classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I work on Classic Cars for income: good idea or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: I work on Classic Cars for income: good idea or not? Reply with quote

In a recent posting on solid copper gaskets ( www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5697 ), I made it known that I'm someone who has turned their hobby of classic car ownership (in my case, Riley RMs) into my income. Rick our forum administrator invited me to describe the experience. If you’re not really interested then jump to the next topic now, because I think this is going to go on a bit!

You need some background to understand why I made this decision. I’m a 1950 model person and since late teens have run a series of Rileys of similar age, and as a result have become pretty conversant with technology of the time – though until recently the only use I had for this knowledge was to help friends from time to time, as well as keeping my own cars running. In my fifties however I was made redundant from a very enjoyable job in electronics design, an industry where advancing age is treated like leprosy, and I had to do something else. A friend suggested I might like to fix a slipping clutch on a pre-war car he knew of, and having little better to do I rolled up my sleeves and did just that. The owner was delighted, paid me for my time, and the seeds of my second career were born.

Before going into it full-time I scrutinised myself pretty hard. The thought process went something like this:
1) Where was I going to do the work? Not at home, a single garage isn’t adequate: I’d have to hire a workshop and pay rent, local authority business rates, and utility bills; and incidentally I’d also need motor trade insurance.
2) How much income did I need to maintain the household? (Much scribbling and calculation!). For the number of hours a week that I would feel comfortable in committing to working, how much would I need to charge per hour to make that amount, and would customers be prepared to pay that?
3) Would working on other peoples’ old cars all day for money put me off from enjoying my own old motor? Only time would tell!

So, having satisfactorily answered my own stern questions, and with the wolf gnawing at the door handle, “Crawford’s Classic Car Care” was born. I started the business in October 2006 and have been going for over two years at the time of writing. I’m on my fortieth job, with the scope of work ranging from a simple service to a body restoration - the curious can find some photos at www.classic-car-care.co.uk.

Grizzled lifetime garage mechanic I am not and never will be, but for those who (like me) might be thinking of a later-life career change I might already proffer a few words of advice:

• Know your limits; don’t be afraid to push them, but decide whether there are skills or equipment that you don’t want to acquire and will leave to other professionals. Conversely, if you have a speciality, flaunt it!
• Be thorough in everything, or your omissions will find you out.
• Do not skimp on insurance, the implications are too terrible to think about.
• Unless you own a decent-sized workshop, be prepared for the significant and continued overhead of hiring one – even if you close up and go on holiday, the money will still be draining out of your account.
• If you like fiddling with old cars – it’s rewarding, and even fun!

Glenn Crawford
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn, interesting to read your thoughts. As belts are being tightened at the moment everywhere, I think now more than ever many people are looking to diversify into other work, or else supplement the job they already have. I do get asked about how to get started working for a living on older cars, so I can now point enquirers to your post as a good starting point.

So it hasn't dented your enthusiasm for old cars then?

Do you charge a flat rate for a given job, or charged based on the hours that went into the work? or is it a mix of the two?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the incite Glen,

Very interesting - especially given my new interest in the RM series - and good luck for the continued success.
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to Rick; I have a sliding scale of charges, any job of around 5 days or more attracting the lowest hourly rate. I charge a higher rate for shorter jobs - this isn't profiteering, it just covers me for the background admin, disturbance and workshop tidy-up every time a car goes in and out. I am always careful to agree the rate up-front with my customers, and I never agree a fixed rate for the whole job - with an old car you never can tell what you're going to encounter in the way of previous bodges which have to be put right.

I must admit that I'm not finding time to maintain and improve my own car as much as I'd like, but I put that down to my own time management rather than having had enough of old cars! - Glenn
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for posting your second career story and all the ins and outs of the business. My own background is somewhat similar. I'm a '49 model who spent most his working life as an R&D project manager with HP on design of telecommunications test equipment. With the great telecom slump 5 years ago I took redundancy and retired on a modest income. I have a friend who owns a collection of cars, currently 4 RMs, 3 Mk IV Jags, 2 15/50s and a 6/80. Helping restore this lot almost all of which started in barn condition has been challenging and good fun. Whilst the Rileys are interesting cars I must say I really hate working on them. Almost every aspect appears designed to inhibit maintenance. I assume you don't share my prejudice. Wink

Peter
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks Glenn. I think that our hobby needs people like you who have knowledge of and interest in the motor cars that interest us. I have posted before on this subject, but I still see no reason why you should not post on this forum, seeking advice and offering guidance, whether it be on setting up a business like you have done, or on the finer points of resolving an issue with a particular motor. Good luck to you, pity you are so far away!!
PAUL
Ricky426

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact the Admin ENCOURAGED a pro to post his ADVERTISING, is really really shameful.

On the Italian forum (that is all but perfect) if someone writes something about his job (if it's in the car business range of course) as soon as a moderator reads it, it will be immediately cancelled and a PM is sent to the writer.

Following this way, this forum will keep a bad line, for sure... its not business that will keep old cars on the road, but passion. Not the passion of dreamers, but the passion of realists...

I am not against the pros, the restorers, the mechanics, I only think their job must be out of the forum.

Just my 2 cents...
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a considerable amount of work done by a professional restorer on both my 1926 Chrysler and 1932 Austin Seven. His work was excellent and his charges reasonable. His work was good because of his experience of restorations. I'm sure that some of his knowledge was picked up from other people. So I have got the advantage of that experience.

I now consider Chris, (my restorer) a good friend and should he want to join an old car forum that I belong to, I would be very happy for him to do so. He would have a hell of a lot of interesting things to say. Glenn has explained very clearly what he is doing, so what's the problem? I certainly don't have a problem!

Welcome aboard Glenn!

Keith D
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too cannot see a problem with Glen being invited to post his career development of keen amateur into paid work. It is an interesting insight into how 1 person utilised his skills through an enforced change in his life. Thanks to Rick for encouraging the post.
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me as long as there are no phone nos, emails, website addresses and the like there is no means that he is promoting his business.

Whenever there were such posts which related directly to companies and the like which were clear advertising the admin deleted these mails or else were transferred to the correct location ie in the adverts section!!

This forum is a good one just because of the way it is. No strict rules and no self appointed know it all!!!
Everyone in general accepts what the others like even if its not their cup of tea!!
Ricky426

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I thought I was clear. Maybe my English is not so clear, it's not my native language.
I am not against Glenn and his job (which can be the best in the world, I would not make doubts on that) but I am against "telling the other forum members you're a pro".
It's difficult, I know.

I am an employee in the chemical industry, so I can declare it on this forum, because I think none of you would need a ton of hexamethylenetetramine.
But If I write on a chemical forum (if any) I would not say my job.

This is because a forum is an "amateur" place where to exchange experiences. If one of the members is a pro, he or she can write anything he wants, but not mentioning his job. If he/she think that one of the member would need his job, or can be interested, there are the PMs.

If the forum members say "yes, we would like to know who of us are pros", there is one way: paid advertising. Most of the forums that have pros, who make advertising, have a page with "sponsored links" or something similar. In my opinion, I would not like THIS kind of forum.

Again, my 2 cents.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not this again, sigh Rolling Eyes
dalbuie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
not this again, sigh Rolling Eyes

Hi Rick,
Thankfully the vast majority of the users on this forum agree with you - hence it's popularity Smile
I don't think anyone who works on/with classic vehicles is in it for the money, they all love the cars, and I think that's what counts.
Keep up the good work.
Dave
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of us find this info interesting and as previously stated there is no advertising keep up the good work Rick .
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has something different to bring to the forum, different experiences, different advice, different perspectives, and often different questions they need help with. The more active participation the better, irrespective of whether pro or not. But I'm not going down this well-beaten path again.

If Ricky426 is not happy with the current situation, I think the best idea is for him (and UJ) to set up their own forum, then they can regulate it as they wish, with whatever criteria for joining they prefer. And I'll carry on with this one as it has always been, guided by the reasoned comments of the majority.

I bet Glenn wonders what he's got involved with.

Now back to the topic, please.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: