classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Welding, Safety Warning!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Welding, Safety Warning! Reply with quote

Hi

Was weding today, found lots of perosity in the welds, thought another cylinder of gas, put the gun up to my ear and pulled the trigger, there was some gas, so it must have been a draught blowing the gas away.

Anyway as I pressed the trigger the darn wire curled round and pressed into my ear. I nearly peierced it, but heard it sizzling so pulled it away, got a right ribbing by everyone, and it is mega sore on your ear. Man bacon on my hands is an everyday thing, and sparks going in ears, not to bad, but this was painful. so be careful when checking the gas, look at the pressure gauge instead! Rolling Eyes Laughing

hehe

Cheers

Dave
old gto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze buzzy.....
that hurts just HEARING about it!

baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I was welding a farm trailer in a barn.I went to move the welder round the back and found the extesion lead had got caught.I walked over and picked it up as I moved it over the obstruction I suddenly got a really severe shock.Later we found where the cable had got damaged a strand of bare wire poking through the outer casing.
I was lucky.
scott_budds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we gonna learn??? Rolling Eyes There so many threads on here with people either setting themselves on fire or burning themselves....Im not saying Im any better but we should all try a bit harder!!! lol

Buddsy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidents will happen! Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst accident I had with a welder was as an apprentice with Philips/Mullard in the fifties. I was helping assemble a huge spot welder and stood up under the arm which was about five feet from the floor. Had a headache for weeks. Embarassed
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always said to my kids and my Granddad to me
If you've never made a mistake you have never made anything
Yesterday the gas ran out and the welder spit a spark right in my left ear
Now that made my eyes water Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Jim Walker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What price Health and Safety?

In 1983 I decided to sort out my Wife's Herald Convertible. The weather for weeks was blistering (yes IN England!). A lot of welding needed doing and with body parts all over the lawn and only the rolling chassis in the garage I set about it on the lawn.

Too hot for the usual H&S gear I wore only shorts while welding with gas. What a revelation. Sparks bounced off my chest without burning instead of sizzling down inside my overalls while I did a war dance. In what seemed like miles of welding I suffered no burns or even discomfort. Makes you think doesn't it?

By the way. Still have the Herald. Needs doing again now. But we don't seem to have the weather for it, though I have a bigger lawn.
scott_budds

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was welding with a MMA (stick welder) with some 4mm rods some angle iron. It was really hot too so I just had shorts on. Put on welging gauntlets hat and mask. All went well. Next day I had the most painful sunburn up my inner thighs where I had been squatting and the radiation had got right up close to the old family jewels!!! Wont be doing that again no matter how hot it is.

Funny thing is Ive noticed its always hot when I have to do welding...sods law.
wrinx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Walker wrote:

Too hot for the usual H&S gear I wore only shorts while welding with gas. What a revelation. Sparks bounced off my chest without burning instead of sizzling down inside my overalls while I did a war dance. In what seemed like miles of welding I suffered no burns or even discomfort. Makes you think doesn't it?

I was welding a large dust collection hopper a few years ago, when I worked for a firm in your good town....suitably attired for Summer and stripped to the waist.

Next day I was tearing large sheets of flash burnt skin from my chest and stomach...not nice! Laughing

I always wear protective gear now....

wrinx

Jim Walker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose 'flash burnt skin' suggests you were electric welding Wrinx.

I never have been any good at electric welding. Probably because before MIG was introduced gas was more versatile, being much more suitable for light work. I never could adapt to stick welding, and I have never had the opportunity to try MIG welding though I understand it has advantages over gas. My welding in the sunshine was gas welding, so no 'flash burn'.
wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, not so bad then.

Yes, I was using an "industrial" sized MIG welder, it was a fairly big machine but don't recall the power rating.

I've only really used gas on thin material but it was very easy to use, as you say.

wrinx

Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was welding up a Jag XJS. The man is a welding artist and perfectionist who beleives filler is for painters not welders.

Anyway he was sat crosslegged welding/grinding and re-welding when he smelt burning, looked down and saw flames around his crotch. He grabbed the nearest thing to hand to pat the flames out and after a few seconds realised he was using a 2 pound hammer.

After 6 weeks the swelling had gone down enough for us to stop calling him Buster Gonad and 10 years+ later he has 3 kids who look just like him (poor sods).

I've leant on frsh seam welds and given myself a serious burn on the hand (lots of water - 30 mins at least plus daily application of lavender oil to reduce scarring) and nearly lost my thumb gas welding.

I'm now better at it but not much more careful!
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a quick arc weld wearing trainers (don't do it!) and a hot piece of slag burned through one of them. I did something resembling a sword dance before managing to tear the trainer off. It took three months and many visits to the clinic before it healed. Embarassed
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I allways wear rigger boots, as they are easy on easy off, and that I can get them in size 13.

Same as other boots trousers/overalls over the boot tops when welding! hehe

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: