classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Modernising a Morris side valve engine?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
weve just done 500 miles this week on holiday in the minx up hill and down dale in Shropshire without missing a beat in the hot weather .we counted 5 modern cars with overheating problems .the faces of one car an audi I think it was, was a picture as we drove passed with 5 adults in the minx.

5 adults spend a week "on holiday" in a Minx touring Shropshire in baking weather Shocked......and how far behind was the Japanese film crew? and did you win? Laughing Laughing

llllmikellll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised that 65 thou would even make a noticeable difference on such a large combustion chamber; thinking of the Morris. Maybe the Ford is a much different design.

As for the speedo, I would say your drive cable has oil in it and is drying out. If that is the case and you dont attend to it, the inner drive cable will get twisted to bits. That is - totally ruined.
The variation from day to day will be due to ambient temp. and thus the stiffness of the oil (gunk).

When I do mine, I thoroughly clean inner and outer with kerosene then metho. Maybe soak it for a day and blow through with air. They should both be absolutely clean. Dry it all and lubricate with plenty of puff powder; the graphite power that locksmiths use.
The inner should rotate virtually frictionless in the outer.

Question on you SV. How do the valve stems get lubricated, and how well does it work?
ka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: compression/oil Reply with quote

I agree, I machined 3mm off the head, that ups the compression ratio!

Oiling valves,Ford sv has two kinds of cam follower, a hollow barrel and a solid cast item, both splash lubed, which transfers to valve stem, then guides as there is no valve guide seal.

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: