classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Mercedes Benz 190 w110 Fintail
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: 1965 Mercedes Benz 190 w110 Fintail Reply with quote

She was found rotting in undergrowth in a junk yard next to my freinds land.
He did a deal today with the owner and we pulled it round into his workshop to get to work stripping it down ready for restoration!

Its in suprisingly good condition considering its been sat in brambles for years, and on initial inspection only needs 2 tiny bits of welding on the NS seal! Even got her started with a fresh battery and a glug of petrol in the carb chamber!

After the brambles had been cleared

Interior is in really good condition

Then pulled her out of the corner, and into our yard

Gave her a wash

And where we will be doing the work, a nice heated workshop Smile

We spent yesterday afternooon stripping the interior, and the floors 99% rot free, only needed a small repair in the boot floor (drain hole rusted out)

Comments welcome Smile We dont know a great deal about the car as of yet, as it was a spur of the moment purchase, so if anyone has any knowlodge on classic Mercs, please fill us in!

Last edited by 3amigos on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find and worthy of a restoration. Parts should still be readily available although at a cost. The 190 was the smallest engined base model in the Fintail range

The 4 door Heckflosse (Fintail) models were produced from 1959 until 1968, these are also called W110, W111 and W112 by Mercedes-Benz. They were known as the 190, 190D, 220, 220S, 220SE, 300 SE and 300SE LWB (Long Wheel Base), after 1965 they were replaced by the 200, 200D, 230 and 230S. The 220 SE was replaced by the 250SE (W108), the 300 SE and SE LWB by the new W108 and W109 300 models.

The 2 door models were produced from 1961 until 1971, these are also called W111 and W112 by Mercedes-Benz. They were known as the 220SE, 250SE, 300 SE, 280SE and 280SE 3,5 Coupé and Convertible. Mercedes didn't really had a suitable successor for the 2 door models, although you might mention the SLC models as successor of the 2 door models..

Why the name Heckflosse ?
You might have heard that some cars are known under a nickname. Well, the name Heckflosse, or Fintail in English speaking countries, is just a nickname given to this type of Mercedes. Because these cars show American influences, in this case the little 'fins' on the back wings (though in comparison with the ones found on the Americans these fins are barely noticeable), people started calling them Heckflossen. It must be said that the name is not officialy given by Mercedes-Benz. The word Heckflosse is simply the German translation of the word Fintail, 'Heck' means 'tail' and 'flosse' means 'fin'

The 2 door models can't really deserve the nickname Heckflosse because the Coupés and Convertibles lack the prominent 'fins' on the rear but they do share some mechanical elements with their 4 door sedan brothers and sisters
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find, and the condition beneath the moss looks very encouraging. Look forward to following the rebuild Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Regarding the other models, the guy who sold us this one also has the diesel version (190d) although the bodywork is in a lot worse state than this one.

We are considering purchasing the second car for parts (has really good bumpers etc) but we are toying with the idea of using this shell to restore the diesel model, as these are apparently rarer, and for the fact it will be more economical.

Unsure what the best route to take is?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was mine I'd keep it original (plus I'm no fan of old oil burners anyway Wink), the spare chrome bits on the other one would be handy to get though, as I expect M-B charge plenty for new items!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what im thinking Smile

It seems as though a replacement rear bumper is the best part of £800, so the amount the guys asking for the whole car is more than worth it!

And im sure we could sell the engine and any other unwanted parts to fund this car.

One option we were looking into was to do a modern resto, should we having real problems sourcing parts like brakes etc. Maybe using slightly more modern parts to make the car a more usuable classic. Again though, this will detract from its originality so we will most likely end keeping to the origanal parts.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed an old Mercedes Minibus in the background. That model, used to be a Tempo before Mercedes took them over, was a nice vehicle. They are quite rare these days. A friend has a pick up version to take his tractors to shows.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking motor and considering where it has been is remarkably sound. Not surprised it started - Merc engines are almost indestructable. Once when an RAC man was out to another of my cars he saw my 87 Merc and commented that it was made in the days when engineers and not accountants designed cars. Yours fits into the same category. Enjoy the restoration and look forward to seeing more pics as it progresses.
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
I noticed an old Mercedes Minibus in the background. That model, used to be a Tempo before Mercedes took them over, was a nice vehicle. They are quite rare these days. A friend has a pick up version to take his tractors to shows.

That one actually has a fully rebuilt engine sitting it, but is just being left there to rot!

And yeh, these cars really are built well - although there built with common sense in mind. When stripping the interior it all comes apart so simply, unlike modern cars where you cant take a certain peice off unti youve removed the bits around it!

Progress wont be too quick on this, as 2 of us our students, and ones a postman - so theres not a massive amount of cash to pour into it!
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I remember, can anyone shed any light on the position of the indicators, and why they are on the wings apposed to being under the headlights?
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a combined side lamp and indicator under the headlamp. The indicators on the wings were side repeaters as far as I remember
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
There should be a combined side lamp and indicator under the headlamp. The indicators on the wings were side repeaters as far as I remember

Well thats what I thought, but there is no where they could have been fitted, no holes?!

Looking on google images, seems some do and some dont, must have been an option maybe?

On the subject of options, the tow bar on the car is an original dealer fitted item weve been told!
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these in the seventies, and the indicators were like yours, on the wing. The sidelights were in the headlights. Mine was a striaght six with fuel injection, very advanced for 1965. Gear lever like a thick knitting needle, as I recall.
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that yours is a column gear change. Mine was on the floor.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just a thought, I can't see any amber lights to the rear either.
If it has red rear indicators that could point to it being an import from somewhere with RHD and red rear indicators.

I'm sure that there is some statute about front indicators being at the front once semaphores disappeared.

What about front marker lights?
Are they inside the headlamps?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: