classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I work on Classic Cars for income: good idea or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good debate, isn't it. It would be dishonest of me to conceal the fact that I make my living these days by working on classic cars, and it would be an inappropriate use of this fine Forum for me to try and get free advertising from it.

I don't have any argument with what Ricky from Italy says, except that I have strenuously avoided any sort of self-advertising in my post. You won't find my hourly rates, my address or my phone number there. You will find my website address, but that (as I said) is so you can see pictures of the type of work I get involved in.

I see myself (as I have described in my opening contribution) as just another enthusiast who, by sheer luck, has converted his hobby into his income. Should that bar me from the Forum? I happen to think not, but then I'm biased! And if I ask the occasional question to fill in gaps in my own knowledge, I would also hope to answer some from time to time, to balance the equation. Isn't that the sort of cooperation that the Forum is for?

Finally - if "passion" is Ricky's criterion - let me say that there are few greater pleasures for me than working on a car which has been off the road for perhaps 15 years or more, and returning it to its owner in full working order and with a new MoT! - Glenn
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome glenn

do you know anything about Alvis's? Laughing Laughing Laughing

jason
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: mechanical restoration of the mind. Reply with quote

I think it`s time to put this problem to bed !! During my time served as a qualified mechanic,there was never any interest in computers as they did`nt surface until late in my career.Any knowledge gained was down to apprentice training and day release college---which puts you in good stead for your future.An oasis of information is stored in your memory for those days that crop up demanding the solution to certain problems.
Now---it`s down to a computer plug in device--which tells you the problem onscreen.No need for a mechanic----they perished years ago!
They are now classified as fitters.Since the advent of computers,the whole world has changed--for the better i must admit ! I can communicate with loads of people to share my tips or shortcuts .
On this type of forum,it`s good to utilize the the strength of the members to correct anyone taking the wrong path.Knowledge is priceless to many would be diy mechanics---classic vehicles are there to be cherished and taken care of.I for one ,will always take part in any discussion to tackle a problem---it also unscrambles the brain and shows you still have the will to share your memories.In my case,i have no problem helping the forum,whether paid or unpaid---i`m going on a bit here so i`ll take a fag break!! Keep it up Rick ....

Cheers---Ray the Rocker...
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the views of someone who restores for a living very interesting and have no objection if he makes a few bob. Times are hard and it's never going to be a perfect world for those who wish to avoid the touch of commerce. Many of us sell things on ebay, is that to be frowned on by some? More power to your elbow Glen. Very Happy Very Happy
Ricky426

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, you're the admin and you can do what you want.
We have the same name but different thoughts.
I saw more interest in this post of mine that in my own car's one, maybe I'm not appropriate here...

I can continue chatting with UJ in our own forum!

Peace & Love

Ricky426
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or am I not getting it... what bloody difference does does it make whether someone earns from their hobby or whether they are a fully blown mechanic? if they are on the forum and putting the posts and replies in to help people they have as much right as everyone else, we are here for friendly advice professional or otherwise.
Ricks the man and he says its fine lets get on with it.

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
dalbuie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if I ask the occasional question to fill in gaps in my own knowledge, I would also hope to answer some from time to time, to balance the equation. Isn't that the sort of cooperation that the Forum is for?

Glen, that's exactly what this forum is for. That and to make new friends with similar interests.

I for one found your story very interesting and hope the views of a small minority - of one or two - don't put you off this excellent meeting place. I wish there were more enthusiasts like you close to me.

All the best
D

Last edited by dalbuie on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
andycars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Glen, nice to have you on board! Look forward to you sharing some restoration experiences with us, and if we can be of help along the way, that's fine by me. We can't all be experts on all makes of car and sharing knowledge benefits all of us.
Andrew
wrinx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I've welcomed you yet Glenn, but welcome.

Always good to have some experienced and knowledgeable people about the place Very Happy

I think many of us would like to give up non-automotive daytime jobs and work on our cars full time...I certainly would! But I suspect it wouldn't bring in the amount of money I need to feed four Alfas!!!

Hope you continue to keep your head above water in these trying times...

wrinx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: