classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

G'day from West Oz
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicle licence in all States of Australia consists of two parts; the road licence fee and compulsory third party insurance.

In Western Australia, cars that were built more than twenty five years ago are eligible for Club (or concessional) licence. (Cars built prior to 1983) The road licence bit is free, we only pay a greatly reduced compulsory third party insurance fee. Provided a car is licenced, all third party injuries are covered in case of accident. This is all part of our licence fee.

Extended third party insurance covers a third party's property (ie the other car in a bingle) but not your own. Comprehensive means you're covered for everything you can think of. (Hopefully!!!) These latter two insurances are an additional cost to the licence fee.

Keith D
hepcat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Austin Seven is stunning! I'm jealous!

What's it like to drive on modern roads? Do you find it difficult to keep up / brake in time / make modern car drivers understand your intentions?
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hepcat,

Thanks for your kind words!

Driving in modern traffic is "interesting"! In the 60km/h speed limits it's not too bad, although hills really slow you down. Mine is the last of the three speed gearboxes and it really needs a four speed. It is usually used on Austin Seven Club events, and the rule in the Club is that we leave at least a couple of hundred metres between vehicles so that moderns can overtake in leapfrog fashion safely.

On the country roads we definitely slow the traffic down. In Western Australia most main roads have a marked cycle track between the car lane and the kerb. If traffic is heavy, then I tend to drive partially in this left lane to allow moderns to overtake easily. Obviously I need to keep an eye out for cyclists, but there are not many outside of Perth.

Braking is a bit of a worry! An A7 driver has to be constantly alert for traffic lights changing and vehicles darting in front and braking heavily. (As one should when driving any car, but more so!) Main Road traffic lights have flashing lights on their approach side that tell you the lights are either at red, or about to change to red. This way we get some warning of traffic light changes.

Although not compulsory, most of our A7's are fitted with two rear lights and have dual filament globes for bright brakelights. We also choose to fit flashers.

Keith D
hepcat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

Sounds like an adventure Very Happy

I've dreamt of buying an Austin Seven before, but I've never encountered one "in the flesh" to really get a feel for them. You've inspired me to make sure I contact the A7 Club here in Victoria.

Is it one of those old cars that a large person can't comfortably drive? I'm over 6 foot, and I suspect that it might not be a dream I can realise if I can't fit behind the wheel!

Cheers,

Hepcat
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hepcat

The Victorian A7 Club are a great mob. They have a manufacturing division that make many spare parts. Some are exported to the UK and sold through the various networks and outlets.

Several of our WA Members are around the six feet high and they seem to fit in OK. (I'm 5' 11" and I have no problems) A couple of Members are built like gorillas. By that I mean they are as wide as they are high! Two of these guys have to drive bare footed because when wearing shoes, their feet cover all three pedals!

See the guys in the Vic Club. They will let you sit in the cars and try them for size, before you buy anything! Different body styles will dictate which one you are most comfortable in.

Because the cars are so small, we like to attempt the impossible with them. A group of 3 cars like mine travelled from Peking to Paris earlier this year. The year before a group from Britain drove accross the USA on the old Route 66, dipping their front wheels in the Atlantic one end and the Pacific the other. You can do anything in an Austin Seven! Two of our WA Members took off on a meandering trip to Darwin last year, down through the Alice to Adelaide and then back home. Very few problems with their late '20's Chummies on the 12,500km drive.

When you contact the Vic Club, see if you can borrow a book called "Seven Years With Samantha" by Clive Ball. He drove a Seven from Britain to Oz in 1966/7 and then drove it back to the UK in 1972. I am sure this book will show you the possibilities!

Regards - Keith D
hepcat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith for the useful info. I'll definitely chase it up with them.

I love the fact that your mates have to drive barefoot due to the pedals being too small for wearing shoes!

Cheers,

Hepcat.
highbeam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith in WA

I've just joined here. Love your cars.

I arrived in Australia in 1950 and my first job was with the Austin Motor Company. The factory was situated in Dudley Str West Melbourne. I was boarding in the next street. At that time they were building the A40 tourer plus the sedans. I was a maintenance electrician and in my job I was able to roam all over the factory. The Austin tourer assembly line was next to our elect shop and I used to watch the bodies being put together. There was a small bay where they were carrying out experimental work on the tourers before the project started. Being my first job in a car factory the A40 tourer well and truly stuck in my memory. I think they used to produce 8 tourers a day.

Love your 1932 Austin. When WW2 started some Army officers used to drive these around the barracks. The Jeeps had not yet arrived.

Bill in Melbourne.
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your kind words!

Most people don't realise just how Australian the A40 tourer is! I bought mine from a deceaced estate back in the early 70's when I lived in Melbourne. (Boronia) The deceased owner bought her new in 1950.

Thank you for the info on the building of the tourers. I contacted Leyland back when I first owned her, requesting details about tourer production. Leyland (Austin division) wrote back telling me that I had rocks in my head! What I was talking about was the A40 Sports. So I sent them a photo of my car and they wrote back suggesting that it had been a home made job! With records like that, no wonder Leyland folded!

The baby Seven has just transported me and my wife on an A7 Club weekend away with no problems.

Keith
highbeam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Austin A40 tourer Reply with quote

Hi Keith

I attend the American Car Show at Flemington racecourse that is held every year in March or April. I take my Rambler to display. My two sons also have a 1964 Rambler Classic 770 two door.

Last year I spotted this 1950 A40 tourer and of course I just had to take a shot of it. Had a bit of a chat with the owner. Forgot to get his name.
Isn't she pretty.
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that tourer is very pretty!

Your Rambler is also very nice, Bill.

I always had a soft spot for the Rambler Hornet, but I think that was a bit newer than yours? Were they not assembled by AMC in Port Melbourne?

There was a close tie up between Austin and Nash in the fifties with the Austin built Metropoltan.

Keith
Brookie

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Keith,
As you know I love the older cars and re reading these posts the A7 and especially the A40 brought back many memories.
My first job was with an Insurance company that insured Winterbottom Motor Co. in Perth who were importers and assembly of both Austin and Morris vehicles at their plant at Tighe Road & Bishop Street in Jolimont.
I was lucky enough to have to deliver Cover Notes and other documents between the offices in St. Georges Tce Perth and every couple of weeks go to
Jolimont with an Inspector to check vehicle numbers etc.
When I got my licence in 1953 I managed to scrounge drives in many of these new Austins including an A40 Sports which was very rare.
Finding Kombis very difficult to climb in and out and have just found an Anglia 105E which has been stored on blocks in farm shed for approx 20 years.
Hope to have photos before we drive up to see it.
At least I can do a little bit of work on cars like this Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: