classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Glasgow Transport Museum Launches "Reel Lives" Web
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Glasgow Transport Museum Launches "Reel Lives" Web Reply with quote

The Transport Museum here in Glasgow has just launched its new web site and would like visitors to the site to share their memories -

Link removed (12.11.11) web site now closed. Scotty.

Inside the site there are various sections relating to transport, and I'm sure there'll be at least one that'll take your interest including locomotives, fire engines, etc. Its envisaged that as time goes by comments submitted by people like yourselves will complete the picture as to what it was like to use of operate them. This is particularly important if we're to engage with younger members of society to give them a "feeling" of what it was all about.

As a PS - the South African 15F locomotive you will see on the site has its Massive Moves tv program repeated tonight on Channel 5 at 8pm I'm told. For those who haven't seen it before its about this huge locomotive being returned to Scotland from South Africa and all the trials and tribulations getting it there!

And if you watch it you'll be able to join in singing that stirring anthem again about how the locomotive was being moved! Wink

Scotty.

Last edited by Scotty on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Scotty. I have bookmarked it and will keep a very close eye on it!

Another hobby of mine is locomotive modelling, specifically steam locos used on the Western Australian Government Railways. A very large number were built by the North British Locomotive Works in Glasgow.

Keith
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Questions. Do you know what route they took from the works to the dock and what dock did they go from? My wife and I were trying to figure out where the street scene picture was taken.

Art
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

I think, but don't quote me, the film clip if that's what you're meaning shows the low-loader coming out onto Atlas Street and from there onto Springburn Rd, but I could be talking a load of twaddle. The crane is at Finnieston, Queens Dock before they filled it in for the SECC - the crane still stands there today.

What I can do Art if you want is I have a guide friend who was involved in the moving of steam locomotives from North British and you could get it from the "horses mouth", so to speak. Do you want me to find out if he'd like to chat with you - if you're happy to telephone him one evening?

If that's too much, I'm happy to ask him and I'll post it here. Wink

Scotty.
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty,

It was the building in the background we were trying to identify. That would do. My wife is an Anderston girl so it her patch.

Art
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening day for the all new Glasgow Riverside Museum

Hope it all goes well Scotty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: