classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

An MGA uncovered!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result! should be ready in time for the fine weather assuming we get some Smile
I think every roadster/convertible that hits the road around here, lessens the chances for any clear bright sunny days in future!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted and wired the dash (I hate wiring!!) been renovating the instruments like Weshie has been doing on his MGB V8 recently Smile.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking spot-on, was the steering wheel rim in good order or did you have to do it (apologies if you've covered this already Smile) ?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Looking spot-on, was the steering wheel rim in good order or did you have to do it (apologies if you've covered this already Smile) ?

R

Thanks Rick Very Happy

The steering wheel is one of Moss's finest Taiwanese repro's Shocked well not quite; I got it half price as the centre should be painted black; this one got missed! as you can see I haven't got round to painting it yet.
Its ok but the rim,( like the repro dash knobs) is very plasticy Confused I may well replace it with a slightly smaller wooden rim; they were offered as a factory option when new.

Dave
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you mention the repro switches being plasticky. I'm looking for a couple for my Aston and I'm struggling to find the bakerlite ones which are more of a dark brown colour.

MGA looking excellent by the way Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Interesting that you mention the repro switches being plasticky. I'm looking for a couple for my Aston and I'm struggling to find the bakerlite ones which are more of a dark brown colour.

MGA looking excellent by the way Very Happy

Thanks Very Happy If you do find a source of bakerlite knobs let me know, I have a couple of original ones but they are really rough, at least mine are all the same albeit glossy black Confused

did a bit more electrical stuff today; and Bertha (my wife christened her Very Happy ) has lights for the first time in 40 years Very Happy

Dave
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, takes me back to '78/79 when I rebuilt my one. Same colour, I'll scan a picture and post it here Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Looking good, takes me back to '78/79 when I rebuilt my one. Same colour, I'll scan a picture and post it here Very Happy

They would be good to see Very Happy
Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final (hopefully!!) stretch...need to paint the bonnet & boot lid..

Sat them on the body, the boot was ok but the bonnet wasn't sitting correctly; it wouldn't sit on the body Shocked at the front it was about 1/2" to high, at first I thought it must have a twist in the frame, but quickly identified that the bonnet was sitting on the radiator filler cap Shocked , now on an MGA there is no tweaking of the rad, it sits where it sits....but it did seem to be sitting a tad high...I'd had the radiator re-cored years ago...I also had a spare leaky rad comparing the two my rad had a very non standard "filler"that was both sitting higher and further back than standard. First thought was to un-solder the two fillers and swap them, however as MGA rads aren't that expensive new these days ordered a new one.

The bonnet and boot lid have a steel frame with aluminium skins, so could not be "dipped" when the rest of the body was, I have been periodically been stripping the paint and surface rust off, easy on the outer side, but a pain to get the frame clean. In the end I annealed one edge of each aluminium skin (soap going black indicator worked well Very Happy ) and slid the skins off the frames, took the frames down to the local blast cleaner, who agreed to turn them round in a couple of hours Very Happy .

With the frames off I could get better access to the worst of the highs and lows in the skins. With the frames back and skins re-installed, the final tweaking of low spots was addressed with a skim of filler and some stopper.

Followed by a thin coat of etch primer;

Plan is to get a coat of high build primer, and final stopper today, may even get the gloss on if it warms up a bit Very Happy

Dave
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your doing an amazing job,Well done!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlefan wrote:
Your doing an amazing job,Well done!

Thanks Very Happy I'm getting there slowly...!

an update on progress; bonnet and boot now painted

Both now latch, all the bonnet catch parts were missing and I bought new repro bits ...you'd think I would know by now Confused I started filling and bending the Taiwanese finest to try and make them fit Confused ...in the end I sourced a used bonnet catch from a Riley 1.5 from Terry Ferguson classic breakers yard and all was well Very Happy

Fitting the glass in the windscreen also suffered from the east; the brackets within the frame (that always require replacing) sit in the 4 corners of the frame, naturally they are not quite the right angle and the holes for the screws not quite in the same place and our friends from the east decided that the BA threads should be replaced with UNF ... well at least they are not metric !!

You may notice that neither the bonnet or boot are sitting perfectly...a combination of aluminium skins on flimsy frames , with really flimsy hinges! so so further fetteling is require, but they will do for now.

I also fitted windscreen washers; this MGA previously never had them fitted, apart from being a legal requirement it makes sense to have them Very Happy ...

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 25th May 2013 is a date in this cars history...its first run in 40 years !!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Only a couple of miles to put some petrol in and as confidence increased I came the long way home Very Happy , drive was not at all bad, the clutch and brakes are a tad long; may need a further bleed.

Still got some trim to fit; but wanted to make sure all the oily bits worked first !

Celebrating with a beer

Dave
Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like there should be some sort of virtual fanfare...a category in which to announce rebirths like this one. Fantastic result, not many people keep the momentum going to finish a job so thoroughly.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !!

I'm hoping to get her out on her first proper public outing this weekend Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Cool bet you are pleased to her get to this point .

Car looks really good.

Jens Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: