classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

seatbelts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
bopper59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: seatbelts Reply with quote

hi all,
still working on my '61 ford consul mk2,
when its finished, i want to be able to carry my son( present age 6yrs, by the time the cars finish he will be 106yrs ha, ha!), i looked for information on seatbelts and it said " if there are no seatbelts fitted, you are unable to carry children"
so my question is, how easy is it to create fixing points for seatbelts or can any one suggest a good point in the car strong enough to fix a seat belt to, (a seat mounting etc)????????
i don't really want to fit seatbelts but needs must, also i would like to just fit one in the back for my son, but i don't think i am able to,
any suggestion/ advise appreciated,
many thanks,
regards,
mark
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

We had a good chat about seatbelts not so long back, have a look at this thread (which also started off regarding a Mk2 Ford):

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5226&highlight=seatbelts

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bopper59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: seatbelts Reply with quote

thanks rick, thats been some help and encouragement, i had some advise on the subject yesterday from other sources and it left me with a horrible thought to abandon my beloved project, but this has proved it can be done,
thanks again,
regards, mark
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

In the 60s I worked at a Ford main dealer in Glasgow I can tell you that the seat belts we fitted to the MK2 Consul/Zephyr range were static belts made by Irvin Airchute. The were floor mounted using small shackles and eyebolts with a 3 or 4 inch diameter re-inforcing plate top and bottom. I only remember them being fitted to the front seats tho'. I fitted a set to my A70. You could pull them up really tight and it would prevent you sliding around on the bench seats.

Art
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seat belts fitted to my 1958 Aston and it's a great job. I'm sure I posted details and pictures on here about a year ago, I'll see if I can find the thread. Rich...

p.s. Just looked and I was thinking of the same thread that Rick has mentioned already. Quickfit in Stanmore are the people, ask for Pavel...
bopper59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: seatbelts Reply with quote

thanks guys for all your advise and help.
regards
mark
bopper59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: seatbelts Reply with quote

47jag,
the seat mounting points have re-enforced plates welded into the floor, would these be suitable anchor points for static seat belts,
many thanks for you advise and time,
regards mark
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

You would have to really assess the condition of the surounding metal before using these mounts. Don't forget you life may depend on it.

Art
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickfit will obviously soon asses this for you...
richardlw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously lap only belts would be the least obvious, or even a tether in the back for child seats, but I wanted to go the whole route of full shoulder belts up front and lap belts in back for y grandkids. here is how it is going together cutting a box for the retractor. No finished pics yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: