classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Mercedes Benz 190 w110 Fintail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the rear indicators are red. Side lights are in the headlights.

Few more pictures here in no particular order:

Comrade-Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky buggers! What a find.
[/seething with jealousy] Razz Razz

Picture taken in 1960??
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find! I used to have a Merc 114 250C.E Pillarless Coupe, and the R.A.C Man said that they were so far ahead in technology He pointed to the Charcoal cannister on mine and said they were only just being fitted to modern Cars (This was about 15 Years ago)to regulate emmisions! One thing that would be worthwhile though is to Contact Mercedes Benz and they will give you a copy of the factory records!

Good Luck
3amigos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul Smile

Beetlefan - we are planning to pop into Mercedes next time we are passing, see what they can tell us about the car!
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that whatever indicators are fitted to the front may well be correct. I have just found a couple of pictures of a 190 with the same front and rear set-up as your car

Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find.......always regret selling my old Merc. As it is a 1965, red rear indicators are legal for cars before Sept 65.
3amigos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found THIS site rammed full of info, so this will be a briliant refrence point for us.

I thought I would share a few more photos, no real progress yet though Sad

The worst rust the doors seemto have!

90% of the chrome is in top condition!

Boot solid apart from the right hand side

Started stripping out the interior

This is how we got it out of the place it had been abandoned!

And some of the other gems rotting away

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a really interesting place, the Austin seems like it'd be worth rescuing too! and the military lorry...

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like the trackster! It must have a big winch as it has a ground anchour! Would be a useful tool for recovery work, bet that could quite easily pull most things on the winch!

Would rescue that!

Cheers

Dave
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Austin's an early Westminster A90 built between 1954 and 1956

It certainly is worth saving
3amigos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: todays work Reply with quote

Spent some time on the car today;

Started out by starting to clean the interior, so gathered the tools we would need:

Then got to work

We soon got bored of that though, so decided to start stripping the exterior trim on the car. Rear lights were first to go;

We then assessed some of the rust on the seals, going to need a fair bit of work, but there not too bad considering..

And the boot floor

Undersides pretty solid:

We then decided to remove the glass. We did this by simply cutting out the old seals to save time, as they need replacing anyway!

3amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: update coming soon! Reply with quote

Sorry guys for the lack of updates!

Ive (Martyn) been away from the project studying for my exams the past couple of weeks, and the others have been going at it! (without taking pics Sad)

As it stands, the engine is ready to be lifted out, and the whole car is pretty much stripped!

Just looking around for a bodyshop at the moment - If anyone knows of any decent ones in the Kent/South east area let us know!

Martyn
quatro

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Nice Merc Reply with quote

Hi guys Just found this site looking for info on my Merc Iv got a 1965 white 190C finfail automatic Love it to bits It was done up before I bought her Had a few little niggles with the electrics The biggest problem Iv had was it failed its MOT on the front top wishbone bushes Hope you dont need to replace them as Iv hade to replace the King pins as well as the bushes would not come out Not sure were you guys live but a good sourse of spares is Jacksons Classic Merc spares 01202666330 The store man is very knowagable Another little item you may look at on the rebuild is the light clusters at the rear which all unplug The earth tag is only riveted and on mine had corroded loose I soldered on an earth wire and solved the problem Good luck guys If I can help in any way get in touch
3amigos

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening chaps....majorly late update....

Progress has been slow over the last month or so, ive been living in the university library "studying" and taking exams, and the other guys have been busy with other projects...

However, all the crazyness is over now, so can focus on the car, and that can only mean one thing...update time!

So, last weekend the engine came out! Unfortunatly we didnt have an engine lift handy, we had a JCB and some strops....

All well smoothly enough, and we left the engine sitting on the deck ready for attention. It runs really well, so theres no plans for a rebuild, just a good tidy up and re-paint.

We then managed to source a donor vehicle (a diesel), thats in a very bad state. The bumpers are ten times better than ours, so it was worth the money for those alone!

Ten minutes later it was in our yard with the bumpers off. Note how we simply ripped the front off as the bolts were rusted solid. The whole shell is beyond repair, so we didnt feel to bad for ripping the front off, and (accidently) twisting the rear out of shape whilst towing it...

We are now left with a prediciment. The interior in the donar car is in better condition (only slightly mind, its mainly just not as dirty!) and has the optional arm rest and centre cushion. BUT it is in a different colour...

I think we should stick with the original interior, as its an original restoration (and the couple of small marks on it simply show its history), but the others want to use the donar cars interior...whos right?

Anyway, we then set about stripping the rest of the car down, and its now sitting as a pretty much empty shell. All thats left to do is remove the subframes/suspension/brake lines etc.

Heres a load more pictures in no particular order:

And the bodywork, looks worse than it is:

Cool
3amigos

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice Merc Reply with quote

quatro wrote:
Hi guys Just found this site looking for info on my Merc Iv got a 1965 white 190C finfail automatic Love it to bits It was done up before I bought her Had a few little niggles with the electrics The biggest problem Iv had was it failed its MOT on the front top wishbone bushes Hope you dont need to replace them as Iv hade to replace the King pins as well as the bushes would not come out Not sure were you guys live but a good sourse of spares is Jacksons Classic Merc spares 01202666330 The store man is very knowagable Another little item you may look at on the rebuild is the light clusters at the rear which all unplug The earth tag is only riveted and on mine had corroded loose I soldered on an earth wire and solved the problem Good luck guys If I can help in any way get in touch

Hi pal, thanks for the info, we will be sure to get in touch with the company mentioned as we are starting to make a list of what we need!

PM me your email addy if you could, so we can liaze with any problems we have Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: