I am just getting a few old tools together. My father was an engineer and serviced all his cars, for the old ones he would make the parts for them.I was brought up listening for odd engine noises. Very useful... Yes I will take a picture of what I have already .I have a beautiful adjustable spanner made over 150 years ago .That was used for a cart wheel.Sorry what is a Peek job? The filter wrench will go to a good friend who restores and rebuilds cars. I sold one of his cars e bay for him. Pat
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds good!

Brasso and Peek are both polishes. So I was meaning lots of elbow grease with the use of a good polish. Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am rich!!!! Don't forget, it is for restoration, so take that into consideration with the price!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Kismet-Junior-Foot-Pump-for-Restoration-see-d_W0QQitemZ230351963786QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET?hash=item35a20c068a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

He has others too!

Might make an offer, £2.00, what do you think? still dear with the postage!!
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: My bargain Reply with quote

My Dunlop pump certainly is a bargain for £5.00 .there is one on e bay for £20 no bids yet and £18 postage.

The one you have referred to seems an astronomical price.I had no idea there were so many makes.

Thanks for all the replies...my friends look mystified when I talk about these things..however I was told I have always been seen in the village as eccentric. Pat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

I am rich!!!! Don't forget, it is for restoration, so take that into consideration with the price!

eck even though it looks quite early, it's a little on the steep side!!!!!!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
eddieg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: VINTAGE PUMPS Reply with quote

Hi Everyone - not much action lately! I've started a new vintage pump business - see this link

www.vintagepumps.co.uk

happy to discuss, buying, selling, restoring or just pumps!

Eddieg
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks an interesting site. I know who to contact when I chose to sell the pumps I have, you will give them a good home! Do you want to buy any tyre pressure guages? Got loads of them somewhere, so could sell a few of them.

Cheers

Dave
eddieg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: pump and gauge sales Reply with quote

Yes, interested in any gauges you may want to get rid of - plus any pumps. If the price is right, I'm your man - but I'm 'enthusiasm' rather than profit driven. So if you have any unusual pumps (or models not on my list - see sales page), I'd be doubly interested!

Best wishes

Gordon
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will have a look through them when I get a chance!

Cheers

Dave
HMK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some fine old foot pumps on this thread Cool

Ok, here's a couple that I've got..........

This first one has been around for as long as I can remember & is my 'regular use' pump - in fact, I used it earlier today to top up the air in a front tyre on one of the Carltons. The original springs on the pivot broke many years ago. I then replaced them with a couple of springs off a scrap later one. These springs have since broken, so I have fitted a large coil spring inside the barrel - probably about 20 plus years ago & with plenty of grease in there, it works fine Very Happy

This is another one - think it came from a garage sale some 15 plus years ago, but never done anything with it..........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: