classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

what i like about Spitfires...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
62rebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: what i like about Spitfires... Reply with quote

and what i DON'T...
they're really just a big Airfix or Meccano kit, and there's not a bolt larger than 9/16ths that should be messed with. i LIKE that...
having been made for just over eighteen years (and based on much older engineering) there's not much difference between the First and the Last. i LIKE that too.
the one i had 14 years ago was a blast to drive AND delivered nearly 30mpg reliably. i REALLY like that...

being 14 years older now, and getting stiffness in the bones..... trying to climb in and out of it while working on it.... I DON'T like that!

seriously, though; i've had little to no trouble installing the '76 1500 into the '79, given that i've removed the US spec bumpers and guards, to retrofit the chrome parts from the '76. the hard-to-source late-79 radiator was gone, so i removed the laid-down mounts to install the upright '76 rad into her.

wish that parts were a little more affordable though...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to need to see some of these motors 62 Smile if you have any digi pics, email them to me direct and I'll pop 'em on here

cheers, R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a productive day off from work resulted in replacing the late model steering column with an earlier model unit with RH dipswitch and central horn push, installation of, but not welding in, of the rad supports and radiator, replacement of bad throttle cable and removal of several stones' worth of bodge-up wiring and extraneous switchgear. also spent some time developing a plan for moving the now-locationless wiper/wash switch and ignition switch. i don't want to use the steering column lock or switch, and i plan to hide a plain keyswitch under the dash, possibly with a remote pushbutton footswitch for the starter.

also gave the rear a long look; the single chrome bumper sits an awfully long way from the body rear panel and i might fab up a filler panel to go between it and the body. give me an excuse for using some stainless button head screws in the holes left from removing the brace...

curiosity: my '76 donor car SCCA dash plate ended with 1978(!) and the one in my '79 ends in 1973........... somebody's been at it before with this car.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: spitfire Reply with quote

Hi 62, I have a '78 midget with the 1500 engine. Once they are set up nicely they are a real little cracker. Lots of low down torque and revvy for chasing punks in Clios. If you post some photos of yours I will show you mine.

Nic
62rebel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have to send them to Rick so he can put them in. got nothing real accomplished this weekend, recovering from a Friday of rain so heavy we might have gotten an average of 5" through the area. the backyard is still so soggy i can't work in it.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 62, recognise the engine?

Looks nice with the stacks on.
Finch661

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liking the picture above... it does seem familiar!

are those carb ram/scoops any good (wouldnt dust and other gunk get sucked into the carb?)
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get the carbs rich enough with the stacks on so I put the airbox back on. It did sound really good, what a shame. This is the engine now.

I went out for a quick blast tonight, I love this car. Very Happy
Dax Rush
Finch661

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an amazing car to drive. my engine bay isnt as shiny as yours, the block has been painted black to match the car, looks very evil (dont know why) i'll post a pic in the morn. i removed the filter box and just have the standard filters on show. get a nice rumble off it when you put your foor down!
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best thing about Spits is that they sell well.... the little darling became redundant to our needs and filled someone elses, who was approving of the mods i'd done! hence my absence from the forums for a bit... no news to share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: