classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car History, Finding more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
scott_budds

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Car History, Finding more Reply with quote

Mods not sure if I have posted in right place or if this should be in general chat but please move if you think it should be there.

As many of you may know I bought my 1985 TE with no history other than the previous owners name and address. I was interested in finding more and contacted Lotus who was able to tell me I have the original engine and gearbox and the chassis number all tie up too. They were also able to tell me the name of the dealer they sold it to and the date it came off the production line and the date it was first registered.

I was still hungry for more so I filled in a V888 which I down loaded as a pdf from the DVLA.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_10016794

There is a section where you have to say what info and why you want it, in which I wrote I was looking for any previous owners and registration marks plus any other information they may have on the car as I am restoring it and have no other information and I would be using the information for my own personal interest. This cost £5.00. After a couple of months I was worried it may have gone astray in the post so called them and they said all was well and they were still awaiting sum micro film info to come back to them etc.

Well today I got my file...all info on all 8 previous owners and previous reg marks. Copies of some of the older change of owners stuff etc.!! Very pleased now I have some interesting history. I was interested to see the owner before the PO had sold the car then had it returned after a couple of months?? Was this how my car ended up being stored with no head for 14 years when it had been sold to an unhappy new owner who returned the car after engine trouble? I’m not sure but it does look like it to me.

In summery any one who wants to know more about their car I would say paying the £5.00 to the DVLA is a good place to start.

Hope this could be of use!!

Buddsy Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice to hear a good story that has worked out well! cheers for sharing it with us!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Buddsy, interesting to hear that, I think I'll give it a whirl Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
scott_budds

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found the first owner on google and emailed him. Sadly he has since passed away but his son was really interested in my resto. Hes going to scan some pictures of the car for me too!! I am well chuffed as I have never seen the car in good order!!!

Buddsy Razz
Negative Creep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew that! Surprised they only took a couple of months to do it though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: